RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Non-US | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

European vacation (SE, DE, NL, BE)

read 6405 times • 75 replies • posted 9/14/2012 10:33:39 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

premium
yespr 30689:43
Originally posted by womencantsail
I’ve highlighted some brewpubs and bars for the three of us to hit while we are in Amsterdam, but I’ll talk with you in Copenhagen and/or at Borefts and see about doing some real tasting, Danish-style.

Cool. Be aware that Danish samples sizes are much bigger than those at Woodshop and RBSG grand tastings...

/Jesper
9/18/2012 1:48:51 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Martinus 2739:140
Originally posted by t0rin0

September 28 Bodegraven / Borefts

Would be nice to meet you @ Borefts!
9/18/2012 2:49:25 AM

premium
77ships 3546:106
Originally posted by 77ships
Up for joining for a beer in Antwerpen on 01/10

Sounds good. All I know for sure is that we’re doing Kulminator but there are other places on the map. Is Bier Tempel in Antwerp or is that in Brugge? Any suggestions for Antwerp?

Bier Tempel is in Brugge and there is one in Brussels - neither are terribly exiting. Until Kulmi opens - Antwerps Bierhuiske is a nice one & what I would recomend probably besides Kulmi with usually some lambic on tap (Boon mainly). Groote Witte Arend is not bad, nothing rare but new ticks are usually managable - they serve food, haven’t eaten there yet but heard not bad things. Both are very close to each other.
Oud Arsenaal - I don’t get the love. ’t Waagstuk - nice setting, recomended and def not bad to have a drink there, bit further than the others but still center & have a house beer and some food. Paters Vaetje is mainly a student bar these days. Bier Central - not recomended. 11de gebod - nice interieuor.
9/18/2012 3:05:32 AM

ajax25g 59:1
One good option in Brussels is l’Atelier in the Elsene neighborhood.

Address: Rue Elise/Elizastraat 77, 1050 Ixelles/Elsene.

It’s open most evenings and it’s a nice place to drink some interesting beers without any tourists around. Nice and cozy. They have almost 300 beers on the ’official’ menu and about 10 taps. Usually they have one or two goodies on tap that aren’t common.

The owner is an older gentleman and he has a private cellar in the back that you can’t see unless he lets you in back there. But if you get a chance to go back there it can be pretty sweet. You kind of have to prove you are worthy by demonstrating you have an interest in drinking something a bit more interesting than Duvel and Orval. Back there he’s got some Mikkeller, Alvinne, Struise, Emelisse, interesting lambics, some American stuff, and generally beers that are relatively rare. Good luck!
9/18/2012 4:44:52 AM

premium
t0rin0 62:1270
Originally posted by ChinoSkillzian

It’s about time I chime in here....yes it was a magical evening at RBSG, but it was Wu-Tang Clan, not Wesley Willis, right Viktor!

Anyway, yeah unfortunately Finland is not very feasible, but it will be great to hang out with RBians throughout the trip.

I think we can squeeze at least one hotel room tasting in Holland...we will rely on Andrew’s skills, he is the bloodhound of ticks....although I am worried about him missing the flight to Dusseldorf due to over-ticking!

Even with Andrews tendency to sit in the corner by himself and tick without distractions I dont think even he (or any of us) will need any bottle sharing after 8 hours of Borefts, sober or otherwise. Same goes for Amsterdam and gin ticking.
9/18/2012 7:08:26 AM

premium
Where can I buy a power converter? Looks like all you whacky Europeans use 220V 50hz, so that will be convenient. Also, will the plugs that work in Germany, Holland, and Sweden fit into Belgian outlets? They look a little different.
9/19/2012 9:23:31 AM

premium
VsXsV 2144:43
Where can I buy a power converter? Looks like all you whacky Europeans use 220V 50hz, so that will be convenient. Also, will the plugs that work in Germany, Holland, and Sweden fit into Belgian outlets? They look a little different.

Are you sure that you need a converter? Take an extra look on your phone charger etc. They’re often rated for both 110 V / 60 Hz and 220/50. I just needed a plug adapter when we were in the USA.

The plug is almost alike in Belgium. The spacing between the two holes are the same, but the ground has an extra pin. Just make sure than the adapter has a hole for that pin and it should work.
9/19/2012 9:31:11 AM

premium
Originally posted by VsXsV

Are you sure that you need a converter? Take an extra look on your phone charger etc. They’re often rated for both 110 V / 60 Hz and 220/50. I just needed a plug adapter when we were in the USA.

The plug is almost alike in Belgium. The spacing between the two holes are the same, but the ground has an extra pin. Just make sure than the adapter has a hole for that pin and it should work.

I think you’re right. I assume they’ll have a plug like that at the airport?
9/19/2012 9:45:06 AM

premium
VsXsV 2144:43
I think you’re right. I assume they’ll have a plug like that at the airport?

I recall seeing plug adapters at LAX.
9/19/2012 9:48:16 AM

premium
brokensail 10547:800
Originally posted by KnutAlbert
Originally posted by womencantsail
Not sure if we’ll have time for that, but we’ll see. And yes.

If anyone has any specific recommendations for beer places in the London-Heathrow airport, it would be appreciated as we will have a couple hours to kill there.

Beer at Heathrow? In my experience it’s a very boring airport. Check out the British style Cherry Coke. .rar. Also, say bacon in Jamaican to British people. (The two recommendations were from Jens).

There are Wetherspoons pubs with cask ales in several terminals. Not a spectacular range, but a few ticks.Except Termina 3, which is a desert.

I saw those on the LHR website, but wasn’t sure if they really had anything other than the same stuff we get here in the US. I suppose we might as well check them out, since I don’t think there will be much else to do.
9/19/2012 10:03:22 AM

Home > Forums > Non-US

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers