Forum SubScriptions

Reads 718 • Replies 16 • Started Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:57:22 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 15:57 Wed 4/27/2016

There been big debate here in Edinburgh about how many people read Site News.

so it got me thinking do the Admins know how many people are subscribed to each forum and are they allowed to say.

They all claimed Sitenews was a bad place to put a congrats thread but its always been the spiritual home of these threads as far as im concerned

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 16:02 Wed 4/27/2016

This just a way to bump a thread about you being generous? honest Q fro honest_silu

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 16:09 Wed 4/27/2016

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
This just a way to bump a thread about you being generous? honest Q fro honest_silu

No there was a genuine debate here about SiteNews with about 2/3 of people here saying they dont follow site news.

But ive always seen and always posted
Congrats to X for Y in Site News.

So im genuinly curious if others think right place
and numbers subscribed to each forum.

But heh man, im a nice guy ask anyone but my wife

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 16:43 Wed 4/27/2016

The site as a whole has changed since I joined, and I’m sure it’s more noticeable for members who’ve been around longer than myself. When I joined, RateBeer was primarily a community where you could rate beers, chat, trade, and meet fellow members. And while I think that it still exists, I don’t think it’s the site’s primary function anymore. It has become more of a resource in my opinion, that stores use to showcase their beers and people use to guide their purchases. The site has become more commercialized and the community aspect has become de-emphasized, at least relative to what it once was. I don’t know if it’s better or worse for site branding purposes, but it’s certainly a bummer from a community perspective. To be fair, I don’t think it’s all the site’s fault; other beer sites have popped up, beer groups on facebook have become plentiful, and there’s been a shift in priorities among beer geeks from using beer as a tool to meet other beer geeks to using beer geeks to grow their own cellars via trading. I think the inactivity in the Site News forum is, at least in part, an artifact of that.

That’s not to say that the community aspect has completely dissolved; it hasn’t, and every Gathering shows that. But the forums outside of Beer Trade don’t gather the attention of casual beer geeks anymore; they’re mostly seasoned vets deeply invested in the community already.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 16:53 Wed 4/27/2016

So where do you think a congrats thread might go if not in the Site News? Start a new forum for member/rater/ticker news?

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 20:33 Wed 4/27/2016

Originally posted by StefanSD
So where do you think a congrats thread might go if not in the Site News? Start a new forum for member/rater/ticker news?

I’m definitely ready for "Congrats to ____ on rating 362 Amber ales from California" threads to not appear on the front page, however we can make that happen.

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 00:58 Thu 4/28/2016

Originally posted by StefanSD

well i think site news is right (its the rest of group who didnt and dont subscribe to it)

but could go local forum or even beer talk

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 01:02 Thu 4/28/2016

Originally posted by b3shine
The site as a whole has changed since I joined, and I’m sure it’s more noticeable for members who’ve been around longer than myself. When I joined, RateBeer was primarily a community where you could rate beers, chat, trade, and meet fellow members. And while I think that it still exists, I don’t think it’s the site’s primary function anymore. It has become more of a resource in my opinion, that stores use to showcase their beers and people use to guide their purchases. The site has become more commercialized and the community aspect has become de-emphasized, at least relative to what it once was. I don’t know if it’s better or worse for site branding purposes, but it’s certainly a bummer from a community perspective. To be fair, I don’t think it’s all the site’s fault; other beer sites have popped up, beer groups on facebook have become plentiful, and there’s been a shift in priorities among beer geeks from using beer as a tool to meet other beer geeks to using beer geeks to grow their own cellars via trading. I think the inactivity in the Site News forum is, at least in part, an artifact of that.

That’s not to say that the community aspect has completely dissolved; it hasn’t, and every Gathering shows that. But the forums outside of Beer Trade don’t gather the attention of casual beer geeks anymore; they’re mostly seasoned vets deeply invested in the community already.

I think that a different point.
as im interested here in which are most subscribed forums, and where people thingk 10k , or 1000 stour posts should go.

but i think its a great point
Its the comunity that i think sets it appart from untappd etc

ive had guys from rate beer i dont know turn up to join a tasting and just drop 30 bottles of US with me,
ive had another guy id never met drive me from orlando and Tampa and round all the pubs there,
i stayed in ratebeerians houses with my family on holiday
if had numerous special bottles given, opened etc just cause im there.

Ive made real friends

Long live the Forums.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 01:02 Thu 4/28/2016

Beer Talk or Site News... both are fine!

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 01:50 Thu 4/28/2016

Originally posted by joet
Beer Talk or Site News... both are fine!

just out of curiosity has site news a much smaller subscription level

I was real surprised that 2/3 of people round the table last nigth didnt subscribe to it

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 02:06 Thu 4/28/2016

When I joined Ratebeer I was subscribed to Site News by default.