RateBeer

FDA Goes After Coffee Beers

read 8581 times • 44 replies •

Thread Frozen

Guerde
beers 1221 º places 8 º 22:41 Wed 12/2/2009

Who will be the first to make an F.D.A.? (Fully Decaffeinated Ale, copyright Guerde, copyright waived if bottle is sent to said copywriter)

daknole
premium
beers 10320 º places 447 º 23:11 Wed 12/2/2009

Fuck the FDA, how much caffeine is really in these beers? This is fucking bullshit. This is what the Govt has time to do? Jesus.

Rciesla
premium
beers 5499 º places 3 º 23:58 Wed 12/2/2009

Originally posted by daknole
Fuck the FDA, how much caffeine is really in these beers? This is fucking bullshit. This is what the Govt has time to do? Jesus.

Wow this would ruin my beer drinking pleasure on a level that i would not want to imagine! For lack of a better word, FUCK!

tilldeath
beers 109 º 00:22 Thu 12/3/2009

The FDA can get all shity about this, and it’s an adult beverage, yet we still have issues with ecoli and other crap in food. Just my 2 cents but ecoli= worse than coffee in beer.

Oakes
premium
admin
beers 13594 º places 727 º 01:52 Thu 12/3/2009

Originally posted by 17thfloor
what the F? did these letters also go out to the makers of Kahlua? they have the pockets to provide some scientific evidence

What about bars that sell coffee with booze in it? Like 90% of bars and licensed restaurants in the US.

The FDA is stepping way over the line here - they’re not messing with craft brewers and alcopops manufacturers. They’re messing with the entire alcoholic beverage industry and the entire hospitality industry. There’s going to be some deep pockets taking on the FDA in short order.

GodOfThunder
premium
beers 1248 º places 37 º 05:02 Thu 12/3/2009

This wouldn’t be happening if you would have voted for Ron Paul.

SuIIy
beers 1983 º places 53 º 06:12 Thu 12/3/2009

I think the FDA should look more towards bars serving vodka-red bulls then they should be worrying about coffee beers. stupid FDA. Whoever drank ten breakfast stouts and felt the energy to drive anywhere? Id like to meet that person, congratulate them on still being conscious, and take away their keys!

wickedpete
beers 634 º places 5 º 06:14 Thu 12/3/2009

More here. Looks like the FDA is kind of picking and choosing who to target. It also sounds like what they are targeting is products where caffeine is an additive, not necessarily a byproduct of an ingredient such as coffee.

zdk
beers 1833 º places 95 º 06:32 Thu 12/3/2009

"there are no food additive regulations that permit the addition of caffeine at any level in alcoholic beverages."

Which basically means, if something is not expressly permitted, then it ought to be banned?

And what’s this about making companies ’prove its safe’? What happened to assumed innocence? Shouldn’t the FDA have to prove its dangerous? The burden of proof shouldn’t be on the craft beer companies.

I’d be more than willing to write an angry letter/petition, if this thing doesn’t go away by itself.

Oakes
premium
admin
beers 13594 º places 727 º 09:25 Thu 12/3/2009

Originally posted by zdk

And what’s this about making companies ’prove its safe’? What happened to assumed innocence? Shouldn’t the FDA have to prove its dangerous? The burden of proof shouldn’t be on the craft beer companies.

One of the many reasons why this is ridiculous.

http://oakes.hoppress.com/2009/12/03/the-fda-steps-in-it/