RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Garrett Oliver called out by Shelton Bros, responds

read 6081 times • 80 replies • posted 5/2/2012 11:39:01 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

premium
admin
joet 2188:91
Oliver:

I am not a lawyer like Mr. Shelton, so I cannot claim to have any direct knowledge of what effects these tax law changes will have. I also have nothing to do with legislative issues or dealings with political figures – I make beer. I argued to Mr. Shelton, in a private email, that perhaps he should not be doing things that will have negative effects on small breweries.

http://beerpulse.com/2012/05/garrett-oliver-responds-to-shelton-brothers-call-out/

Background

http://beerpulse.com/2012/05/shelton-brothers-throws-brooklyn-brewery-under-the-bus-in-statement-on-new-york-fiasco/
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Shelton Brothers are so full of shit. They have a legal monopoly in the US and use their influence and finances to look out for themselves and themselves only. They do not look out for the small guy. Shelton Brothers saw this as a means to eliminate some competition. That is all that this garbage does. Personally, me and a lot of my friends stopped purchasing beer imported through Shelton Brothers long ago. I hope that the backlash of what they did hits them where it hurts: in their wallets.
5/2/2012 11:47:39 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
thirdeye11 5598:33
While I have no intimate knowledge of how Shelton conducts their business dealings, if all they did was ask for breaks where in-state brewers got them and they did not in New York, then I don’t see what they did as wrong. The playing field should be level for companies of similar size. The big guys are the ones who get all the breaks, and are the ones that need to pay their fair share. This really is no different than what many Americans are mad about, in that the rich need to pay a higher share of taxes compared to their income. No one likes a regressive tax, but progressive taxes are, for the most part, fair.
5/2/2012 12:05:59 PM

premium
admin
Damn... called out by the New York Post.

--

New Yorkers are about to get soaked when they want to raise a pint.
Two crucial state tax exemptions that had helped small craft brewers from Coney Island to the Catskills save thousands of dollars a year have been declared unconstitutional by a state court — effectively raising the cost of your next beer by at least a buck.
“It sucks,’’ said Janelle Best, 35, a bartender at Teddy’s Bar and Grill on Berry Street in Brooklyn.
“People come here to drink the local beer — the [Brooklyn] brewery is right around the corner, so we get a lot of spillover. It’s outrageous to put this tax increase on local businesses,” Best said.

The hefty hike was the result of a lawsuit by Belchertown, Mass.-based importer Shelton Brothers.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/beer_hike_on_tap_86vbgQf6M22N8tm4qHoGXJ
5/2/2012 12:12:57 PM

puzzl 3252:138
If it really is a matter of whether Brooklyn’s head brewer gets a bonus or not, New York has to decide whether it wants to give him and his colleagues that money, or use it for other essential services, like education, fire and police protection, etc., etc. I know how I’d vote on that. Unfortunately I don’t live in New York. But New Yorkers should be asking why tax breaks intended to reduce the cost of New York-brewed beers are being pocketed by some brewery big- wigs. And people are mad at us?

Wow, is this some kind of joke? Am I reading this correctly? I didn’t realize Shelton was the king of charity over here. I’d love to see his receipts showing him donating his bonus to the state every year to help with "education, fire, and police protection."
5/2/2012 12:14:18 PM

premium
Originally posted by thirdeye11
While I have no intimate knowledge of how Shelton conducts their business dealings, if all they did was ask for breaks where in-state brewers got them and they did not in New York, then I don’t see what they did as wrong.

They sued over a separate issue and threw this in as an "oh, by the way".

Why should a company based in Boston get the same treatment as a company based in New York? It is common practice to give tax breaks to local businesses. They are given so that those businesses do not leave the state and take the income the state collects tax on and the jobs they provide to the local communities with them.
5/2/2012 12:15:32 PM

miketd 125
joet quoting the NY Post =
5/2/2012 12:16:17 PM

premium

But in an e-mail, Shelton Brothers defended the ruling, snipping, “It’s just too damn bad that instead of lobbying to change the state law, they’re wasting time being furious at us when all we did was point out that we were getting screwed.”

Keep posting this crap, Shelton Bros. You shot yourselves in the foot and will now probably lose a good share of one of your largest markets over this.
5/2/2012 12:21:37 PM

premium
GodOfThunder 1247:34
The key is the brewers, and getting them to switch to better importers like B. United and upstart 12%.

I see that Jolly Pumpkin and St. Somewhere are still on Shelton’s roster. I can’t imagine either Bob Sylvester or Ron Jeffries being pleased with Shelton’s actions and arrogance.
5/2/2012 12:32:24 PM

premium
admin
Originally posted by GodOfThunder
The key is the brewers, and getting them to switch to better importers like B. United and upstart 12%.

I see that Jolly Pumpkin and St. Somewhere are still on Shelton’s roster. I can’t imagine either Bob Sylvester or Ron Jeffries being pleased with Shelton’s actions and arrogance.

This kind of attitude certainly calls attention to itself in the beer industry, which is typically very positive, cooperative and pro-social.
5/2/2012 12:35:30 PM

StuartCarter 21:10
Originally posted by GodOfThunder

how is it arrogance to ask for a level playing field?

5/2/2012 12:49:30 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers