Germany needs a beer consumer group - are you interested?

Reads 1084 • Replies 8 • Started Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:47:24 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Tim Webb
beers 507 º places 626 º 02:47 Tue 7/26/2016

The world of beer is changing rapidly. On one side, we see new breweries emerging across Germany and the whole of Europe in greater numbers that for a century or more. On the other, by the end of 2016 one-third of the world’s beer will be made or commissioned by a single company - formed by the world’s biggest ever corporate takeover.

The policies and deals that determine the future of beer are made at the Europe-wide level and beer consumers need representation to ensure that these reflect what the consumer needs.

EBCU (the European Beer Consumer Union) has been doing just that for over a quarter of a century. We represent the views of beer consumers from 13 different countries. We focus on three things:

• Cost: ensuring that beer prices are fair – from taxation to taking account of ingredients and method of production

• Diversity: preserving beer styles and cultures – from Reinheitsgebot to craft gose and revived Lichtenhainer beers

• Information: making sure the consumer is provided with correct facts about the content of beers and where they originate

At present Germany is not represented in this debate because it has no national group to speak for its many and varied beer consumers. EBCU wants to encourage the development of such a group.

In the first week of August a few of us will be in Berlin for the Biermeile and we would like to meet interested individuals.

We will be at:

Emil’s Biergarten (www.wbb-pankow.de/biergarten/), Berliner Straße 80-82, 13189 Berlin on Thursday 4th August from 19.30 to 21.00 (between Schönhauser Allee [U2; S8/S9/S41/S42/S85; tram M1] and Vinestraße [U2; M1/50]).

Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt (www.augustiner-braeu-berlin.de/), Charlottenstraße 55 (corner of Jägerstraße), 10117 Berlin on Friday 5th August from 15.00 to 17.00 (U2 Stadtmitte or U6 Franzözische Straße).

One or two of us are also available all week to meet for a beer if you cannot make one of these meetings. Reply to me via Ratebeer or directly to katie.mckelliget@ebcu.org

Henri Reuchlin (Chair)
Katie McKelliget (Secretary)
Bo Jensen (Executive)
Carl Kins (Executive)
Jan Lichota (Executive)
Tim Webb (Executive)

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 03:41 Tue 7/26/2016

Do the EBCU still think that RateBeerians are "dummys"?

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/ebcu-officially-dont-like-beer-rating-sites_194760.htm

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 04:26 Tue 7/26/2016

Originally posted by VsXsV
Do the EBCU still think that RateBeerians are "dummys"?

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/ebcu-officially-dont-like-beer-rating-sites_194760.htm

LOL, I think this is a great question:)

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 04:52 Tue 7/26/2016

To be fair I think we’re "dummys (sic)" too

lberges
beers 19 º places 64 º 17:37 Tue 8/16/2016

Any response for that idea in Berlin?
I never had the feeling that a beer consumer group is what Germany needs badly.

olsvammel
beers 8486 º places 177 º 02:15 Thu 8/18/2016

I would love it if the EBCU would switch focus from attacking beer consumers to actually working on the three things listed above. Such a weird organization.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:24 Thu 8/18/2016

German beer drinkers need protection from the decades-long process of homogenisation, dumbing-down, and cheapening of the vast bulk of the beer brewed by its traditional breweries. Also from the new wave of American-influenced micros producing ridiculously over-priced Stone-wannabe beers.

The Invisible Hand will look after all.

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 03:35 Thu 8/18/2016

Originally posted by Erlangernick
German beer drinkers need protection from the decades-long process of homogenisation, dumbing-down, and cheapening of the vast bulk of the beer brewed by its traditional breweries. Also from the new wave of American-influenced micros producing ridiculously over-priced Stone-wannabe beers.

[/quote

I agree with both of these points.

14€ 33cl ba stout w a wood block on it anyone? Fucking ridiculous’

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:05 Fri 8/19/2016

Originally posted by digita7693
Originally posted by Erlangernick

[/quote

I agree with both of these points.

14€ 33cl ba stout w a wood block on it anyone? Fucking ridiculous’

I sort of made three points though. WHICH ONES?