RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Exploding keg critically injures Redhook Brewery worker

read 2019 times • 14 replies • posted 4/24/2012 8:11:10 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
RABinCO 1285:80

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120424-NEWS-120429898

By Elizabeth Dinan
edinan@seacoastonline.com
April 24, 2012 8:22 AM

PORTSMOUTH ó A brewery worker is in "critical" condition after suffering "life-threatening injuries" from an exploding beer keg, said Assistant Fire Chief Steve Achilles.

Firefighters were dispatched to the Redhook Brewery, 1 Redhook Way at the Pease tradeport, at 7:06 a.m. for a report that a beer keg had exploded and a man was seriously injured, said Achilles.

Engine 3 responding from Pease was the first on scene and found the injured worker in a loading dock area, unresponsive and with a weak pulse, said Achilles. According to the assistant fire chief, the brewery worker had been filling kegs with air as part of a cleaning process which removes residual beer from the kegs.

"The keg failed and exploded and he was inured by parts of the keg," Achilles said, adding that it was unknown whether the keg was made of aluminum or plastic.

When Ambulance 2 arrived from Station 2, the brewery worker was found to have chest and head injuries and was in cardiac arrest, Achilles said. He was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by ambulance, in what Achilles said was critical condition with life-threatening injuries.

Achilles said fire department notified the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and itís his understanding that Redhook management is being very cooperative. He said the injured worker appeared to be in his 20s or early 30s but that they donít have identification on him yet.

Police Lt. Russell Russo said an officer was dispatched to the scene to do a preliminary investigation.

By about 9 a.m., several officers were on scene
Private message Send the author a private message

FrumptyDumpty
Are there even Aluminum kegs? Most are Stainless Steel. If it was plastic they are supposed to be pressure tested to something like 3 bar.
4/24/2012 8:16:02 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
RABinCO 1285:80
And heís now apparently died. This sucks for his family and for Red Hook. Will be interested to hear what led to the explosion.
4/24/2012 9:04:58 AM

FrumptyDumpty
Yeah I really wanna know now what happened to lead to this. It says he was cleaning a keg so I would guess it was failuer from over pressuer but still would like to know more as it could be a good lesson for the indursty.

The thing that surprieses me is I would think that that Red Hook is such a large brewery that their keg cleaner would be one that it inclosed and not a single keg at a time.
4/24/2012 9:07:00 AM

premium
GT2 8427:598
4/24/2012 9:08:58 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Yeah I really wanna know now what happened to lead to this. It says he was cleaning a keg so I would guess it was failuer from over pressuer but still would like to know more as it could be a good lesson for the indursty.

The thing that surprieses me is I would think that that Red Hook is such a large brewery that their keg cleaner would be one that it inclosed and not a single keg at a time.

Could be mixing of chemicals inside of the keg as well. As to aluminum kegs, they used to make aluminum ones way back when.
4/24/2012 9:24:03 AM

FrumptyDumpty
Well the chems used that I could think that would be bad would be mixing caustic with co2 but that causes a vaccum and not an explosions if I remember correclty. I guess they could mix and acid with caustic or accident but still seems weird. I would think instead it was a really old keg or something. Noneless this is a really sad event.
4/24/2012 9:31:06 AM

tronraner 2459:109
Yikes. This is quite sad to hear.

Like others, Iím curious what exactly caused this. The keg has to have been damaged somehow... I canít imagine building up enough pressure to explode one like that, even with the right mixture of cleaning agents. Seems like the valve and/or cleaning apparatus should fail before the keg walls. Of course, the description could be exaggerated a bit. I could see it shooting out a not-quite-secure fixture like a deadly projectile... just a thought. It will be interesting to see when the reports on this show up.

My thoughts and a raised pint to the family of the deceased.
4/24/2012 9:53:46 AM

premium
fly 1417:224
SAD, SAD NEWS. My condolences to someone I do not know, but could have been....
4/24/2012 10:05:34 AM

footbalm 1219:69
Horrible news, I know that Jenny from Squatters is up there now..hope she is okay.
4/24/2012 6:00:19 PM

SudsMcDuff 5824:183
jesus... thats horrible!!
4/24/2012 6:17:01 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us