GABP added a 85-foot-long bar

Reads 2007 • Replies 21 • Started Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:18:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 20:18 Tue 3/25/2014

Just got wind of this tonight at a meeting and I am very excited. The Castellini’s wanted to have THE longest bar but ran out of room in the ballpark.

FYI

• The Reds Brewery District - The most noticeable ballpark feature new for the 2014 season is The Reds Brewery District, an 85-foot-long bar between sections 117 and 118 on the third base concourse. It will be home to 60 taps featuring 23 different craft beers plus Anheuser-Busch products Bud Light, Goose Island and Stella Artois. A dozen local craft beers will be served including selections from Christian Moerlein, MadTree, Blank Slate, 50 West, Rhinegeist, Mt. Carmel and Rivertown. New selections will be rotated in throughout the season.

• Moerlein Lager House Craft Beer concession stands - Two Moerlein Lager House craft beer concession stands are debuting, offering several of the local favorite’s craft beers and 48 bottled beer selections. The Moerlein Lager House concession stands are located behind section 130 on the first base concourse and 113 on the third base concourse. (formerly known as Grand Slam and already entered in Ratebeer database)

• Taste of Belgium concession stand - Fans can now get Cincinnati’s own Taste of Belgium waffles at the ballpark behind section 133 on the first base concourse. Featured items include waffles with chocolate or strawberry toppings, Belgium fries and a Waffle ’n’ chicken: chicken breast, Ohio maple syrup and hot sauce. (Unrelated to beer, but will appeal to the food lover)

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 22:02 Tue 3/25/2014

Overcompensating?

Seriously, though, it’s cool that local craft beer is being well-represented in our sports stadiums. Although I’m very curious as to what the prices will look like...

lethe
beers 177 º places 11 º 22:26 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm
Overcompensating?

Seriously, though, it’s cool that local craft beer is being well-represented in our sports stadiums. Although I’m very curious as to what the prices will look like...

Why be negative? This sounds like a good thing. Sure prices will be excessive, but I’m looking forward to it.

I remember when it was amazing to get an Oberon at a Reds game, and now we can get a local ipa. It’s nice to see these changes.

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 22:43 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by lethe
Overcompensating?

Why be negative? This sounds like a good thing. Sure prices will be excessive, but I’m looking forward to it.

I remember when it was amazing to get an Oberon at a Reds game, and now we can get a local ipa. It’s nice to see these changes.

Maybe it’s because I’m not a sports fan, or maybe it’s because I know what these beers cost per ounce and the absurd level of markup disturbs me, but I just can’t ever get comfortable with the shameless price-gouging at sports events.

That’s nothing new of course, though. You’re right, we really should look at the positive side of this... A wider selection of craft beer for all! But still, I can’t help but be curious what the prices will look like.

The idea of sipping a cold pint of Blank Slate’s gose during the particularly hotter days is exciting, but if it’s going to cost $8 or more that will kill my buzz. This kind of thing is why people imbibe as much as they can before entering the stadium.

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 04:24 Wed 3/26/2014

$8.75 for drafts and $7.25 for bottles for the last season. Compare that to the $8.50 for the 16oz cans of Buds. The best deal for the ABV is the Lime-a-Rita 24oz cans for $11. What sickens me is when I see people throw their beers away and I hear a loud thud. As an employee there, I think: there goes an hour’s worth of my work.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16532 º places 792 º 09:59 Wed 3/26/2014

This is a good thing. Stadium prices aren’t going to change. Having been to hundreds of games in St. Louis, as well as games in more than half of MLB parks, this is not common. That’s not to say it can’t be, but Cincy is actually at the forefront of such a dramatic craft presence in the stadium. If you’re going to pay $9 for a beer, it might as well be something good.

I’m going to the Wednesday game next week (Go Cards!). My seats are right by the new bar, so I’ll report back on how it is.

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 10:39 Wed 3/26/2014

I might work on Thursday and will also report if not that day when ever I work next.

lethe
beers 177 º places 11 º 11:37 Wed 3/26/2014

I’ll be watching the Reds play the Mets in Queens on opening weekend and the best beer I’ll be able to get will be a mediocre Brooklyn brew for about ten bucks. So, Cincy does have a good thing going and the prices aren’t bad given the inflated context.

Go Reds, Cards suck!

fletche00
12:20 Wed 3/26/2014

Originally posted by lethe
Overcompensating?

Maybe it’s because I’m not a sports fan, or maybe it’s because I know what these beers cost per ounce and the absurd level of markup disturbs me, but I just can’t ever get comfortable with the shameless price-gouging at sports events.

That’s nothing new of course, though. You’re right, we really should look at the positive side of this... A wider selection of craft beer for all! But still, I can’t help but be curious what the prices will look like.

The idea of sipping a cold pint of Blank Slate’s gose during the particularly hotter days is exciting, but if it’s going to cost $8 or more that will kill my buzz. This kind of thing is why people imbibe as much as they can before entering the stadium.

Its price gouging because.....the consumer will pay it, even if you wont, somebody will. You will notice several beers switching focus to 16oz 4pks, for the very reason of getting into sports venues. I can understand not wanting to pay that much for beer (and I dont want to either), but its all in good fun, and well worth it if at a company/family outing at the ball park, just makes everything that much more enjoyable.

Our ball park has Sun King Cans, 16oz are $7 or $8, and every other 24oz Domestic is the same price. Main difference though, if you sit in the lawn at Victory Field, you can bring your own beer (canned, no glass) with you in a cooler....so you aren’t forced to pay out the ass for a nice brew. Similar thing in Cincci?

Thats super awesome you guys are getting a huge craft beer impact at your stadium, I may have to attend a Reds game just to check it out.

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 13:35 Wed 3/26/2014

At the Great American Ball Park, you can bring in any food or drink, just not booze or glass. It now all has to fit in tiny coolers that can fit in a specific box upon entry (think carry-on luggage at the terminal gate).
To be fair, a pint at Moerlein (across the street) is $6. I think it within the range of acceptable mark up.
For the record, I won’t buy a beer because I work there and if I’m not working, I’m not taking my day off to see a Reds game.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16532 º places 792 º 08:32 Thu 3/27/2014

I can’t imagine MLB will ever allow alcohol to be brought in - in any format, under any circumstances.