RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Flash Pasteurization

read 1484 times • 6 replies • posted 6/19/2012 8:12:49 AM

Thread Frozen

erway 1004:41
Hello all,
I just got a sort of email advertisement from a supplier about their flash pasteurizers and it got me thinking... I know 95%+ of the beer coming over from Europe (exception is Belgium) is flash pasteurized. Most of them have been doing it for a long time and they seem (most of them anyways) to be rather good at it. I know that New Belgium flash pasteurizes much of their beer as does New Glarus. I saw a flash pasteurizer at the Hofbrau house in Newport. I would be surprised if breweries like Widmer and Bridgeport didnít, but I donít know for sure... What other breweries do? I donít know of any smaller oneís that do, but I guess thatís why I am asking.
Private message Send the author a private message

HighGravity 926:7
Anchor
6/19/2012 7:00:18 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
I think Deschutes does, at least for their barrel stuff.
6/20/2012 10:28:27 PM

jesskidden 1
Both NABís Genesee brewery and The Lion (two popular craft contractor breweries) mention that they have the ability to flash pasteurize on the "contract brewing" pages, so itís possible some of the craft kegs coming out of those facilities are flash pasteurized.

http://www.nabreweries.com/contract-brewing

http://lionbrewery.com/home/contract-brewing/capabilities/
6/27/2012 5:21:39 AM

robrules 1
The buzzardís bay brewery have one and it screwed up their beers imo - would make the bottles seem all grassy and vegetal right out of the gate (while their kegged beers were good). Donít know if Just Beer is still using it, Blatant and Pretty Things for sure is not.

Are you having shelf life issues?

7/3/2012 7:36:21 AM

romabrew99 2:1
I have been using a flash Pasteurizer for years and I havent noticed any immediate changes in the beers flavor, I run the thing between 28 and 40 Pu. I will say the beer if mishandled downstream can get that íagedí taste very quick. yes the beers dont age well like an unpasteurized one but I am usually using it on lower alc beers... anything over 6 and I am not using it...Itís just a measure of QA which many brewers especially European choose to use to ensure the beer is not fermenting / wild yeasts / bacterias are not carried over to the packaged beers... there is always a risk from the point of pasteurization down stream... so itís not really just a crutch...
7/3/2012 8:40:35 AM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by robrules
The buzzardís bay brewery have one and it screwed up their beers imo - would make the bottles seem all grassy and vegetal right out of the gate (while their kegged beers were good). Donít know if Just Beer is still using it, Blatant and Pretty Things for sure is not.

Are you having shelf life issues?

Shelf life? No. Not yet anyways. Weíve only been packaging for 2 weeks. Our IPA is unfiltered, the packaged airs were at .3 and the force tests we have done have come out fine, but I am just trying to gauge the movement of the industry. Sierra still does not as far as I know... It will be interesting to see who moves this route in the future. It seems as though it can be done successfully as well as unsuccessfully. I have 0 experience with it though... I have no idea what issues a brewer has to deal with when doing this to their beer.
7/3/2012 5:27:34 PM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search