RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Fermenting Vessel Question!

read 663 times • 8 replies • posted 11/8/2012 12:26:48 PM

Thread Frozen

mattp215215 1:
Alright just getting started brewing...want to experiment with a bunch of small batches, so my question is can I use glass bottles such as wine bottles to ferment if I simply fit an airlock snuggly through a cork? If this doesnt work, does anyone have suggestions for other small/inexpensive containers that would work? really dont know what the hell Iím doing but I figured getting as many little batches going would be the quickest way to learn.

Thanks!
Private message Send the author a private message

bgburdman9 857:24
A wine bottle would be pretty small to ferment in unless you only want to get 2 bottles out of each small batch. You probably wouldnt even get 2 bottles out of it due to trub and transfer. Even transferring that small of an amount would be difficult. I have a couple 1 gallon glass jugs that previously help whole foods cider that work pretty well for a small batch. I dont think I would use anything smaller than that. I normally dont even ferment in these but use them for trying different dry hops and fruit additions in secondary.
11/8/2012 12:36:28 PM

Private message send the author a private message

JMerritt 1800:72
Originally posted by mattp215215
really dont know what the hell Iím doing but I figured getting as many little batches going would be the quickest way to learn.

I think many little batches may introduce more variables than you want to deal with starting out. I may recommend doing a standard 5-6 gallon batch first to get your techniques (brewing and sanitizing) down first.
11/8/2012 1:05:12 PM

mattp215215 1:
thanks for the input...so basically it would be a better idea to get some gallon containers and make a 5 gallon batch then mess with dry hopping and whatnot?
11/8/2012 1:19:05 PM

mattp215215 1:
Also, in general would a snug fitting cork with an airlock work fine?
11/8/2012 1:26:57 PM

Quasimodo 217:
It might allow the cork to pop out before the wine bottle explodes. Play it safe and avoid fermenting in a wine bottle.
11/8/2012 1:41:42 PM

JMerritt 1800:72
I highly recommend you read this before you begin, it will answer most of your questions and give you good idea of what to expect.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Also, where do you live? Is there a homebrewing club or store nearby?
11/8/2012 1:48:43 PM

mattp215215 1:
ok exploding is no good...I actually have read a lot of how to brew, I live in the middle of just about no where for the moment, but I did order a brew kit off northern brewer
11/9/2012 12:05:05 PM

kevincanto
Thank you very much everyone on your pleasant pointers youíve shared. This is actually helpful to me.

1/29/2013 7:45:31 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add