First Cask Beer

Reads 4144 • Replies 63 • Started Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:58:51 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 08:58 Thu 7/2/2015

My first cask beer experience was Butcombe Bitter at the Quicksilver Mail in Yeovil @age 17 when I used to go Wednesday (and occasionally saturday) evening gigs there. Its still a favourite standard bitter today and look forward to seeing how Stuart Howe nurtures the brand

What was everyone else’s first cask beer?

Batemans XB I think (1971).

<*))))))><

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40489 º places 1239 º 09:28 Thu 7/2/2015

I can’t remember what it was tbh but it was in the Tap & Spile, York, December 1990.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 09:39 Thu 7/2/2015

Probably Youngs Special @ the Duke Of Cumberland in Fulham(home town) . Around 1998 ,so i’d have been 17

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 09:54 Thu 7/2/2015

Courage Best. Circa 1971. Not a lot else around in my neck of the woods back. A couple of places had Ushers Best or Wadworth 6x. There was also the decidedly odd Miners Arms brewpub in Priddy - actually a brewrestaurant as it wasn’t licensed to serve beer unless you were eating. That was about it until Smiles, Butcombe and the long-forgotten (by most people) Mendip arrived in 1978. My cricket club was one of the first places to serve Butcombe regularly.

Leighton
beers 33712 º places 1204 º 09:56 Thu 7/2/2015

Something in the US in 2009, most likely. It would have been from a brewery that doesn’t normally produce cask but decided to put some beer in the cask for a special event or festival.

GlasgowTAD
beers 2015 º places 38 º 09:58 Thu 7/2/2015

My palette evolved on one fateful day in a Wetherspoons in Peterhead where I opted to have a Deuchars IPA over a staple which had dominated much of my drinking career - Tennents. I have not revisited the beer since.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 10:07 Thu 7/2/2015

Mauldons Black Adder was my first Cask beer. It was in The Counting House in the Glasgow. I was 15 at the time and thought it was horrible. Though it had booze in it so I drank it and got shitted, went back to my gf at the times house and was sick.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 10:07 Thu 7/2/2015

Probably the Morland regular range (OSH, and 2 others), at the brewery itself, in 1988/9. Pre-GK, that’s all that matters. Delicious.

That was what turned me on to proper beer. I still drank the cheap crap (newky brown and nasty keg shit) at the college bar in town, but went to every brewery trip organised by every university society I was a member of from that point on.

Garrold
beers 10672 º places 149 º 10:10 Thu 7/2/2015

A drink of my dad’s Wards Sheffield Best Bitter. 1984. I was 15. Nearly put me off beer for good...

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:45 Thu 7/2/2015

Originally posted by FatPhil
went to every brewery trip organised by every university society I was a member of from that point on.

The most popular society "brewery" trip when I was at Liverpool University was to the Guinness racking plant in Runcorn. They were still bringing the stuff over in tanker boats for packaging in England in those days. The popularity sprang from the fact that you got about three hours in the on-site bar (or longer if you knew where it was and sneaked away from the tour early) which was just like a normal bar except it had no till. You could drink as much as you wanted, you got a three course waitress-served meal, you could cart away as many free bottles as you could carry and all the tables had "tubs" of 50 cigs that you could load up on too. All the societies ran a trip there so you could do it pretty much every week. All the Societies except Real Ale Soc of course.