Fruit beer question

Reads 1717 • Replies 16 • Started Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:28:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sylvia40
beers 6 º 08:28 Sat 1/12/2013

I’d like to know what the forum would recommend regarding adding pureed raspberries after flameout, or adding them to the secondary. I’ve read that either is acceptable, but I’d like to hear what experience fruit beer makers have had. I’m planning on adding 6.5 lbs of puree for a 5.5 gallon batch.

DA
places 1 º 08:36 Sat 1/12/2013

Add them to secondary

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 09:54 Sat 1/12/2013

I’d avoid adding fruit to the brew kettle at flameout. You will get a good result by adding it to the secondary or to the primary near the end of fermentation. If you add it to the secondary, make sure you have enough yeast in the secondary to ferment the berries. A common mistake is leaving the yeast cake in the primary while trying to ferment the berries without enough yeast in the secondary.

I like to add fruit to the primary near the end of fermentation. All the yeast is still there and the berries will restart the fermentation quickly. Then you can transfer to the secondary after a week or so to let it settle and clear.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 12:33 Sat 1/12/2013

Sounds good. I’ll add them to the primary after about 5 days and see how it works out. I’m making this for my wife who likes Frambois. Hope with a lb per gallon a lot of raspberry flavor comes through. Thanks!

harrisoni
beers 25331 º places 68 º 12:41 Sat 1/12/2013

What kind of malts and hops are you using for bitter and aroma on this? Just interested as I’d like to brew something similar

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 12:50 Sat 1/12/2013

If you want to get the sweetness of Lindemans Frambois, consider using some Splenda after the secondary fermentation.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 11:50 Sun 1/13/2013

Only used Cascade last 20 mins, no bittering hops, per style recommendation.

Originally posted by harrisoni
What kind of malts and hops are you using for bitter and aroma on this? Just interested as I’d like to brew something similar

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 14:14 Sun 1/13/2013

Originally posted by Quasimodo
If you want to get the sweetness of Lindemans Frambois, consider using some Splenda after the secondary fermentation.

Originally posted by Quasimodo

+1

I have a friend who toured their facility. They have barrels of the stuff and make no bones about it.

And the later you add the berries the less likely that the flavor and aroma will be driven off by the fermentation.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 15:15 Sun 1/13/2013

You’ll need more than a lb per gallon to get a great aroma.

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 15:34 Sun 1/13/2013

Splenda is a convenient and reliable way to get a stable residual sweetness that will last forever since the yeast won’t eat it.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 09:11 Tue 1/15/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
You’ll need more than a lb per gallon to get a great aroma.

I’m more interested in the taste than the aroma. I have about 1.2 lbs per gallon, actually. NHC brewers that did this style used 1.32 lbs. per gallon, so I’m in the ballpark.

About how much Splenda should I add to 6 gallons? I don’t want it to taste like raspberry Kool-aid.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer