French Cider Question.

Reads 1157 • Replies 11 • Started Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:14:08 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bierkitty
beers 183 º places 13 º 15:14 Sun 9/16/2012

I just sampled my first French Cider. The alc was around 5.5%. There were no preservatives added but it was moderately sweet. How is the fermentation stopped?

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 16:28 Sun 9/16/2012

I’m not sure, but French ciders may contain sulfites; I will check tomorrow at the supermarket.

Wouldn’t that possibly stop the fermentation?

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 16:30 Sun 9/16/2012

By the way, which one you had?

Usually the French define cider as Doux and typically it has 2-3% ABV
Demi-sec (4% ABV)
Sec or Brut (5-5.5% ABV)

Although the perception of sweetness is subjective...

bierkitty
beers 183 º places 13 º 18:28 Sun 9/16/2012

Christian Drouin. It states no additives. I was thinking they might pasteurize it somehow either UV or heat. I’m very interested in trying something like this with wild yeast.

auerbrau
beers 3202 º places 307 º 18:37 Sun 9/16/2012

Someone once mentioned that they kill the fermentation by racking the cider off the yeast when it reaches the desired gravity and sugar content. I think the same thing could be done by cold crashing the cider when they got there.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 01:52 Mon 9/17/2012

Originally posted by bierkitty
Christian Drouin. It states no additives. I was thinking they might pasteurize it somehow either UV or heat. I’m very interested in trying something like this with wild yeast.

Here at RB we don’t have any cider at 5.5%
I just checked their website, pure 90’s style (shit):
http://www.coeur-de-lion.com/produits_pommeau_cidre.php?lang=fr
There is not much info.
But they say that the cider is refermented in the bottle to obtain the carbonation; so the yeast can’t be dead by then.

There are many small cideries in France.
They can’t invest in equipment; that’s why in Europe still so many small businesses create products in the old ways.
I doubt that any of them would use pasteurization or UV.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12090 º places 543 º 04:33 Mon 9/17/2012

They use a process called defecation to remove most of the nutrients from the apple must. There is enough that there may still be a long slower in bottle fermentation but not enough that you’ll end up with bottle bombs. You can read a little more about it here. It’s similar (I believe) to keeving in the english cider tradition.

http://www.cider.org.uk/part4.htm

Sigmund
beers 13286 º places 446 º 08:41 Mon 9/17/2012

Nearly all real ciders contain some sulphites as a preservative, even when the bottle label makes no mention of it.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 10:48 Mon 9/17/2012

Originally posted by Sigmund
Nearly all real ciders contain some sulphites as a preservative, even when the bottle label makes no mention of it.

Not in the US as it is a federal requirement due to sulfite allergies...

bierkitty
beers 183 º places 13 º 14:49 Mon 9/17/2012

My mistake: the abv was 4.5 and it was Couer de lion

Originally posted by fiulijn
Originally posted by bierkitty

Here at RB we don’t have any cider at 5.5%
I just checked their website, pure 90’s style (shit):
http://www.coeur-de-lion.com/produits_pommeau_cidre.php?lang=fr
There is not much info.
But they say that the cider is refermented in the bottle to obtain the carbonation; so the yeast can’t be dead by then.

There are many small cideries in France.
They can’t invest in equipment; that’s why in Europe still so many small businesses create products in the old ways.
I doubt that any of them would use pasteurization or UV.

bierkitty
beers 183 º places 13 º 14:56 Mon 9/17/2012

Thanks for the link. It will take me some time to adsorb all the information.

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
They use a process called defecation to remove most of the nutrients from the apple must. There is enough that there may still be a long slower in bottle fermentation but not enough that you’ll end up with bottle bombs. You can read a little more about it here. It’s similar (I believe) to keeving in the english cider tradition.

http://www.cider.org.uk/part4.htm

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer