RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Forgot to take hydrometer reading

read 1317 times • 16 replies • posted 10/28/2012 6:29:02 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
JStax 2854:134
Brewed an IPA last night and forgot to take a hydrometer reading at the end. I took one this morning, about 11 hours later and the reading is a little lower than what Hopville predicted it would have been. Does anybody have any sort of idea the amount of fermentation that would have occurred in this short a time. The projected reading was 1.074. My actual reading now is 1.061.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
fiulijn 14340:517
Iím not an experienced homebrewer, but if the fermentation started, the wort is now partially carbonated, and that factor as well changes the SG; so I would not even be sure that 1.061 is correct...
10/28/2012 6:45:37 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
joeneugs 3119:147

Haha, yeah Iíd dump the batch and start over.

Seriously though, donít worry about it. My gut says that it would be hard for a beer to drop 13 gravity points in just 11 hours, but itís definitely possible. Especially if you pitched a large healthy starter. Also warmer temps would kick start fermentation quicker. A lot of factors can influence the pace of fermentation so thereís really no way of knowing for sure. The bottom line is, not knowing the OG of the beer will not effect the quality of the brew.

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Youíre fucked.
10/28/2012 7:36:06 AM

premium
jsled 28:
Call it 1.065 and donít worry about it too much :) You were probably lower than the estimate to begin with.

At this point, the yeast are mostly reproducing, not really actively fermenting. To fiulijnís point, theyíll consume some sugar to do this, but theyíre not releasing a lot of CO2 just yet. Carbonation doesít change the gravity so much as nucleation sites on the hydrometer itself might cause bubbles which will artificially float the hydrometer. In any case, you should learn/expect to degas samples you take post-pitch.
10/28/2012 7:42:43 AM

premium
JStax 2854:134
Originally posted by joeneugs

Haha, yeah Iíd dump the batch and start over.

Seriously though, donít worry about it. My gut says that it would be hard for a beer to drop 13 gravity points in just 11 hours, but itís definitely possible. Especially if you pitched a large healthy starter. Also warmer temps would kick start fermentation quicker. A lot of factors can influence the pace of fermentation so thereís really no way of knowing for sure. The bottom line is, not knowing the OG of the beer will not effect the quality of the brew.

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Youíre fucked.

Thanks for the info, everyone.
10/28/2012 7:43:36 AM

premium
keanex 1393:52
You could do reverse readings by taking the yeast attenuation % and doing some quick math. I believe you could just multiply the FG by the attenuation % and it will give you a rough OG.
10/28/2012 8:29:02 AM

Christian 11027:235
Say that it is whatever you expected it to be and donít worry. Nobody will try to prove you wrong
10/28/2012 2:13:38 PM

premium
fiulijn 14340:517
Originally posted by Christian
Say that it is whatever you expected it to be and donít worry. Nobody will try to prove you wrong

Unless you live in Ontario: I just learned that every imported beer has to be analyzed in a lab and ABV recalculated
10/28/2012 2:29:15 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8314:502
Originally posted by fiulijn

Unless you live in Ontario: I just learned that every imported beer has to be analyzed in a lab and ABV recalculated

Yup - welcome to bureaucracy-land.
10/28/2012 3:19:58 PM

premium
BigBeer45 1240:15
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by fiulijn

Yup - welcome to bureaucracy-land.

Is Ontario is checking a bottle of every imported beer to verify and recalculate the ABV?
10/28/2012 3:44:36 PM

Rosebud butternuts 2396:36
you should just give up brewing if you forgot to do a reading. My best beer that I ever made is one that I forgot to do an OG on.
10/28/2012 4:56:09 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add