Freezing Point of Beer

Reads 32442 • Replies 3 • Started Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:23:02 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

donrajin
beers 233 º places 47 º 10:23 Thu 7/3/2008

My boss asked me the other day what the freezing point was for beer. I said well, theoreticly since most beers are on average 5% ABV then 95% of it is water and should freeze at 32F and the remaining alcohol I didn’t know because I don’t know it’s freezing point.

He said that didn’t make since because he goes to a store with a walk in cooler with a thermometer that says 25F, which has bags of ice in there that doesn’t melt, but the beer is not frozen.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic??

FlacoAlto
beers 4461 º places 17 º 10:29 Thu 7/3/2008

Originally posted by donrajin
My boss asked me the other day what the freezing point was for beer. I said well, theoreticly since most beers are on average 5% ABV then 95% of it is water and should freeze at 32F and the remaining alcohol I didn’t know because I don’t know it’s freezing point.

He said that didn’t make since because he goes to a store with a walk in cooler with a thermometer that says 25F, which has bags of ice in there that doesn’t melt, but the beer is not frozen.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic??

Alcohol reduces the freezing point of beer to below 32 degrees F. While the gravity raises it by a small amount. It depends on the alcohol content as to the exact temperature that it will start to freeze at.

For an actual estimate read this:

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6737

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 10:32 Thu 7/3/2008

From an article from the University of California at Davis (referenced above by FlacoAlto)

The freezing point of a beer is given as Freezing point

°C = –0.42*ABW + 0.04*OG + 0.2

ABW is the % of alcohol by weight
OG is the original gravity of the wort

On this basis, each 1% increase in alcohol content lowers the
freezing point by 0.42°C and each increase in gravity of 1°Plato
(P) raises it by 0.04°C. Thus, no beer will freeze at –1°C, and
products at higher alcohol concentrations (including high-gravity
brews prior to dilution) will withstand even lower temperatures.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12091 º places 543 º 10:37 Thu 7/3/2008

Lots of things affect the freezing point including the ABV, the dissolved sugars, and salts/inorganics. It’s freezing point is well below 32, due to the presence of all of these. It’s a misconception that freezing only removes water... you get preferential removal of water, but that’s not the only thing being removed. Some alcohol, salts and sugar will also come out as you approach the freezing point. It’s also affected by dissolved gases and nucleation sites. In short, it’s actually pretty complicated, and you’d need to dig into some physics texts to really get the answer you want.

You can dig through this reference if you really want to know more about it.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/3372177417526h51/fulltext.pdf

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer