European vacation (SE, DE, NL, BE)

Reads 9705 • Replies 75 • Started Friday, September 14, 2012 10:33:39 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 10:33 Fri 9/14/2012

chinoskillzian, womencantsail, and I will be doing some serious place/country ticking soon. If anyone wants to join us for a beer along the way, or offer suggestions for any of the towns listed let me know.

September 21-23 Stockholm

September 24-25 Munich (pick up the car at FMM (Memmingem))

September 26 Dusseldorf (with a stop in Frankfurt to slam a litre with the family)

September 27 Koln

September 28 Bodegraven / Borefts

September 29-30 Amsterdam

October 1 Antwerpen

October 2 Brugge (stop at Dranken Geers on the way in)

October 3 Poperinge (staying at St Bernardus hotel, renting bikes to hit in de vrede and hopefully also Struise if I can get ahold of Urbain. Possibly stopping at de Dolle if they’ll let us in on a Wednesday morning)

October 4-6 Bruxelles (might try to visit Tilquin on the way in, havent contacted him yet)

October 7 fly back to the US from BRU

I think the agreement is that we’re only stopping at 1 place before we park the car at the hotel and do everything else on foot or public transit. Will try to get out to Fantome one morning and probably de Heeren another while in Bruxelles.

Not real interested in trading as I’d have to lug all that beer around, and we’re flying Ryanair from Stockholm so the weight limits are much lower, not to mention I already need to pick up a case of beer from a trading partner. I’ll make exceptions for bigger wants (Cantillon or Fantome ticks).

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 10:39 Fri 9/14/2012

looks like a fun trip. gonna be a lot of traveling and moving but you’re covering a lot of choice spots. on your route from from Munich to Frankfurt if have time to stop in Franconia I’d recommend Andreas Ganstaller’s Zoiglstube in Strassgheich about 7 miles east of Bamberg; he may be the most talented brewer in Germany (and the world). if you don’t have time, be sure to stop at Landbierparadis in Nuremberg to stock up on fresh bottled landbier!

have fun you guys, wish I was joining you.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 10:40 Fri 9/14/2012

I hate the edit feature on this site. It always adds a bunch of freaking line breaks.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 10:44 Fri 9/14/2012

Originally posted by 3fourths
looks like a fun trip. gonna be a lot of traveling and moving but you’re covering a lot of choice spots. on your route from from Munich to Frankfurt if have time to stop in Franconia I’d recommend Andreas Ganstaller’s Zoiglstube in Strassgheich about 7 miles east of Bamberg; he may be the most talented brewer in Germany (and the world). if you don’t have time, be sure to stop at Landbierparadis in Nuremberg to stock up on fresh bottled landbier!

have fun you guys, wish I was joining you.

I’ll definitely look into that but the idea is just to stop for lunch in Frankfurt to visit with the family. Not spending more than an hour or two there. I did see them 3 years ago after all... Just kidding, sorta. I also invited them to meet us in Koln and Dusseldorf. Its already 6 hours worth of driving to get from Munich to Dusseldorf so any major detours will seriously cut down on the time I get to spend in Dusseldorf (never been there before).

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 10:50 Fri 9/14/2012

also i hate to be a downer and tell you that you’ll be in the EU but missing out on the best german zoiglfest out there, but you’ll be in the EU and miss out on the best german zoiglfest out there
http://www.ratebeer.com/event/17617/tag-der-kommunbrauer/

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 11:01 Fri 9/14/2012

Stop at Maruhn if you want a nice selection of random German beers. It is about 15 minutes south of Frankfurt airport, and has a very large selection.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 11:16 Fri 9/14/2012

Will no doubt see you at Borefts. Will probably be in Amsterdam on the 30th but not sure yet.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 12:30 Fri 9/14/2012

How do I look up train fares in NL? The Eurail site shows the stops but for anything outside of DE it wont give the prices. A friend is studying in Maastricht and wants to come up to Bodegraven to meet us and hang out in Amsterdam. He just got there a couple days ago so he’s not real familiar with the train system yet.

I’ll wear my avatar for the festival, or else maybe the the baby killer shirt.

Also, for those BMing me I speak some German but I dont speak Dutch (save for a few words that sounds like German words). I have been learning Swedish from Skwisgaar Skwigelf so I am now fluent (and I recently watched all 3 of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movies).

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 12:40 Fri 9/14/2012

Originally posted by t0rin0
How do I look up train fares in NL?

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

Buying tickets in Netherlands is a right pain for visitors. I can never get the machines to accept my credit card and the OV-chipkaart is useless unless you have a Dutch bank account.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 14:20 Fri 9/14/2012

I’m taking a slight detour from these two clowns. Instead of Munich/Germany on the 24th and 25th, I’ll be in Lund/Malmo, but not sure how much hanging out I’ll be doing since I’ll be with a friend who lives there.

But, the plan is to meet up with yespr on the 26th in Copenhagen and tick in a relentless fashion as only can happen in Denmark before my flight from CPH to Dusseldorf at 20:30 that night.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 14:28 Fri 9/14/2012

Ticking with yespr in CPH? Sounds insane.