RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > Chicago | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Fobab Tickets

read 16288 times • 263 replies • posted 8/6/2012 3:52:07 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27

sarro 122:5
Glad youíll survive now!!
9/8/2012 12:19:24 PM

Private message send the author a private message

RAYBOY01 2012:1
Originally posted by sarro
Glad youíll survive now!!

Luckily for you, I donít get sarcasm or irony.
9/8/2012 1:35:08 PM

premium
Headbanger 3303:83
GABF never in the past sold out in 40 minutes. When you have scalpers snagging a majority of tix to whatever event it is no longer a level playing field. I agree you win some and lose some but most people are used to this for concerts not beer events.

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by Headbanger
Between this and GABF it makes you want to stay home and drink.

Originally posted by RAYBOY01
First time in ten years Iím shut out of FoBAB...Iím kind of pissed off about the hoops we have to jump through for event tickets. now. Even last year I bought tickets to the afternoon session weeks after they went on sale. I was supposed to get one for Dale too...heís in the Czech Republic touring the Pilsner Urquelle Brewery right now!

FWIW, this isnít anything particularly new overall. Itís been happening with concerts forever. Sure, it sucks, but at the end of the day itís just another beer event. Full disclosure, though, I didnít have to buy a ticket (worker). I have, however, gotten tickets to plenty of other events, and missed out on several as well.
9/8/2012 2:54:47 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
FWIW, Iím hardly a part of the problem. I donít talk up events, hoard beer, or any of that. Iíve been fortunate to find the best ways to take care of myself and the occasional friend or two/fiancť, both in beer and in life. Being bitter isnít going to make things better.

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by Headbanger
Between this and GABF it makes you want to stay home and drink.

First time in ten years Iím shut out of FoBAB...Iím kind of pissed off about the hoops we have to jump through for event tickets. now. Even last year I bought tickets to the afternoon session weeks after they went on sale. I was supposed to get one for Dale too...heís in the Czech Republic touring the Pilsner Urquelle Brewery right now!

FWIW, this isnít anything particularly new overall. Itís been happening with concerts forever. Sure, it sucks, but at the end of the day itís just another beer event. Full disclosure, though, I didnít have to buy a ticket (worker). I have, however, gotten tickets to plenty of other events, and missed out on several as well.

I buy tix for all kinds of events all year round...and NEVER have I seen something so completely, thoroughly, and hopelessly screwed up as this event. First the weird and nonsensical anouncement of the 5:00AM sale time...followed by a late change to 11:59AM...(synchronize your watches gentlemen) Why does ICBG feel the need to "improve" an event (with a nine year history of being nearly perfectly run) until it doesnít work anymore? Then the website announces that all tickets for the 1:00PM session are sold out ten minutes into the sale. Of course, tickets were NOT sold out, but not knowing that, I gave up in disgust...until a fellow Ratebeerian kindly pointed out in forum post an hour later that tickets were still available (sort of!). But "available" only after sitting for an hour pressing "Refresh" like a lab rat trying to get a
pellet in a high school biology experiment. I find that, while I can now buy a ticket for the 1:00PM session, I can only buy 1 at a time, as opposed to 8 at a time for the 6:00PM session. So back I go to the rat maze and spend another three hours of my rare Saturday afternoon off trying to get all three tickets I need. (Which I finally did, against all odds!) Later, after printing the tickets out, I eventually notice that the first two tickets donít have a date or session time printed on them. I notice an email announcement of this latest fuck-up next morning, but too late to reprint them as suggested. Hopefully the bar code will confirm my ticketís validity...and Iíll just give the dubious tickets to Dale anyway! I emailed my displeasure to BPT and the ICBG...and I would love to state that both responded quickly, and politely offered me their heartfelt apologies for the absurd number of screw-ups in the same seemingly simple transaction...but, of course, neither organization ever responded to me at all!

My generation may have handed yours off a bankrupt country, with defecits so astronomical that it will take YOUR grandkids to pay it off, an ever-widening rift between the haves and have-nots, and a disfunctional government, whose foreign policy has made us reviled world-wide...but your generation has cursed us with internet ticket sales so irredeamably fucked-up that I, not quite, but almost missed my favorite beer event. Congratulations!
9/8/2012 4:15:42 PM

Being bitter isnít going to make things better.

You couldnít be more wrong... customers expressing their bitterness is how organizations, businesses, etc., realize that they need to change, improve, rethink how they do things. Simply accepting the current problems as "just how things are now" is a sure-fire prescription for even worse conditions/attitudes in the future. But you havenít even tried to explain why this event, which ran nearly flawlessly for NINE STRAIGHT YEARS is suddenly in such great need of "improvement"...improvements that result in making it extremely difficult (or in many cases impossible) for past attendees to get their tickets this year. Thatís just stupid.

9/8/2012 4:44:43 PM

premium
TheAlum 5701:10
While I donít condone Geneís stance in all this, itís a bit naive to just dismiss ICBG as innocent in the handling of ticket sales.. they wanted to grow this it seems, they didnít do it well, Brian
9/8/2012 5:04:01 PM

Originally posted by TheAlum
While I donít condone Geneís stance in all this, itís a bit naive to just dismiss ICBG as innocent in the handling of ticket sales.. they wanted to grow this it seems, they didnít do it well, Brian

Whatís not to condone, Adam?

1)ICBG misfired badly by announcing two different ticket sale times.
2)ICBG advertised heavily for an event that already sells out quickly every year.
3)BPT accidentally announces, 10 minutes into ticket sales, that 1:00PM session is sold out, while hundreds of tickets were still available. How many buyers gave up?
4)BPT continues to sell 1:00 session tickets for at least 4 hours after the "sold out" notice was posted...but only after forcing customers to sit in front of their keyboards and press "Refresh" for an hour like trained monkeys.
5)Multiple Ratebeerians report that when they finally were able to purchase the 1:00PM session ticket, BPT printed out 6:00PM tickets instead.
6)BPT system allowed buyers to purchase up to 8 6:00PM tickets per transaction but only 1 1:00PM ticket at a time! (Back to "refresh" for an hour if you need another 1:00PM ticket.)
7)When you finally get through the rat maze to get your ticket and print it out...no date or session time prints out on your ticket. (Tickets printed after the first two hours of sales then started coming with event dates and session times printed out.)
8)How many groups are going to arrive together on event day only to find out that their members donít all have tickets for the same session?
9)Neither ICBG nor BPT responded to email or phone inquiries. (Several Ratebeerians have stated that BPT reps repeatedly hung-up on them after they managed to get through with questions)

Could it have been any more mishandled?
9/9/2012 6:02:37 AM

premium

I can agree with a lot of this but I still believe BPT is the primary culprit here. iCBG didnít advertise this event at all, the local media did what theyíve been doing for the last year with beer events. There are few people that watch this scene really closely and put it out there as early as they can, chicagoist and the reader being the two that I can think of, though I do remember the red eye putting out a ígo toí on a sold out stout fest this year. The issue with FoBAB this year was that they had to change venues. In so doing, they realized they had more space and decided they could sell more tickets. It was never going to be the same after the plumbers hall screwed them over but I agree that they didnít think all of the logistics through or have much of a contingency plan in place. With that Being said, Iíll wait until the actual event to see how it all plays out and giving my grade.
9/9/2012 7:27:18 AM

premium
TheAlum 5701:10
Entry details confirmed: http://www.illinoisbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/FoBAB-Entry-Info.pdf

Beer amounts required to enter are uppíd.

Although that may seem like a good thing, I think largely, weíll see less fun/experiment/small batch stuff because of such a requirement.

I canít see Lost Abbey sending that much Veritas 010 last year if they had to double what they had to send..
9/10/2012 8:18:19 AM

premium
Entry details confirmed: http://www.illinoisbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/FoBAB-Entry-Info.pdf

Beer amounts required to enter are uppíd.

Although that may seem like a good thing, I think largely, weíll see less fun/experiment/small batch stuff because of such a requirement.

I canít see Lost Abbey sending that much Veritas 010 last year if they had to double what they had to send..

They poured Veritas at GABF as well.
9/10/2012 11:08:33 AM

Home > Forums > Chicago

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer