family beer surprises

Reads 815 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:51:21 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beermack
beers 725 º places 36 º 05:51 Wed 7/3/2013

Discovered that my non beer drinking mother (she usually freaks out just smelling an IPA or any other style for that matter) absolutely LOVES Cantillon gueuze - she took a sip from my glass yesterday eve and ended up sharing the 750 with her. Made my day!

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 05:58 Wed 7/3/2013

That is a terrific discovery for both of you. =) It was my uncle tom that liked beer the best and we would sit outside in summertime with a glass of beer. It does make the day a little sweet to be able to sit with a nice glass of something and the people you care about.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 06:12 Wed 7/3/2013

Whoa, that’s awesome! It would be incredible if my family loved wild beer.

waltersrj
beers 280 º places 2 º 07:28 Wed 7/3/2013

The less people that like my Gueuze the better! Now as for anything else, that’s all fair game. ;)
My mom, dad, and wife love everything else which is great!

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 10:19 Wed 7/3/2013

One of my female friends only drinks Coors Light and Cantillon Gueuze. For some reason, women seem to love that beer.

Glouglouburp
beers 6103 º places 423 º 12:56 Wed 7/3/2013

That’s it, case closed, lambics are girly beers. Real men drink Polotmavé.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 14:05 Wed 7/3/2013

I gave my mom a sip of a Schlenkerla and she loved it. I was floored, as Corona is more her cup of tea.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 14:27 Wed 7/3/2013

In the past two years, my mom and 81-year-old grandmother have requested I bring down Bell’s Expedition, Alesmith Wee Heavy, DORIS the Destroyer, and Founder’s KBS/CBS (had to let them down gently on the last one). I was also pleased when they tried a decent porter at a local brewpub and both said it was "pretty good, but nowhere near Expedition."

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 14:29 Wed 7/3/2013

Originally posted by italarican
In the past two years, my mom and 81-year-old grandmother have requested I bring down Bell’s Expedition, Alesmith Wee Heavy, DORIS the Destroyer, and Founder’s KBS/CBS (had to let them down gently on the last one). I was also pleased when they tried a decent porter at a local brewpub and both said it was "pretty good, but nowhere near Expedition."

My grandmother’s favorite beer is Green Flash Double Stout. My mom’s is Lost Abbey Carnivale or Brother Levonian

traPISSED
beers 106 º 14:54 Wed 7/3/2013

Thats fantastic!

My mum hates beer but she is partial to a lambic (Boon Framboise) and a Wit (Blanche Du Namur). My dad was always a big French red wine drinker. He always appreciated a beer but now he believes that a good vintage lambic is just as good as a vintage Margeaux ect. My sister also loved a lambic or two. Her favourite is Cantillon Blabaer. My wife’s favourite beer is also Blabaer.

My parents let me taste rare wines as a kid so now I’m paying them back.

It was a great moment when at a party my dad opened up a 15 year old bottle of Bollinger then I opened up a Zwanze 09! My mum and dad turned around and said, "this destroyes champagne".

My wife digs sours, mostly of the Flemish Red variety, and she’ll occasionally share a stout or something more on the chocolate/coffee side with me. Strangely, the first beer she ever took more than one sip of was Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA.

My mother is a lifetime cheap beer/boxed wine drinker. I shared a can of West Sixth IPA with her recently and she noted that it "reminded her of grapefruit." For a lady who, I assure you, has never tasted an IPA, I was pretty impressed.