RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Non-US | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

germany - brewers fear beer price war!

read 4892 times • 87 replies • posted 4/22/2013 2:56:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

graziano85 304:14
Originally posted by pivnizub
2. To too many germans beers is only "simple food"; they love cheap foodstuff! Slogan: get more, pay less!....
Here itís no problem to find people with the newest smart-phone, the hugest flat-screen TV and the biggest SUV, who are proud that they bought one chicken for two Euros!

I totally agree

To me is the opposite, since Iím a good italian ahah
In my opinion, if food is too cheap, there is something wrong with it, and 90% of the times itís like that...Quality first of all! itís thank to this philosophy that italian food is worlwide famous and Italy is recognized as the nation where, on the average, food is the best
We cannot say the same for the german food... but american too...hihi
4/25/2013 12:04:06 PM

Private message send the author a private message

graziano85 304:14
3. Beer belongs in many parts of Germany (especially in Bavaria, Cologne and DŁsseldorf) to the daily life; it accompanies the meals and is consumed in larger quantities in company. Do You really think that Baltic Porters or Quadruples are suitable for that?

Thatís also true, is a good point I didnít consider

But at least sometimes, to change is good...I still cannot believe that almost no one of them feel this.
4/25/2013 12:06:57 PM

premium
McTapps 3948:126
Originally posted by Erlangernick

Wait. You mean, you canít find an online shop that sells good American beer in Germany? Have you not tried bierzwerg and of course, bierkompass? you really canít get anything from America.

Yeah, I exactly mean that because Iím not talking 08/15 boring Flying Dog stuff you get just like anywhere or another Sierra Nevada, which is also wide available and just so tiring. Iím talking about stuff from America which you donít even know and which even is in the Top 50 of just any style. I know both of the German online shops, but they are just boring in regard of US beers. But other than you I really love craft beer which you love to call [sic].
4/25/2013 1:08:50 PM

premium
pivnizub 8800:465
Originally posted by McTapps

Wait. You mean, you canít find an online shop that sells good American beer in Germany? Have you not tried bierzwerg and of course, bierkompass? you really canít get anything from America.

Yeah, I exactly mean that because Iím not talking 08/15 boring Flying Dog stuff you get just like anywhere or another Sierra Nevada, which is also wide available and just so tiring. Iím talking about stuff from America which you donít even know and which even is in the Top 50 of just any style. I know both of the German online shops, but they are just boring in regard of US beers. But other than you I really love craft beer which you love to call [sic].

What the hell is wrong with Sierra Nevada?
4/25/2013 1:36:25 PM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by McTapps

Well, I learned in school that we use "[sic]" to quote a mis-spelling, grammatical error, or other such mistake in writing. In this case, I use it to show that the term "craft" is a dopey, meaningless, unnecessary marketing term. Iíve been rolling my eyes at the use of the word for 20 years now.

Thatís different than my criticisms of whatís wrong with much of American-brewed non-Bud/Miller/Coors/adjunct-industrolager beer, of course.

What the hell is wrong with Sierra Nevada?

Nothingís wrong with most of their beers. SNPA, however, is over-sweet and under-hopped for its strength. Unbalanced. Then again, it was inspired by Fullerís ESB...sadly, SNCA is overly crystal-malt-laden. Porter, Stout, IPA, Summerfest are all fine.
4/29/2013 12:27:26 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by Marko
Umm, Erlangernick, I canít say Iíve been everywhere in Germany, far from it, but Iíve seen Breznaks and Litovels (if I remember correctly) and similar all the time in supermarkets. Both in Hessen and in ThŁringen

Breznak "Schwarzbier" [sic] is indeed at REWE here, and is indeed quite good for 59 cents a 50 cl bottle. Their Pils, however, is a dumper. Krusovice 10į is available online, as are some other interesting stronger beers, but.......other than that, PU is all I can find round here.
4/29/2013 12:32:07 AM

lberges 39
Originally posted by graziano85
One big problem there is in Germany: Reinheitsgebot

Itís not a problem, itís law.
5/2/2013 2:58:18 AM

lberges 39
Originally posted by hopbomber
Originally posted by graziano85
One big problem there is in Germany: Reinheitsgebot

Exactly, itís archaic and counterproductive in a modern beer market. Fridges full of pils and a handful of hefes will cause price wars. Making distinctive beer would cost more money and will the Germans embrace them? No, Purity translates to quality out there.

Yo know what is archaic?
To allow people drink their first beer at the age of 21. In a free country?
You know what is counterproductive?
Not to allow drinking beer in public. You have to hide the good stuff.
The Reinheitsgebot is a law with a very high acceptance.
It is also widely accepted to have your first beer in public at 16.
The price war nice. You get good beer at low price, and even escellent beer does not cost a fortune.
5/2/2013 3:11:42 AM

lberges 39
IPAs are made with distinct hop varieties. German pilsners are usually made with hop extract, which has no distinctive signature. It just tastes like hopfenextrakt. The malts are approached in a similar manner. IPA varies much more in malt character. Alcoholic strength varies a lot more in IPA - show me similar variance in German pilsner.

There are at least more than 500 Pilsner brands in Germany. Most of them are not made with hopfenextract. Simply read the labels an you can find out.
Many of the cheap supermarkets Pilsner use hopfenextract, so they can survive the price war, but there are so many excellent Pilsners without hopfenextrakt.
5/2/2013 3:23:11 AM

lberges 39
Originally posted by theRunningBoar
I think in the bigger cities with a strong cultural (and young) bone it wouldnít be too hard to start a small brewery focusing on ícraftí beer. The great thing is that there are almost no monolopies (bar-wise) in germany. Itís very open and a huge amount of retailers. And it is very easy to organise events, ...
Focus would have to lie on distribution, grass-root level.

That is right. Berlin has now about 20 micro-breweries. Distribution is the major problem for all small breweries. The big brewers pay a lot of money to get on the shelf in the supermarkets. Distribution at grass-root level is the only way out. And it works!
5/2/2013 3:28:25 AM

Home > Forums > Non-US

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers