RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Efficiency fix

read 1353 times • 27 replies • posted 10/31/2012 6:08:38 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

sharpe1987 8:
1) Can I determine how much my efficiency is off by figuring out how much I miss my starting gravity by? I.e. Intended SG: 1.040 Actual SG: 1.030 Efficieny 25% lower than I thought?

2) If I have figured out that my efficiency is 13% below what I previously thought (, do I make up for this by adding 13% more base malt or distribute the 13% out equally amongst all the malts in the grain bill?

Cheers
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
FlacoAlto 3810:17
1.) yes that should be correct

2.) it is not quite that simple, you need to multiple the original amount of grain by your first estimated efficiency & then divide by your actual efficiency. For your example in 1) above, this would meen you need 33% more malt to get the gravity you wanted if your O.G. was off by 25%.
10/31/2012 6:58:23 AM

Private message send the author a private message

HornyDevil
IMO, if you determine that your efficiency is poor you should try to figure out what is causing it to be that way. Sometimes a small change in technique (finer grind to your grist, increased sparge time, different sparge technique) can lead to a significant increase in efficiency.
10/31/2012 7:08:40 AM

premium
JulienHuxley 3162:262
For my first two all-grain batches I have gotten decent efficiency up in the 80% range but really got bad efficiency on my last batch that had 55% wheat malt in it which resulted in my wort being 11 pts under what was expected (1.044 instead of 1.055). After reviewing my process, and reading on the different forums, I found out that even if I adjusted my mill to a finer grind, it was still probably too coarse for the wheat malt. I was worried about getting a stuck mash, but I will grind it finer next time.
10/31/2012 7:59:34 AM

premium
harrisoni 13797:22
Efficiency is currently my biggest problem. Iíve only done one all grain so getting my mash technique right is an issue. Iíve been using a mash bag in the past when I was doing partial grain but I guess now I need to do away with the bag and just mix the grain and brewing liquor together, do the mash and then strain out the wort somehow?
11/5/2012 4:58:00 AM

Unclerudy 12:3
Just get a 10 gallon igloo cooler to mash in. SOmething like 35 bucks at Home Depot. And buy a bazooka tube for another 35. Mash problem solved.
11/5/2012 5:55:04 AM

premium
harrisoni 13797:22
Originally posted by Unclerudy
Just get a 10 gallon igloo cooler to mash in. SOmething like 35 bucks at Home Depot. And buy a bazooka tube for another 35. Mash problem solved.

Sorry I live in that small province called the UK, so donít have access to a Home Depot, but I guess I know what you mean.

However, what is a bazooka tube?
11/5/2012 7:01:26 AM

Bilk 16:3
I googled it, apparently itís a car stereo subwoofer.
11/5/2012 5:15:03 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Unclerudy

Sorry I live in that small province called the UK, so donít have access to a Home Depot, but I guess I know what you mean.

However, what is a bazooka tube?

An alternative to a false bottom. These guys are building their own:

11/5/2012 8:33:56 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by sharpe1987
If I have figured out that my efficiency is 13% below what I previously thought (, do I make up for this by adding 13% more base malt or distribute the 13% out equally amongst all the malts in the grain bill?

Cheers

Various bits of software will help you figure this out.
Hereís one free option:
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe
11/5/2012 8:37:01 PM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by Bilk
I googled it, apparently itís a car stereo subwoofer.

Heh. Had one of those back in the 80ís. Now, Iíve got the brewing kind.

Ian, I canít recommend a 10-gal (US) Rubbermaid cylindrical cooler highly enough. Yes, itís bloody expensive, but itís a *great* mash tun. And large enough to enable you to do sparge-free mashing like I do (ca. 80% efficiency with Weyermann PA Malz...without sparging). And my beer turns out fucking great.

Speaking of which, batch 124 today shall be a black half-IPA of ~1.036 OG and 100+ IBU. (0 ITwigU.)
11/6/2012 3:17:37 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add