RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Firkin-How to

read 5310 times • 11 replies • posted 1/13/2010 3:06:35 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

johntreeter 126:7
I have a 5.4 gal. plastic (I know) firkin. I want to put an IPA in it that has been sitting at 40 degrees for a week I was going to force carb. A few questions. How much priming sugar? Do I need to pitch more yeast and if so how much? What temp do I store at and how long?
Thanks,
John
Private message Send the author a private message

DavidP 1747:58
While I donít have any direct experience with firkins I do know that the beer inside is naturally carbonated, and I think youíre supposed to add about 1/3 less sugar than normal. Google that to be precise though. Iíd store the keg at room temp for a few weeks to let the yeast eat through the sugar and then chill down to your preferred serving temp.
1/13/2010 7:35:27 PM

Private message send the author a private message

erway 1004:41
So your going to force carb and prime. One of us is confused.

The 5.4s are called pins.

To be specific though, first, get the wooden keystones and shives, the plastic oneís donít work with the plastic firkins... I learned this the hard way. Soak them for about 5 min. before you get the keystone in place. I like to run CO2 into the firkin before I start racking to avoid an oxidized butter bomb. Add ~3.5 oz. sugar in boiled water to the firkin and start filling. While you are filling, add 20 mls. of biofine clear (or any fining really, but I like biofine clear), amounts depend on a lot of variables, but this amount worked for me). When the firkin is full, hammer the shive in and let the firkin sit at ~60 for at least 3 days.

Some words of advice here... If you have had the IPA at 40 for too long (longer than 5 days?) then I would add some yeast to attenuate the primings. When breaching the keystone with a faucet, hit harder than you think you need to with a formidable mallet, be wearing clothes you donít mind getting covered in, and make sure no one is there to see you or theyíll laugh at you. Trust me on this. Have the faucet open when breaching with a bucket under it. Close the faucet once there is some negative pressure and then hammer in the soft spile. You can serve it an hour later.

I know this isnít the way they do it in ye olde England but thatís because they do it wrong.

Oh, and thereís nothing wrong with the plastic firkins, as long as you know how to get them to seal.
Cheers and good luck.
1/14/2010 8:59:41 AM

nqualls 1452:35
Originally posted by erway

To be specific though, first, get the wooden keystones and shives, the plastic oneís donít work with the plastic firkins... I learned this the hard way. Soak them for about 5 min. before you get the keystone in place. I like to run CO2 into the firkin before I start racking to avoid an oxidized butter bomb. Add ~3.5 oz. sugar in boiled water to the firkin and start filling. While you are filling, add 20 mls. of biofine clear (or any fining really, but I like biofine clear), amounts depend on a lot of variables, but this amount worked for me). When the firkin is full, hammer the shive in and let the firkin sit at ~60 for at least 3 days.

Some words of advice here... If you have had the IPA at 40 for too long (longer than 5 days?) then I would add some yeast to attenuate the primings. When breaching the keystone with a faucet, hit harder than you think you need to with a formidable mallet, be wearing clothes you donít mind getting covered in, and make sure no one is there to see you or theyíll laugh at you. Trust me on this. Have the faucet open when breaching with a bucket under it. Close the faucet once there is some negative pressure and then hammer in the soft spile. You can serve it an hour later.

I know this isnít the way they do it in ye olde England but thatís because they do it wrong.

Oh, and thereís nothing wrong with the plastic firkins, as long as you know how to get them to seal.
Cheers and good luck.

Not to highjack...but where could I buy this set up?
1/14/2010 9:19:47 AM

cquiroga 371:11
Originally posted by erway

Cheers and good luck.

BOOOM. Endthread.

Makes me want to go out and do this myself, and I donít even homebrew (yet).
1/14/2010 10:19:29 AM

premium
redlight 2316:50
i always spile first let the cask slowly vent then change to a soft spile, once the fobbing stops, if there is any, then i drive in the faucet (closed not open) a lot less messy.

hereís a link that walks you through it

http://www.cask-ale.co.uk/us/realale3.html
1/14/2010 12:37:17 PM

thickfreakness 132:
Where does one go about buying a plastic firkin?
1/14/2010 12:40:08 PM

premium
1/14/2010 12:42:26 PM

premium
Originally posted by redlight
http://www.plastickegsamerica.com/

and you get all the supplies for tapping here

http://www.ukbrewing.com/
1/14/2010 12:44:31 PM

thickfreakness 132:
Thanks for the info. I just asked for a quote for one pin.
1/14/2010 12:47:38 PM

erway 1004:41
http://www.plastickegsamerica.com/

and you get all the supplies for tapping here

http://www.ukbrewing.com/

I have found that banner is a bit cheaper for faucets.
1/14/2010 1:58:44 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add