From San Diego to Portland, two girls searching for help!

Reads 2467 • Replies 25 • Started Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:14:53 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 11:51 Sun 7/27/2014

Originally posted by fly
All I can add is a dose of envy. With even the slightest research + the info given above, you will have NO problem having an amazing trip.
My only other comment is "do not drink and drive". Laws may well be strict enough in Denmark that you know what I mean, but when beer and renting a car are combined, it must be said.

Yeah, I’ll echo Fly, drunk driving is serious business in California. AFAIK, 1st offense is mandatory 48 hours jail time upon arrest, followed by 30 days automatic suspension of license, and then several thousand in monetary fines. The rental car will be towed away and they will not rent you another one. This can really mess up a driving holiday.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 11:51 Sun 7/27/2014

Originally posted by fly
, but when beer and renting a car are combined, it must be said.

Yes, you don’t want to lose your deposit because of beer stains on the upholstery.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 12:21 Sun 7/27/2014

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by fly
, but when beer and renting a car are combined, it must be said.

Yes, you don’t want to lose your deposit because of beer stains on the upholstery.

.... or hosing out the vomit.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 12:25 Sun 7/27/2014

Something else fun to do in LA (not beer related) is to go see the taping of a Hollywood TV show, most all are free but you will need to make reservations. Perhaps the Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 12:51 Sun 7/27/2014

All this and no mention of Area 51 or Thompson brewing?

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 14:20 Sun 7/27/2014

In Oregon, if you’re taking I-5 across the California border, you can hit up Caldera about 30 minutes after the crossing.

I highly recommend (really can’t stress this enough) that you hit up Corvallis and go to Les Caves. You will find a lot of Oregon rarities at their bar, for the same price as you would at a bottle shop. (This and Block 15 makes the best sours in Oregon, and Les Caves usually has a couple.)

In Portland, don’t spend too much getting your wallet sucked dry at Cascade (prices are very expensive for the area), but spend some time going to Beermongers, Apex, and Imperial Bottle shop, all of which are a few blocks from each other. (Beermongers and Apex being across the street from each other.) Breakside’s production facility also has a significant number of taps, and they are the most creative brewer in Oregon.

If I think of anything else, I’ll add it.

MrChopin
beers 4304 º places 100 º 18:47 Sun 7/27/2014

+2 for Apex, my favorite bar in Portland.

+2 for Upright, my favorite beer spot in Portland. Tough hours though.

+2 for Les Caves, tons of great sour Oregon beer from Block 15 and Upright.

+1 for Beermongers. Nearby is Bushwhacker Cider, the best US bottle shop/bar for European ciders that I’ve seen.

+1 for skipping Cascade--if you love their sours it would be worth it, but service is very slow and they limit the current pours allowed on the table, plus their tasters are very small.

For Portland food, "Ken’s Pizza" is a must for dinner--the bacon pizza is incredible. "Roost" is a must for breakfast. If you like hamburgers, "Slow Bar" is great and had 1-2 taps of Boneyard IPAs when there.

richiesd
beers 31 º places 10 º 22:41 Sun 7/27/2014

Xul, from BeerAdvocate wrote a good guide to visiting San Diego. (I hate to mention it, but it’s worth it)

I was going to quote it, but it’s just too long.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-san-diego-summer-2014.191343/

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 00:03 Mon 7/28/2014

The idea of Danes learning about drink-driving from Americans is pretty funny. I’m sure the laws are indeed more draconian in California though.

Very Cali-centric recommendations so far. No mention of Crater Lake? It is, however, a long way inland from the coast, which is where the drive should be focussed, including that park where you can drive your car THROUGH a Redwood tree.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 00:08 Mon 7/28/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick
The idea of Danes learning about drink-driving from Americans is pretty funny. I’m sure the laws are indeed more draconian in California though.

Very Cali-centric recommendations so far. No mention of Crater Lake? It is, however, a long way inland from the coast, which is where the drive should be focussed, including that park where you can drive your car THROUGH a Redwood tree.

It’s a beer centered trip, and there is plenty of drop dead gorgeous scenery on the Oregon coast and inland going to Corvallis and even onto Bend, which is a beer city if there ever was one. Sending them into the middle of nowhere to Crater Lake seems unwise unless they have ample time in Oregon.