RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

first brew attempt. the results

read 1352 times • 16 replies • posted 12/16/2012 6:20:59 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

giorgos 4
hey, i finished, bottled and tried my beer. the brefwerm - amboirix , smells quite good. and tastes fine. the only problem is that there is no much gas as it should be. i think what went wrong is the amount of sugar i put in the second time. what do you think?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
dEnk 3795:32
How long after bottling did you taste it?
12/16/2012 6:54:11 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
SpringsLicker 3132:131
If you measured your priming sugar correctly, I would would suggest moving it to a warmer location (75 degrees or so) and give it another week or two there first.
12/16/2012 7:37:45 AM

premium
StefanSD 2131:45
How big was the batch and how much priming sugar did you use?
12/16/2012 7:56:03 AM

giorgos 4
i tasted it 2 weeks (or slightly more) after the bottling. the overall proccess from the cook day untill i tried it it was 8-9 weeks. the first time i put 1 kg of sugar the second 100somthing grams
12/16/2012 11:37:19 AM

lithy 2996:156
100g seems slightly low, but you should still have about 2.2 volumes of CO2 assuming a 5 gallon batch. Like SpringsLicker said, warm it up a bit, give it another week or two.

In the meantime you can detail your process, what type of sugar did you use? Did you boil it in some water and then rack the beer over it in the bottling bucket? I’m assuming by ’first time’ you mean that the 1kg of sugar just went into the boil, if so that will have little effect on the final CO2 levels so for this part we’re only concerned with the priming sugar at bottling time.

At 8-9 weeks it is possible, depending on alcohol content as well that the yeast was pretty well settled out or slightly dorment and not viable enough to eat the priming sugar quickly. Warm it up for a couple more weeks and I suspect it will improve.
12/16/2012 11:45:24 AM

premium
RABinCO 1285:80
What were you brewing?
12/16/2012 12:49:22 PM

giorgos 4
to be honest, after the 8 weeks, i started drinking the beer. the 2nd and 3rd one were better than the first. i still have a banch of bottles to consume so i will see in the future how they will be. yes the first one kilo of sugar went straight into the boil, the rest 100g went into my presure barrel when i removed the beer from the fermentation vessel to the barrel. the instructions said something about 100 something grams so i did it. i was afraid of putting more ... i heard you might ’’explode’’ the barell by putting more.. is it wrong to open the bottles and add more sugar onto them individually and then close them?
12/23/2012 4:08:19 AM

premium
BenH 2321:6
Originally posted by giorgos
to be honest, after the 8 weeks, i started drinking the beer. the 2nd and 3rd one were better than the first. i still have a banch of bottles to consume so i will see in the future how they will be. yes the first one kilo of sugar went straight into the boil, the rest 100g went into my presure barrel when i removed the beer from the fermentation vessel to the barrel. the instructions said something about 100 something grams so i did it. i was afraid of putting more ... i heard you might ’’explode’’ the barell by putting more.. is it wrong to open the bottles and add more sugar onto them individually and then close them?

Be careful if you do this. When you add the sugar to the bottles, the beer will erupt.
12/23/2012 4:26:59 AM

giorgos 4
i did not add sugar to the bottles. only to the pressure barrel
12/25/2012 6:59:07 AM

premium
SpringsLicker 3132:131
Originally posted by giorgos
i did not add sugar to the bottles. only to the pressure barrel

Pressure Barrel? What kind of system are you brewing with may I ask?
12/25/2012 7:55:29 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add