RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Non-US | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Germany - brewers fear beer price war!

read 5041 times • 87 replies • posted 4/22/2013 2:56:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

lberges 43
Originally posted by graziano85
Originally posted by pivnizub
3. Beer belongs in many parts of Germany (especially in Bavaria, Cologne and DŁsseldorf) to the daily life; it accompanies the meals and is consumed in larger quantities in company. Do You really think that Baltic Porters or Quadruples are suitable for that?

Thatís also true, is a good point I didnít consider
But at least sometimes, to change is good...I still cannot believe that almost no one of them feel this.

For lunch I consider a pale lager first.
In the evening you can try some other styles. But I hate sipping on a quadrupel when may friends order the next Halbe.
5/2/2013 3:36:46 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
jonas 5847:30
There is a interesting article in the Washington Post about Germany and American craft beer:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in-germany-a-us-beer-invasion/2013/04/30/0d03f6e6-adf3-11e2-8bf6-e70cb6ae066e_story.html
5/2/2013 7:52:32 AM

premium
SHIG 3664:205
Germans are so simple minded when it comes to beer in my experiences. To start they are regionalized, I lived near Bitburg and there werenít many places to find Munich beers regularly. I used to drink FrŁh KŲlsch often and got picked on for it, as my German friends would say "drinking morning beer" weak beer made for breakfast time. At the end of the day how excited can you get over cookie cutter pils, lager, and weizens.

During this time when I lived in Germany my beer room used to have 400+ different Belgium, Dutch, German, British, and American beers. Every time my landlord saw me he said that if the rest of the town found out that I didnít drink just Bitburger they might ask him to throw me out. This is the message ingrained at birth. The Reinheitsgebot may be gone in law, but never forgotten in heritage and upbringing.
5/2/2013 8:38:49 AM

graziano85 321:14
Originally posted by lberges
For lunch I consider a pale lager first.
In the evening you can try some other styles. But I hate sipping on a quadrupel when may friends order the next Halbe.

In effect, itís not totally wrong from this point of view
5/2/2013 12:40:08 PM

DerWeg 1525:38
"NŲ, Andechser is only a step above the blandest German beer. Not worthy of being considered among the better ones." (- Erlangernick)

Wow I had a number of Andechser lagers that were awfully good, while at the same time going through many, many indifferent lagers on my last stay in Hamburg. Those from Andechs were GOOD to me - surprisingly so, given bottling and travel - but then thatís personal taste. In a heartbeat Iíd re-buy!

I know what you mean though about the írareí Frankenbier having ale-like complexity, sort of a softness and depth and expansiveness to the flavor. Itís magic to discover them passing through towns. I also totally hear you that German brewers should emulate low-ABV classic beers from UK and CZ, simply because those very tasty ísession beersí would be enjoyable for a German market that really wants to reform its culturally-based alcohol excess, so it would be a healthy (and fun) way to do this.
5/2/2013 9:17:14 PM

premium
McTapps 4589:157
Originally posted by DerWeg
Wow I had a number of Andechser lagers that were awfully good, while at the same time going through many, many indifferent lagers on my last stay in Hamburg. Those from Andechs were GOOD to me - surprisingly so, given bottling and travel - but then thatís personal taste. In a heartbeat Iíd re-buy!

Exactly my opinion! Almost all Andechser beers are so great and nice to drink! You are my buddy ;-)
5/3/2013 8:13:38 AM

left_bank 71:58

Originally posted by DerWeg

i have always enjoyed their biers!
5/3/2013 8:56:33 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
Yeah, I still say that Andechser is better than the run-of-the-mill bland German lager, but yet not as good as the better (Franconian, mostly) ones. The setting adds to the mystique, and that itís a Klosterbrauerei.
5/4/2013 3:00:04 AM

graziano85 321:14

Exactly my opinion! Almost all Andechser beers are so great and nice to drink! You are my buddy ;-)

For me too...their weizen is really good, and rather different than many others, and the dunkel doppelbock is also one of the best example of that style, and also bergbock hell is quite good respect many other helles, IMHO.
5/4/2013 1:11:23 PM

premium
McTapps 4589:157
Originally posted by graziano85

For me too...their weizen is really good, and rather different than many others, and the dunkel doppelbock is also one of the best example of that style, and also bergbock hell is quite good respect many other helles, IMHO.

Absolutely. When Iím in the mood of drinking Bock, I buy Andechser because I know what I get (and what I like). All the "Franconian" beers (not even listed as a style of its own) are so similar and boring, Iím sick and tired of them....but thatís also just IMHO ;-)
5/4/2013 1:26:33 PM

Home > Forums > Non-US

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers