RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

England Bound

read 888 times • 32 replies • posted 6/21/2013 6:17:41 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
chriso 7396:383
Originally posted by Beersiveknown
House of trembling madness a good bottleshop in York

Seconded. Also take a look at the bar upstairs. Not the biggest beer range in York but ... - well, take a look and you’ll see what I mean.
6/21/2013 11:14:53 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Let me know if your coming to Craft and we’ll meet up
6/21/2013 11:46:11 AM

DJMonarch 9159:83
Have a great tour and hopefully see you at the GBBF!
6/21/2013 11:51:34 AM

premium
harrisoni 13856:22
If you are cycling then check out www.sustrans.org

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map?lat=52.9399536226057&lng=-2.3247582499999453&zoom=6&route-type=all-routes®ion=England

Which is the UK site for official cycle routes around the UK. The link above is to the UK. They often take you away from main roads onto quieter roads and are really bloody brilliant. I’ve seen bits of Kent I wouldn’t have done otherwise with Sustrans.
6/21/2013 12:16:05 PM

premium
TimE 3261:251
Thanks for all the advice. Just rattle off various point

- I am hoping I can make it to Kernel at 9am open and then get to Birmingham for 130pm. I haven’t looked into schedules yet, but will do so. Wedding is at 230pm, but we will meet at a train station at 130pm. I guess I will play this by year and see how it goes.

- Never thought of bicycling the canals from York to Leeds. Very good idea. I think I will do that.

- Hillsborough in Sheffield seems like a good plan. I will look into availability.

- Will check out House of Trembling.

- If I pop into Craft I will BM you Dave.

- Sustran has been a great resource and that is why I am thinking to go from Grifton down to York via Sustran recommended pathways. It also allows for a couple interesting pub detours. It seems the area from York to Darlington and the Yorkshire Dales are not really well covered in the Places section. I hope to add a few places to the database after the trip is finish.

I am not sure of the plan for GBBF on Friday. I know KyotoLefty is going to be there and I think he has communicated with some RBers. If anyone wants to get a hold of me, feel free to text at +81-90-6050-7723.

If anyone in Sheffield or York is keen to meet up, I would be happy to do so.

See you soon.

Tim

6/21/2013 5:09:34 PM

premium
shoulderbroken 2107:183
Three RBers from Japan in London on the same day (16th). I am back home for a couple of weeks.
6/21/2013 6:04:40 PM

premium
mR_fr0g 3373:3
Originally posted by harrisoni
If you are cycling then check out www.sustrans.org

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map?lat=52.9399536226057&lng=-2.3247582499999453&zoom=6&route-type=all-routes®ion=England

Which is the UK site for official cycle routes around the UK. The link above is to the UK. They often take you away from main roads onto quieter roads and are really bloody brilliant. I’ve seen bits of Kent I wouldn’t have done otherwise with Sustrans.

Sustrans is bloody brilliant. I can also recommend Open cycle Map
www.opencyclemap.org which has all the national cycle routes and in many cases is moredetailed than Google maps. It is also free as in freedom.
6/22/2013 1:39:37 AM

premium
SarkyNorthener 2109:81
Just be careful getting the train from London to Birmingham. They are not as reliable as those in Japan. Japan is famous for its punctual trains, the UK is famous for its non-punctual trains. Delays and cancellations aren’t uncommon. On many occasions I have been sat on a stranded train for an hour just walking distance to Birmingham. I wouldn’t want you to miss the wedding. Give yourself plenty of time.
6/22/2013 1:57:30 AM

premium
imdownthepub 10468:508
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Just be careful getting the train from London to Birmingham. They are not as reliable as those in Japan. Japan is famous for its punctual trains, the UK is famous for its non-punctual trains. Delays and cancellations aren’t uncommon. On many occasions I have been sat on a stranded train for an hour just walking distance to Birmingham. I wouldn’t want you to miss the wedding. Give yourself plenty of time.

+1
6/22/2013 2:07:52 AM

premium
TimE 3261:251
Noted on the train. Never even thought of that. Just in Japan train time mode, so yes I did assume everything was punctual. I will give myself an hour buffer to ensure I get to the wedding on time.
6/22/2013 2:13:59 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers