GBBF 2013

Reads 14114 • Replies 223 • Started Sunday, June 2, 2013 2:33:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Originally posted by TimE
I can’t believe anyone in the UK that saw an Imp Stout being poured called it a lager. WTF?!?!? I am now starting to understand how clueless some CAMRA members must be, though hopefully he is more of an exception than the rule.

I hope so too, otherwise "we are doomed, we are all doomed" as Fraser would say.

We need a new thread about stereotype’s and what beers they might or might not drink!

<*))))))><

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40505 º places 1239 º 04:24 Fri 8/2/2013

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Originally posted by MagicDave6
A scenario that happened when I was serving a customer up in Islington on Tuesday:

Me: Alrighty.
Cust: Can I have a half of your strongest beer please?
Me: Yes, however I warn you that it is a 14% bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, is that ok?
Cust: Yes.
I start pouring the Bo & Luke van winkle aged stout on a keg line, its from a keykeg may i add.
I hear the following.
Cust: No, no, no I wanted beer not lager!
I stop pouring.
Me: Sorry this is an imperial stout not lager.
Cust: I am a CAMRA member, I know the difference between beer and lager!

Despite how incorrect the fellow may be with his statements, I like to think this fellow represents a normal CAMRA member.

So by this I go with Ian, GBBF must be a normal CAMRA and general cask ale drinkers dream. All those beers they recall from trips around the country, all in one place and it doesnt matter one bit to them what they taste like.

There is no such thing as a ’normal CAMRA member’: we are all different, just like everybody else!

<*))))))><

We all have stereotypes.

live in London who think imperial stouts are the be all and end all."

But I am sure I am as wrong as Tom on his views of CAMRA members.

Correct - they are !!!

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 04:25 Fri 8/2/2013

Originally posted by harrisoni

We all have stereotypes.

I always think of craft beer drinkers as " young professionals (like modern day yuppies) who live in London who think imperial stouts are the be all and end all."

I am not young
I am not very professional at times
I am not a modern day yuppie
I don’t live in London
I don’t think imperial stouts are the be all and end all

I drink craft beer.

I don’t have a beard
I don’t have a gut (well only a small one now)
I don’t wear sandals
I don’t hate lager
I will drink a beer over 5% ABV
I will drink foreign muck
I do like the new wave of more experimental brewers
I do like BrewDog
I do drink keg beer

I am a Camra member

You are a more active CAMRA member than me, would you say we are a minority in your experience?

of active members maybe, though that is largely self-selecting by those who have the time to commit (retired, children left home etc)

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:26 Fri 8/2/2013

Originally posted by TimE
I can’t believe anyone in the UK that saw an Imp Stout being poured called it a lager.

He may have mistaken it for a Baltic Porter! Easy mistake to make.

Fin
beers 17269 º places 1653 º 04:39 Fri 8/2/2013

We all have stereotypes.

I always think of craft beer drinkers as " young professionals (like modern day yuppies) who live in London who think imperial stouts are the be all and end all."

I am not young
I don’t live in London

I drink craft beer.

I don’t have a beard
I don’t wear sandals
I don’t hate lager
I do like BrewDog
I do drink keg beer

I am a Camra member

I am a CAMRA member and in fact I think that just about everyone of those pointers that Ian makes also applies to me, however I am inclined to wear sandals from time to time usually at Folk Festivals, but never with socks

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40505 º places 1239 º 04:41 Fri 8/2/2013

Originally posted by Fin

We all have stereotypes.

I am not young
I don’t live in London

I drink craft beer.

I don’t have a beard
I don’t wear sandals
I don’t hate lager
I do like BrewDog
I do drink keg beer

I am a Camra member

I am a CAMRA member and in fact I think that just about everyone of those pointers that Ian makes also applies to me, however I am inclined to wear sandals from time to time usually at Folk Festivals, but never with socks

Consider the modern equation : - Sock + Sandal = Beard

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 04:45 Fri 8/2/2013

You are a more active CAMRA member than me, would you say we are a minority in your experience?

Depends who you mean by "we." I think it would be a safe statement to make that the majority of Camra members are more conservative in their beer drinking habits than members of RateBeer.

On the other hand they probably drink fewer shitty pale lagers too.

However, I am always surprised by the number of my local branch who love a good lambic.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:45 Fri 8/2/2013

"shackled to that obstructive corpse called tradition"
I don’t think so.
Tradition helps us understand where beer came from. It gives a country identity.

I like tradition. Including this Ratebeer tradition of having this same discussion every GBBF (and sometimes at other times too).

So, tradition dictates that I should make my time-honoured contribution:
1. GBBF is what it is.
2. CAMRA is a membership organisation and policy can be changed by an involved membership.
3. There are shitloads of other CAMRA festivals that do not share the same objectives as GBBF so they may have a more adventurous beer ordering policy. Or, at least, one that would be easier to influence by involvement.
4. BSF has been allowed a lot of autonomy to do it’s own thing. Some of the stuff it sells sails rather close to the wind in terms of CAMRA acceptability and what the main organisers might want but this is tolerated on the QT. Arguing that the whole festival should work on the same basis as BSF is more likely to get BSF reined in than achieving that end.

And a new one for this year.
5. If you prefer to hang out with the cool kids and drink the cool beers you can go to that London Craft thingy instead. Me, I may well go to the London Craft thing as well as GBBF - if they ever actually get round to publishing a list of what beers they’ll have. I may even wear sandals. I just bought me a new pair.

wheresthepath
beers 3441 º places 279 º 05:12 Fri 8/2/2013

As a young(ish) CAMRA member, there’s definitely a big and fairly even split between the (generally older) members who are happy with a pub serving one well-conditioned real ale that they recognise (yes, even GK IPA) and those memebrs (usually younger) who want a pub stocking lots of unusual, innovative beers, and who are less worried about the keg vs craft debate.

Although I’m definitely in the latter category, I have to say that those beers I’ve had a chance to compare in both cask and keg (Brewdog Paradox & 5am) have been better in cask (albeit only slightly) due to the better mouthfeel. I don’t understand the wholesale rush away from cask by the "craft" brewers, and feel that this may be as much profit as taste orientated.

One advantage of CAMRA’s stance is that they draw a definite line under what constitutes real and non-real ale. There is no such dividing line with craft brews - anyone can release a beer and term it "craft", take the Sainsbury’s Tap Room beers and the new Brains Boiler Room & Barry Island IPAs for example. We all like to be smug about the new craft brewers producing better beer (which so far has generally been true) but I fear that the mass-market brewers are starting to jump on the bandwagon, and this will soon discredit the "craft" movement.

As a result I’m happy with CAMRA sticking with their dreal ale efinition. However, I would like to see them take a more active active and positive stance in working with the craft brewers (rather than against), trying to encourage them to use cask as well (at least for where they produce traditional UK beer styles, if not for lagers/ American IPAs), and trying to come up with a decent definition of what constitutes and can be labelled as a "craft beer".

let’s face it, there shouldn’t be this big division between CAMRA and the "tru" craft breweries; at the end of the day, they both have the similar ultimate aim of trying to encourage beer sales of the best possible taste!

Cheers

Anth