RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

England Bound

read 912 times • 32 replies • posted 6/21/2013 6:17:41 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

evilempire 136:58
Iíll more than likely be around when youíre in Sheffield. Let me know if you want the íinsider informationí!
6/22/2013 5:16:46 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
chriso 7428:436
Originally posted by TimE
Never thought of bicycling the canals from York to Leeds.

You might have a bit of difficulty following the canal from York to Leeds as there isnít one! At least not without following a rather roundabout route via Selby.

I think he was talking about following the Leeds & Liverpool canal from Skipton to Leeds. Thatís a straight run - and all downhill as you are below the summit level at Skipton.

If you are coming from Grinton (had a bit of difficulty in identifying the Bridge Inn as you had said Grifton) to York you could conceivably do some of that canalside by picking up the Ripon Canal at Ripon (about half way to York) and then following the River Ure/Ouse for the rest of the way. But, although you can certainly navigate from Ripon to York by boat, I donít know whether there is a towpath the whole way - the Ure and Ouse are river navigations rather than a purpose built canal and those donít always have a towpath, or it may have been lost. I havenít checked it out but you are probabaly talking about at least 60 miles from Grinton to York.

Also bear in mind that canal towpaths may not be quickest cycling. They can be quite narrow, are not always in the best state of repair and are inhabited by all sorts of other waterways users - boaters, fisherman, ramblers and general gongoozlers. You may encounter obstructions such as mooring ropes. Plus itís rather the done thing to keep speed down on towpaths - cyclists have not always had the best reputation amongst waterways folk as they donít pay a contribution to the upkeep (boaters and fishermen have to pay license fees to use the canal) and some do not show the greatest consideration for other canal users.
6/22/2013 6:22:32 AM

premium
SarkyNorthener 2388:92
The amount of fishing gear I have had damaged by cyclists is painful. Hence me and many other anglers not being big fans of cyclists on canals.
6/22/2013 6:41:52 AM

premium
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
The amount of fishing gear I have had damaged by cyclists is painful. Hence me and many other anglers not being big fans of cyclists on canals.

As a former angler and boater I know that cyclists can be a bit of pain, although I canít recall actually getting any gear damaged. Mind you, anglers and boaters are not always the best of pals either.
6/22/2013 6:52:50 AM

premium
EdKing 1983:148
Looking forward too seeing you on 13th at GBBF Tim.
6/22/2013 8:55:25 AM

left_bank 71:58
Originally posted by shoulderbroken
Three RBers from Japan in London on the same day (16th). I am back home for a couple of weeks.

4(1+3)
6/22/2013 3:11:29 PM

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Hi

I am off to England for a co-workers wedding on August 17th in Birmingham. The purpose of the trip is to go to the wedding, see a bit of England, do a bit of bicycling and perhaps visit some clients in London. It is NOT a beer-centric trip at all and beer is de-prioritized, but I am sure it will sneak up on me, as it always seem to do.

This is my tentative plan. Please feel free to critique beer and non-beer aspects. I should say based on photos, I am pretty dead set on the Yorkshire Dales and fully aware there is a good chance of rain.

6th Arrive Birmingham at 10pm
7th Birmingham, pub crawl with co-worker (Craven Arms, Wellington, Post Box, Brew Dog).
8th AM train to York (lunch at Malting), evening at the Yorkshire Tap and Pivini.
9th late afternoon train to Skipton (no drinking).
10th Bicycle to Ingelton (Stay at Marston Arms)
11th Bicycle to Grifton (Stay at Bridge Inn)
12th Ride back to York, or Skipton and then take train, drop off bike. Stay the night in Sheffield.
13-16th in London - GBBF 13th and 16th. I might hit pubs on 14th or 15th, but not a priority at all.
17th Birmingham (AM at Kernel to buy some bottles to take home, PM wedding)
18th Birmingham
19th Fly home

If anyone has bicycled around Yorkshire Dale, would it be feasible to go from Grifton to York, ie. it is nice and pleasant ride, or does it make more sense to go back to Skipton?

Also note, that I am choosing York, instead of Manchester or Leeds, as strange as it might sound, those places donít seems to have centrally located bicycle hires, or if they do, the bicycles are not very good.

I know lots of RBers are going to the GBBF on the 16th, so I hope to see some of you there then.

Tim

Alrighty,

I know from buying it here and seeing posts, but any chnce you can bring and of course iíll buy/trade a really naughty sake?

cheers
6/22/2013 6:59:13 PM

premium
shoulderbroken 2202:193
left_bank, sorry, my mistake, 4 in London!
Tom, I can bring you sake too if you want. Send me a message. Think we spoke about me bringing you Japanese beer but sake is fine too.
6/22/2013 11:00:33 PM

premium
TimE 3365:252
@ChrisO. Thanks for the advice and apologies for the confusion on the town name. I think I will do Leeds to Skipton along the canal, it sounds interesting. I will try not to cause too much havoc.

@Tom, I will coordinate with Shoulderbroken about this, but surely you will get some sake coming your direction.

I can make a couple trades - already one person has BMed me about this. I plan to bring about six bottles to England and share the love with 2-3 people. Also, please note that for an odd reason, which I wont get into, I have access to top rated Canadian Ice Cider (4.1) for 2000 yen (about 13-14 quid), which is cheaper than you would find it in Canada. If you are interested in Ice Cider, sake and of course beer, let me know. My strong preference is to trade with people that will be at the GBBF on Tuesday 13th. Logistically that makes it much much easier for me for various reasons.

Tim
6/23/2013 4:07:20 AM

premium
@ChrisO. Thanks for the advice and apologies for the confusion on the town name. I think I will do Leeds to Skipton along the canal, it sounds interesting. I will try not to cause too much havoc.

Donít worry too much about mowing down a few gongoozlers though!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FoxtonLocks.jpg
6/23/2013 4:40:42 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback