GBBF 2016

Reads 5993 • Replies 73 • Started Tuesday, July 26, 2016 8:11:37 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 06:32 Tue 8/16/2016

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
They want repeat custom so they always bring their flagship/regular beers in the hope that joe blogs drinker will become a repeat customer.

Unless they have their own stand the brewers don’t get to bring what they want. They get to supply whatever CAMRA orders (if they want to). But I’m sure CAMRA is keen to provide new/occasional cask ale drinkers with plenty of beers they can find again without too much difficulty.

I know one brewer who was disappointed in what Camra Wanted, and would rather have sent something a bit more interesting

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:43 Tue 8/16/2016

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
They want repeat custom so they always bring their flagship/regular beers in the hope that joe blogs drinker will become a repeat customer.

Unless they have their own stand the brewers don’t get to bring what they want. They get to supply whatever CAMRA orders (if they want to). But I’m sure CAMRA is keen to provide new/occasional cask ale drinkers with plenty of beers they can find again without too much difficulty.

I know one brewer who was disappointed in what Camra Wanted, and would rather have sent something a bit more interesting

On the other hand, I can see why CAMRA wants to provide newbies with "go to" beers that they can drink regularly. I recall at one GBBF being asked for a recommendation by a bunch of South Africans who were regular Guinness drinkers. I directed them to Saltaire Triple Chocaholic and they enjoyed it so much that said they’d make it their regular tipple. They were most disappointed when I told them that wouldn’t be possible.

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 11:51 Tue 8/16/2016

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

On the other hand, I can see why CAMRA wants to provide newbies with "go to" beers that they can drink regularly. I recall at one GBBF being asked for a recommendation by a bunch of South Africans who were regular Guinness drinkers. I directed them to Saltaire Triple Chocaholic and they enjoyed it so much that said they’d make it their regular tipple. They were most disappointed when I told them that wouldn’t be possible.

yeah, its a fine balancing game, and i suspect the mass twitter / blogger are in the We could do better with selection, but mass turn out want something they can find in pub easily

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1562 º places 1908 º 10:43 Wed 8/17/2016

It was a decent festival with the highlight for me being the US casks. I’m not sure I’d go just to drink the UK cask beers as, travelling around a bit, I could try most of them.

I’d say that if you wanted to drink interesting and different UK cask beers in London then there’s not a huge amount of venues that get different things all the time. The Taps and CBCs of the world tend to aim for the same few quality breweries (No complaints there!) and the vast majority of pubs in London you’d get Fullers, Doom Bar, Youngs, Greene King or other nationals.

If you wanted to drink Brampton Mild or Dunham Massey Chocolate Cherry Mild on cask I’d say you’d be down to a handful of pubs in London at best (as in most UK cities).

The GBBF does showcase breweries, I picked up a lot of ones I hadn’t "rated" as such but had the beers before I joined the site. A mate who ticks new breweries only required 1 brewery at GBBF.
Don’t think the list is that inspirational to be honest but it is not designed to be a tickers fest as such. Peterborough, Nottingham, Sheffield, Tamworth and others cater to this market.

madmitch76
beers 36920 º places 240 º 19:11 Mon 10/3/2016

Stone Ruination 2.0 turned up with a footnote of ’with 7 Idaho’ hops. There’s 7 varieties of hops grown in Idaho? Who knew? Well no one - ’cos it’s a new hop called ’Idaho 7’. Next question - did anyone add this and see it deleted? Dry hop version of this beer? Anyone have any info at all on this double IPA?

alovelydrop
beers 70 º places 97 º 06:17 Tue 10/4/2016

Originally posted by WingmanWillis
It was a decent festival with the highlight for me being the US casks. I’m not sure I’d go just to drink the UK cask beers as, travelling around a bit, I could try most of them.

I’d say that if you wanted to drink interesting and different UK cask beers in London then there’s not a huge amount of venues that get different things all the time. The Taps and CBCs of the world tend to aim for the same few quality breweries (No complaints there!) and the vast majority of pubs in London you’d get Fullers, Doom Bar, Youngs, Greene King or other nationals.

If you wanted to drink Brampton Mild or Dunham Massey Chocolate Cherry Mild on cask I’d say you’d be down to a handful of pubs in London at best (as in most UK cities).

The GBBF does showcase breweries, I picked up a lot of ones I hadn’t "rated" as such but had the beers before I joined the site. A mate who ticks new breweries only required 1 brewery at GBBF.
Don’t think the list is that inspirational to be honest but it is not designed to be a tickers fest as such. Peterborough, Nottingham, Sheffield, Tamworth and others cater to this market.

On this note does anyone have any particular recs for drinking mild in London? Had a couple of pints of St Peters in the Jerusalem Tavern on Friday and it gave me a taste for it (that and its brilliant, obviously).

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40501 º places 1239 º 07:38 Tue 10/4/2016

Originally posted by alovelydrop
Originally posted by WingmanWillis

On this note does anyone have any particular recs for drinking mild in London? Had a couple of pints of St Peters in the Jerusalem Tavern on Friday and it gave me a taste for it (that and its brilliant, obviously).

Not been for a while but the Bree Louise used to be a good bet for a mild.

Other than that the Craft Beer Co’s (between them) usually have one. You can check the menu’s on line these days to save hunting them down on foot!

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 08:01 Tue 10/4/2016

Originally posted by madmitch76
Stone Ruination 2.0 turned up with a footnote of ’with 7 Idaho’ hops. There’s 7 varieties of hops grown in Idaho? Who knew? Well no one - ’cos it’s a new hop called ’Idaho 7’. Next question - did anyone add this and see it deleted? Dry hop version of this beer? Anyone have any info at all on this double IPA?

I imagine it would have been aliased rather than deleted if it was added. Gbbf released the name and abv, so we have enough basic info to add it, but I don’t have any extra info on whether it is a unique beer

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 08:05 Tue 10/4/2016

Good shout. Though you may have to put up with a tangy mild there. Condition very hit and miss at the Bree!

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40501 º places 1239 º 08:27 Tue 10/4/2016

Originally posted by The_Osprey

Good shout. Though you may have to put up with a tangy mild there. Condition very hit and miss at the Bree!

indeed ... that’s why the bree Louise is very rarely in my thoughts.

Ditto the condition In their sister pub, the duchess of Cambridge, that didn’t last for more than a couple of years !