Euro 2012 - what are you drinking?

Reads 34452 • Replies 605 • Started Friday, June 8, 2012 9:18:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 19:55 Sun 6/24/2012

No comments on Pirlo’s penalty? The balls on that man to walk up and do that in the Quarters of Euro is unreal.

Fin
beers 17268 º places 1653 º 00:00 Mon 6/25/2012

For once I don’t feel too disappointed losing on penalties. Apart from a short spell in the first half we were second best throughout. I think Roy Hodgson was spot on when he pretty much suggested that rather than lose on penalties it would have been fairer for England to have conceded in extra time. I also think considering the limited time he has had with the squad, the rather sparsh depth of talent at his disposal at the moment then we got as far as we could have expected and deserved. Good luck to Italy, however from what I have seen and heard on the radio I think the Germans are the team to beat.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 00:37 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
No comments on Pirlo’s penalty? The balls on that man to walk up and do that in the Quarters of Euro is unreal.

We call it "cucchiaio"! (the spoon)

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 01:35 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by Fin
For once I don’t feel too disappointed losing on penalties. Apart from a short spell in the first half we were second best throughout. I think Roy Hodgson was spot on when he pretty much suggested that rather than lose on penalties it would have been fairer for England to have conceded in extra time. I also think considering the limited time he has had with the squad, the rather sparsh depth of talent at his disposal at the moment then we got as far as we could have expected and deserved.

Yep, completely agree with all that. I don’t feel sad or bad in any way. The lack of possession by England in all their games shows a real paucity in basic footballing skills and temperament. Being able to find space to receive the ball, finding a colleague in space and then moving into space again yourself is just something of which our footballers seem incapable.

Marko
admin
beers 17677 º places 866 º 02:00 Mon 6/25/2012

Apparently we had semifinals quality. Yay.

If you’d passed, Glen Johnson would’ve probably deserved a statue or something. I love the feeling of clearing/blocking the ball like that :D.

One of England’s strongest weapons would be the wingers’ pace, piling up the pressure, especially when introducing a fresh Walcott later on in the game, preferably to a tired defense but it can’t work every time, even if it only takes a slow left back (or a completely incompetent one or a person playing the wrong position - as it was clearly shown a couple of years ago in those England-Croatia matches) to butcher someone.

Fin
beers 17268 º places 1653 º 02:40 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Fin
For once I don’t feel too disappointed losing on penalties. Apart from a short spell in the first half we were second best throughout. I think Roy Hodgson was spot on when he pretty much suggested that rather than lose on penalties it would have been fairer for England to have conceded in extra time. I also think considering the limited time he has had with the squad, the rather sparsh depth of talent at his disposal at the moment then we got as far as we could have expected and deserved.

Yep, completely agree with all that. I don’t feel sad or bad in any way. The lack of possession by England in all their games shows a real paucity in basic footballing skills and temperament. Being able to find space to receive the ball, finding a colleague in space and then moving into space again yourself is just something of which our footballers seem incapable.

I agree totally about the possession and our failure to keep it, it looked knackering for them players chasing shadows and I note that one stat was showing 67% to 33% in favour of Italy for possession which tells you all you need to know really. What I really worry about is the lack of creative talent in midfield, and I cannot for the life of me see much coming through that excites me. The resolve and commitment was there in abundace, but we really need to go back to basics now and looked at some of the key elements in controlling a game and sadly I don’t think that this is something that will be addressed in the short term. I think for me the fact that I considered Joe Hart to be my English player of this tournament demonstrates just how difficult the tournament has been for us, he was pretty much faultless throughout and looks a great prospect for years to come.

theRunningBoar
02:43 Mon 6/25/2012

Italian clearly better and can also beat Germany on a good day, i think. But it’s amazing to see how slow they play out their attacks. Rarely any one-touch passes, slow switch-overs, ..

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 03:10 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by fiulijn

We call it "cucchiaio"! (the spoon)

It is also known as the Panenka Penalty. Named after the Czech Antonin Panenka who first tried it in 1976 (against Germany). You can find it on youtube as well.

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 03:44 Mon 6/25/2012

Because of the camera angle I thought he had put it wide, and even on the first replay I couldn’t work it out.

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 03:51 Mon 6/25/2012

Originally posted by chriso
Bet365 have a good one on the England v Italy match - bet £50 before kick off and get a free £50 in-play bet. I can back & lay Italy now for a loss of £3 & get a free £50 bet for that.

Did you sell the draw bet or keep it? The odds on a draw became very uninteresting as the game progressed, but would have been worth it before kick off. In the last 10 minutes the odds on a win by England went up to 100/1, win by Italy to 80/1, and a draw 1/100 - even though a draw was likely, putting down a £100 for only a £1 profit was not worth the risk. However, a little punt on both Italy and England to win would have been worth it as both teams could have nicked it.