England tonight......

Reads 3165 • Replies 68 • Started Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:16:54 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 17:05 Tue 6/24/2014

Originally posted by madmitch76
Drunken rant mode on: Very entertaining night of footie. England scoring a massive draw against the mighty Costa.Rica. Ye Gods how the survivors of 66 must cringe and even our nearly heroes of 1990 must privately dispare but largely keeping out of plain speaking for fear of upsetting their media contracts that sustain them, remember these guys were paid much less than their modern day pampered countefparts. The worst of it is, I don’t believe we are anywhere near nadir yet. Much of the media are talking up our young guns as if they will be the second coming. Well I don’t think so, we have been here before with the so called Golden Generation. A bunch of players of the highest class when playing.for their clubs yet consistently falling far short of anything worthwhile on the international scene.

What I think is missing is a manager of the old fashioned cut who can look these players in the eyes and tell them the reason they ain’t doing shit is because they are shit. Stop moddycodling these pampered arsewipes. Our glory days are three generations ago. Get over it.

It’s got to the stage where I would rather pick a team from the lower divisions than these preening popinjays from the premiership. I’m pretty.sure you would get a better effort from these guys and no unwarranted millionaire egos in the way.

Can’t finish this rant without mentioning Suarez. Never thought I would see a worse combination of raw talent and outright despiseable qualities than is the unreptentant cheating toe rag that is Maradona, not in my lifetime surely? Fuck me, here we are just 20 years later after said Toe Rag was booted out of USA 94 for snorting God knows what and here we are talking about Suarez yet again. Not deliberate handballing, not racially abusing, not spitting but once more getting those choppers.sunk in. The media are talking about.a 24 game or 2 year ban, piffle! Chuck this scumbag out for good. All domestic and all international. Maybe then the message would at least partially filter down to all these other idiots that there are real.consequences to being a modern day professional footballing arsewipe.

Drunken rant mode.ends.

Keep rolling, Kenny - I’m loving it!

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 13:30 Wed 6/25/2014

Whilst I was in Potatoland, I had the curious fortune to not only watch an Argentine WC match in the social room, but later share a dormitory room with, an Argentine.

I don’t think I said more than one sentence that evening which didn’t include the word "cheat". Maradona was a cnut. Yes I’m that age.

I don’t think Suarez is as bad as Belladonna. He’s just a frickin’ animal. He shouldn’t be given warnings or suspensions, he should probably be put on one of Barbera Woodhouse’s patented training leashes, or simply put down.

And now I think it’s time to crack open a beer, as that’s what we’re here for isn’t it.

(And yes, Sarky one, the homerism is *outragious* in Polish place rates, nearly as bad as Spain!)

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40501 º places 1239 º 13:38 Wed 6/25/2014

Originally posted by FatPhil

(And yes, Sarky one, the homerism is *outragious* in Polish place rates, nearly as bad as Spain!)

don’t forget #@Greece

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 16:20 Wed 6/25/2014

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by FatPhil

don’t forget #@Greece

Yikes. I was thinking Greece as I typed that, but for some strange reason something made me make quite a few typos. Thanks for the correction!

madmitch76
beers 36920 º places 240 º 17:59 Thu 6/26/2014

It’s an entertaining world cup so far. Felt sorry for Ecuador, thought the ref was biased. Equally felt sorry for South Korea, fantastic athleticism but get them neat the 18 yd box and they were like a bunch of nervous virgins on their wedding night.

Hoping for a new tournament winner this time around, 1st choice would be Holland (especially after the disappointments of 74 and 78, especially 78, played dirty 4 years ago and deserved to lose) or Belgium. Less realistically - Chile. Just love the way these guys play together and work their socks off.

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 00:14 Fri 6/27/2014

Originally posted by madmitch76
It’s an entertaining world cup so far. Felt sorry for Ecuador, thought the ref was biased. Equally felt sorry for South Korea, fantastic athleticism but get them neat the 18 yd box and they were like a bunch of nervous virgins on their wedding night.

Hoping for a new tournament winner this time around, 1st choice would be Holland (especially after the disappointments of 74 and 78, especially 78, played dirty 4 years ago and deserved to lose) or Belgium. Less realistically - Chile. Just love the way these guys play together and work their socks off.

Even less realistically - the USA! I actually think the match-up against Belgium is an interesting one, and one that the US stands a chance at winning. Yes, Belgium has looked good (won out in their group, only conceded one goal in those three games and it was a penalty) but they haven’t dominated. The US has looked rocky at times but they’ve also shown their ability to pull it together to score goals (though they didn’t really get it together in the second half against Germany). Additionally, Klinsmann has been doing a good job so far and I expect he will have his boys prepared.

alovelydrop
beers 70 º places 97 º 03:50 Fri 6/27/2014

The USA definitely have a chance aganst a Belgian team that have been pretty poor so far. I like the US side, should be a good game. I’m looking forward to all of the knock-out games, there has been some amazing football played so far and some really entertaining matches (and a few duds, of course).

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 06:54 Fri 6/27/2014

I think Belgium have looked terrible. But they have won three out of three. Living in Japan, that means I have got up in the middle of the night three times to watch very boring games, but each time they won. Playing badly and winning is a pretty good thing to be doing in the early stages of a world cup.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 07:10 Fri 6/27/2014

I’m still betting on Germany to win. Came out well against a tough group. Thomas Muller is on fire and they have a great support for him. Such a great midfield and Mertesacker and Lahm in defence is tough to beat. Also feel France will do well, just need to aim away from the goalkeeper.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 11:07 Fri 6/27/2014

1982 will always be special as it was the first World Cup I remember and that Brazil team is the best I have ever witnessed at a tournament.
1990 was full of terrible boring games but the England games and re-igniting of interest in football was stunning.
But this , so far, is the best World Cup I have watched. Attacking football from the outset. Plenty of shocks, all out attacking lack of anything called defending and a Liverpool player acting like a complete arse.
Watched every game I can and will continue to do so. Great World Cup