French Press Bourbon County Stout

Reads 11170 • Replies 40 • Started Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:42:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 16:08 Mon 1/6/2014

...... WHOA. Calling ReggieDunlap !

JoeTheYounger
beers 1183 º places 50 º 17:00 Mon 1/6/2014

Why do you heat up the beer? I’ve done one with fresh coffee grinds in the bottom of the French press and then poured cold BCBS to it and let sit for 10 minutes. OUTSTANDING.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 17:02 Mon 1/6/2014

Only heat when doing toasted coconut. Others, cold is fine

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 17:11 Mon 1/6/2014

Originally posted by jbrana
According to Goose Island, Bourbon County Coffee is made with the addition of cold brewed coffee after the barrel aging process. Has anyone tried adding cold brewed coffee or coffee concentrate into BCBS?

FYI, it’s not coffee infused beer but actually cold infused coffee made from water. It makes up Something like 10% of the batch. Finding the right coffee is key, not every coffee is the best, needs the right character.

jbrana
beers 641 º places 33 º 07:19 Tue 1/7/2014

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by jbrana
According to Goose Island, Bourbon County Coffee is made with the addition of cold brewed coffee after the barrel aging process. Has anyone tried adding cold brewed coffee or coffee concentrate into BCBS?

FYI, it’s not coffee infused beer but actually cold infused coffee made from water. It makes up Something like 10% of the batch. Finding the right coffee is key, not every coffee is the best, needs the right character.

Yeah, that is what I’m refefining to. I often brew cold coffee concentrate in the summer and plan on brewing some for the addition to BCBS. I’ll let y’all know how it turns out when I get around to it.

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 07:20 Tue 1/7/2014

Originally posted by adamjackson
Originally posted by pushkinwow
Might just have to try this on the weekend...one question though - did it leave a boozy oily finish in your french press? Since I use one every day for my coffee I don’t want to ruin it!

I have no idea as we used someone else’s and they are big coffee drinkers so I guess it was fine afterward. Certainly something to consider I hadn’t even thought of that.

I would imagine that the actual press would be fine (glass or metal should clean fine) but the mesh filter, depending on what you add to the beer, may get clogged or a little messed up. Especially if you do something with peanut butter or fruit with very small seeds.

errantnight
11:25 Tue 1/7/2014

Originally posted by pushkinwow
Might just have to try this on the weekend...one question though - did it leave a boozy oily finish in your french press? Since I use one every day for my coffee I don’t want to ruin it!

I’m not sure I understand the question. The oils would come from the coffee. Alcohol is going to be the first thing to go in the cleaning process.

I suppose if you’re doing a lot of vanilla, coconut, peanut butter, assuredly those things will start to have an impact on your press, but beer and coffee? No more than water and coffee, assuming you’re cleaning properly.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 16:07 Fri 1/10/2014

Trying this at home tonight

https://untappd.com/user/adamjackson/checkin/62920893

Going to do Raspberries next and then try peanut butter tomorrow when some friends are over.

LtDan
beers 1808 º places 65 º 14:44 Sat 1/11/2014

FL_homer
beers 1 º places 1 º 13:17 Sat 1/25/2014

Originally posted by adamjackson
Trying this at home tonight

https://untappd.com/user/adamjackson/checkin/62920893

Going to do Raspberries next and then try peanut butter tomorrow when some friends are over.
Did you try the peanut butter? I was just wondering how it turned out. Has anyone tried bacon?