FAO t0rin0 and brokensail

Reads 1304 • Replies 15 • Started Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:13:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 19:13 Thu 7/17/2014

Hi guys,

Just a quickly about the Beachwood place at Seal Beach: you both scored it at 94. I have taken advice from you both, read your reviews of many places in South California and have thanked you accordingly.

The place in question just did not live up to the standards I would expect from a bar you had scored so highly. Have you been recently? Did my experience just fall on a bad day? To say I was unimpressed is putting it lightly.

This is not meant to be a major dig, but what made you both score it so highly when I thought it basic and average at best. I am now 60, I think you guys are bit younger, but we all love good beer and like recommending places to drink it in.

A kind reply would be appreciated.

<*))))))><

beerdweeb
19:23 Thu 7/17/2014

Is this a joke? Beachwood is one of the best beer bars and breweries in the country... They took five medals and mid-sized brewpub last year at GABF. And the food is some of the best in the LA area. Not sure what you were expecting...

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 19:27 Thu 7/17/2014

No joke, this is beer site not a food review one. I expect a place with high scores to be a fantastic beer destination not a corridor with screaming children.

<*))))))><

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 19:47 Thu 7/17/2014

Originally posted by beerdweeb
Is this a joke? Beachwood is one of the best beer bars and breweries in the country... They took five medals and mid-sized brewpub last year at GABF. And the food is some of the best in the LA area. Not sure what you were expecting...

There were two Beachwood beers on tap, a Stout which I did not think was a good idea on a sunny early afternoon and a ’Table Saaz’ that was boring, uninteresting and quite frankly bland. They did not win any awards with that beer I am sure of.

I stand by my review,.

<*))))))><

beerdweeb
19:53 Thu 7/17/2014

Hehe, can’t please em all ;)

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 19:59 Thu 7/17/2014

I go frequently; it’s the closest (good) beer place to my current residence.

Main reason I rated it so highly: In terms of beer selection, it’s one of the best in the area. Gabe not only gets highly rated and long time favorites, but also takes some chances and puts on some obscure and interesting beers and styles, as well as getting things that most other bars in the area don’t ever get or perhaps don’t order. The food is also excellent and is more than just the typical burgers or pizza or whatever you get at so many beer places.

From reading your review, it seems like you just had some bad luck. I honestly don’t think I have ever even seen more than one or two kids in there at a time, even that is fairly rare. And certainly not any that were running amok. I’d imagine you had the misfortune of being there when some inconsiderate parents stumbled in from the beach.

I know it’s a small place and can be cramped, particularly during busy times like dinner on a weekend. Maybe because I go often and (now) live nearby that I find the size endearing. Perhaps it’s more with the locals/regulars, but I always find the staff to be very friendly and personable as well.

And I do agree with you on the ABV comment; I wish they would put it on the chalkboard. Typically for strong/rare/special/expensive beers they will put that it’s in a 10 oz pour or something. At least for the most part, the bartender can tell you what the ABV is (or quickly get you that info), but it would be nice if it was just there to begin with.

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 20:02 Thu 7/17/2014

Originally posted by beerdweeb
Hehe, can’t please em all ;)

Hey, I though you and my two earnest while Californian friends might gang up on me, let’s see what they have to say.

<*))))))><

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 20:08 Thu 7/17/2014

<*))))))><, this was written before I discovered the beer mecca of Hebden Bridge. But seriously, a couple of thoughts:

-My rating was copied over from beeradvocate from way back when. I think that was written before they even had house beers. They’re a bar, not a brewery. If you want to try all their house beers go to the Long Beach location.

-I stand by my praise, though maybe I could drop the score a few points. The beer selection is always great, but it sounds like you’re judging solely on the number of taps. So yes, it’s got less taps than Yard House but a high percentage of what they do have is either good or otherwise interesting.

-I’ve never experienced the multitude of kids, so I can’t comment on that. What I can comment on is that I’m only in Seal Beach maybe once a year these days and when I do stop in they recognize me and often times give me a free drink or appetizer. I should probably actually raise the score for service.

Not sure what else to say. If you went during a festival I could see you rating it low but otherwise, just like any small place that gets crowded, don’t go at peak hours and you’ll have a good time.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 20:57 Thu 7/17/2014

Sounds like you were there on a bad day.

Seal Beach is very cramped and does have fewer house taps than Long Beach location, which is why I only go to Seal Beach when they host an event (I would also call into question why Seal Beach would ever host an event though, since the venue is extremely small).

But their tap list is posted online with a web cam and is live, so you can’t really complain if the tap list is dumpy. They focus more on guest taps than house beers at times.

But the BBQ is good for California, other menu items can be very tasty, the prices are not bad, staff is well trained, and you can do samplers of whatever.

I’ve never seen kids there in my life, which is the opposite I would say for Pizza Port which has fucking 15 kid birthday parties at every location on a daily basis.

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 22:44 Thu 7/17/2014

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I have been drinking and leave for Las Vegas early tomorrow, I promise to give a proper response when I return to the UK next week. I enjoyed my third visit to California and, look forward to many more trips during the next few years.

<*))))))><

Naven
beers 1000 º places 109 º 23:20 Thu 7/17/2014

I haven’t been to the place in question, but just a quick note to the kid issue. I believe its a lot less common in the UK to see children in establishments that serve alcohol. At least that was my impression on my last visit. Here, it is usually acceptable to have children in establishments that serve food. Some places, even encourage it! (like Pizza Port, where you also took some offense to the number of children). This is even more common in less fancy joints (read: pizza and barbeque joints). I’m a parent, so I tend to appreciate these places, but I understand that it’s not for everyone. I do think it can be a bit of a shock to Europeans though. Cheers.