Fermenting with Brett and Lager yeast.

Reads 2381 • Replies 26 • Started Saturday, November 14, 2015 3:42:42 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
09:33 Tue 11/17/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
Brett has (in general) a high level of esterase activity, meaning that in the presence of an acid and an alcohol, ester formation is favored. And while you won’t get acid levels to the same level as, say, lactate when LAB are going hard, there are a variety of carboxylic acids that will be present in fermenting beer. Combine this with with compounds like ATHP, etc, and I have a hard time believing that a "POF-" Sacch. fermented beer finished with Brett. won’t have any Brett. character.

Do any of you other guys know what Caleb is talking about here?

He’s referring to TetraHydroPyridines.

I’d love to go further into this if any of you are interested and I can post some informative links as well. However, if nobody is interested and it’s going to be just he and I discussing it, I don’t think it’s worth it.

What do you guys think?

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 09:39 Tue 11/17/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Brett has (in general) a high level of esterase activity, meaning that in the presence of an acid and an alcohol, ester formation is favored. And while you won’t get acid levels to the same level as, say, lactate when LAB are going hard, there are a variety of carboxylic acids that will be present in fermenting beer. Combine this with with compounds like ATHP, etc, and I have a hard time believing that a "POF-" Sacch. fermented beer finished with Brett. won’t have any Brett. character.

I’d love to go further into this if any of you are interested and I can post some informative links as well. However, if nobody is interested and it’s going to be just he and I discussing it, I don’t think it’s worth it.

What do you guys think?

I have popcorn. I’m good to keep watching.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:16 Tue 11/17/2015

What do you guys think?

Fire up a new thread!

I won’t have much time today during the day to post, but later tonight I can get some screen grabs from some cool papers.

HornyDevil
12:57 Tue 11/17/2015

Fire up a new thread!

I’m going to create a thread about the basic chemistry of Brett fermentations and what it can do additionally to saccharomyces. Hope you guys will enjoy it.

I won’t have much time today during the day to post, but later tonight I can get some screen grabs from some cool papers.

Neat.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 19:04 Tue 11/17/2015

Fire up a new thread!

I’m going to create a thread about the basic chemistry of Brett fermentations and what it can do additionally to saccharomyces. Hope you guys will enjoy it.

Neat.

I will most certainly be lurking

fleetwoodfba
20:00 Wed 11/18/2015

Thank you for the discussion, I appreciate all the input.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer