Forgot to take hydrometer reading

Reads 3378 • Replies 16 • Started Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:29:02 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 06:29 Sun 10/28/2012

Brewed an IPA last night and forgot to take a hydrometer reading at the end. I took one this morning, about 11 hours later and the reading is a little lower than what Hopville predicted it would have been. Does anybody have any sort of idea the amount of fermentation that would have occurred in this short a time. The projected reading was 1.074. My actual reading now is 1.061.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 06:45 Sun 10/28/2012

I’m not an experienced homebrewer, but if the fermentation started, the wort is now partially carbonated, and that factor as well changes the SG; so I would not even be sure that 1.061 is correct...

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 07:36 Sun 10/28/2012

Haha, yeah I’d dump the batch and start over.

Seriously though, don’t worry about it. My gut says that it would be hard for a beer to drop 13 gravity points in just 11 hours, but it’s definitely possible. Especially if you pitched a large healthy starter. Also warmer temps would kick start fermentation quicker. A lot of factors can influence the pace of fermentation so there’s really no way of knowing for sure. The bottom line is, not knowing the OG of the beer will not effect the quality of the brew.

Originally posted by HornyDevil
You’re fucked.

jsled
beers 31 º 07:42 Sun 10/28/2012

Call it 1.065 and don’t worry about it too much :) You were probably lower than the estimate to begin with.

At this point, the yeast are mostly reproducing, not really actively fermenting. To fiulijn’s point, they’ll consume some sugar to do this, but they’re not releasing a lot of CO2 just yet. Carbonation does’t change the gravity so much as nucleation sites on the hydrometer itself might cause bubbles which will artificially float the hydrometer. In any case, you should learn/expect to degas samples you take post-pitch.

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 07:43 Sun 10/28/2012

Originally posted by joeneugs

Haha, yeah I’d dump the batch and start over.

Seriously though, don’t worry about it. My gut says that it would be hard for a beer to drop 13 gravity points in just 11 hours, but it’s definitely possible. Especially if you pitched a large healthy starter. Also warmer temps would kick start fermentation quicker. A lot of factors can influence the pace of fermentation so there’s really no way of knowing for sure. The bottom line is, not knowing the OG of the beer will not effect the quality of the brew.

Originally posted by HornyDevil
You’re fucked.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 08:29 Sun 10/28/2012

You could do reverse readings by taking the yeast attenuation % and doing some quick math. I believe you could just multiply the FG by the attenuation % and it will give you a rough OG.

Christian
beers 17284 º places 278 º 14:13 Sun 10/28/2012

Say that it is whatever you expected it to be and don’t worry. Nobody will try to prove you wrong

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 14:29 Sun 10/28/2012

Originally posted by Christian
Say that it is whatever you expected it to be and don’t worry. Nobody will try to prove you wrong

Unless you live in Ontario: I just learned that every imported beer has to be analyzed in a lab and ABV recalculated

JoeMcPhee
beers 12090 º places 543 º 15:19 Sun 10/28/2012

Originally posted by fiulijn

Unless you live in Ontario: I just learned that every imported beer has to be analyzed in a lab and ABV recalculated

Yup - welcome to bureaucracy-land.

BigBeer45
beers 1681 º places 17 º 15:44 Sun 10/28/2012

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by fiulijn

Yup - welcome to bureaucracy-land.

Is Ontario is checking a bottle of every imported beer to verify and recalculate the ABV?

you should just give up brewing if you forgot to do a reading. My best beer that I ever made is one that I forgot to do an OG on.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer