RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Fruit beer question

read 912 times • 16 replies • posted 1/12/2013 8:28:17 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

sylvia40 1:
Iíd like to know what the forum would recommend regarding adding pureed raspberries after flameout, or adding them to the secondary. Iíve read that either is acceptable, but Iíd like to hear what experience fruit beer makers have had. Iím planning on adding 6.5 lbs of puree for a 5.5 gallon batch.
Private message Send the author a private message

DA 1
Add them to secondary
1/12/2013 8:36:14 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Quasimodo 217:
Iíd avoid adding fruit to the brew kettle at flameout. You will get a good result by adding it to the secondary or to the primary near the end of fermentation. If you add it to the secondary, make sure you have enough yeast in the secondary to ferment the berries. A common mistake is leaving the yeast cake in the primary while trying to ferment the berries without enough yeast in the secondary.

I like to add fruit to the primary near the end of fermentation. All the yeast is still there and the berries will restart the fermentation quickly. Then you can transfer to the secondary after a week or so to let it settle and clear.

1/12/2013 9:54:12 AM

sylvia40 1:
Sounds good. Iíll add them to the primary after about 5 days and see how it works out. Iím making this for my wife who likes Frambois. Hope with a lb per gallon a lot of raspberry flavor comes through. Thanks!
1/12/2013 12:33:48 PM

premium
harrisoni 13828:22
What kind of malts and hops are you using for bitter and aroma on this? Just interested as Iíd like to brew something similar
1/12/2013 12:41:34 PM

Quasimodo 217:
If you want to get the sweetness of Lindemans Frambois, consider using some Splenda after the secondary fermentation.
1/12/2013 12:50:51 PM

sylvia40 1:
Only used Cascade last 20 mins, no bittering hops, per style recommendation.
Originally posted by harrisoni
What kind of malts and hops are you using for bitter and aroma on this? Just interested as Iíd like to brew something similar
1/13/2013 11:50:54 AM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by Quasimodo
If you want to get the sweetness of Lindemans Frambois, consider using some Splenda after the secondary fermentation.

Originally posted by Quasimodo

+1

I have a friend who toured their facility. They have barrels of the stuff and make no bones about it.

And the later you add the berries the less likely that the flavor and aroma will be driven off by the fermentation.
1/13/2013 2:14:22 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Youíll need more than a lb per gallon to get a great aroma.
1/13/2013 3:15:28 PM

Quasimodo 217:
Splenda is a convenient and reliable way to get a stable residual sweetness that will last forever since the yeast wonít eat it.
1/13/2013 3:34:08 PM

sylvia40 1:

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Youíll need more than a lb per gallon to get a great aroma.

Iím more interested in the taste than the aroma. I have about 1.2 lbs per gallon, actually. NHC brewers that did this style used 1.32 lbs. per gallon, so Iím in the ballpark.

About how much Splenda should I add to 6 gallons? I donít want it to taste like raspberry Kool-aid.
1/15/2013 9:11:45 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add