Efficiency fix

Reads 2548 • Replies 27 • Started Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:08:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 03:27 Tue 11/6/2012

I am going to try one more thing before i spend £100 on a cooler. need to get to the home brew shop to get some more ingredients. almost the best bit hunting through the hop fridges.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 07:13 Tue 11/6/2012

The igloo 10 gallon is the only way to mash. You will not be disappointed.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:45 Tue 11/6/2012

Originally posted by Unclerudy

I disagree. I’m an advocate for a rectangular cooler. Plus, generally they are cheaper than the igloo 10 gallons and work just as well. It’s a matter of learning your system. Something that insulates and filters is all you need. As for a bazooka screen, it is this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-bazooka-screen.html. It is marginally cheaper to make your own analog but not really worth it imo. This screen works beautifully.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:21 Tue 11/6/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by Unclerudy

I disagree. I’m an advocate for a rectangular cooler. Plus, generally they are cheaper than the igloo 10 gallons and work just as well. It’s a matter of learning your system. Something that insulates and filters is all you need. As for a bazooka screen, it is this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-bazooka-screen.html. It is marginally cheaper to make your own analog but not really worth it imo. This screen works beautifully.

FIFY

I agree that the rectangular coolers are just as good, and cheaper. They also make it easier to build your own manifold that will work better than the bazooka screen. And manifold will be cheaper than the screen if you have a couple of common hand tools. Cheaper cooler, cheaper manifold.

I’m not so keen on his actual manifold design, but here you go:

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:22 Wed 11/7/2012

Well, I get close to 80% efficiency with my cylindrical cooler & Bazooka manifold...withOUT sparging. A cylindrical tun provides a superior "mashing geometry" as I’ve heard or read, is better for stirring, and should definitely hold its heat better, owing to much reduced mash surface area.

Rubbermaid used to (at least, not sure about today) say that theirs is good for holding hot liquids as well as cold, whereas Igloo told me theirs is not recommended for hot liquids.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:23 Wed 11/7/2012

Are there any commercial breweries with a rectangular mash tun?

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 09:48 Wed 11/7/2012

We use a braided mesh tube thing, it almost completely stops any particles during run-off, but the problem is that last time it floated up and poked out of the grain. Does anyone have any idea on how we can keep it down under the grain bed?

Originally posted by keanex
We use a braided mesh tube thing, it almost completely stops any particles during run-off, but the problem is that last time it floated up and poked out of the grain. Does anyone have any idea on how we can keep it down under the grain bed?

I use the same thing and have really only experienced that problem one time. I think that was just the result of hitting it with the spoon while I was stirring the mash. What is your water ratio?

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 10:37 Wed 11/7/2012

We use roughly 1.25 quarts to pound, I think I may have roused it while stirring as well. One option I was thinking is just putting a stainless steel block in the middle to weigh it down. I guess I could try being careful next time as well...

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 10:42 Wed 11/7/2012

Is your tube attached to the outlet valve? Just make sure the bend is towards the bottom of the cooler. Or tape it down.

I find that I batch sparge in mine, that I let the wort drain once, and add the rest of the lauter in and stir up the mash, and let it sit for 15 minutes before I vorlof again, and I am hitting close to 85% efficeincy.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer