Get In This Thread for College Football 2012

Reads 82079 • Replies 927 • Started Monday, October 1, 2012 2:04:43 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MlhopeTC
places 20 º 18:50 Wed 10/3/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch
O’Leary sucks and UCF can’t afford to buy him out. C-USA teams get little over $1 mil per year from the conference. They have no choice but to keep him throughout the duration of his contract... or at least until that (although still mediocre) first, much larger Big East check is cashed. If they could have afforded to fire him, they would have after he killed his second player during late summer drills.

Now, who can they get? I don’t know, but the Big East is basically the minor leagues for big time coaches. Look at all the guys that were coaches in the Big East that moved on to bigger and better things... Greg Schiano (TB Bucks), Brian Kelly (Notre Dame), Rich Rod (Michigan), Mark Dantonio (Michigan State), Todd Graham (Arizona State). Seriously! There are guys there now who will be moving on as well... Charlie Strong (Louisville), Butch Jones (Cincy), the dude at Pitt... look where Wisconsin is now, offensively, without him.

UCF could do much, much better... and will. But, eventually, he’ll leave.

... and don’t give me the "oh, they’ve only been 1-A for 15 years shit. USF? Florida Atlantic? FIU? They’ve won more bowl games already.

O’Leary blows.

I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said. The most important point you made was that there are much much much better coaches out there that we COULD get. And your final point couldn’t be more spot on, O’Leary does in fact, blow.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 07:38 Thu 10/4/2012

Phil Steele bringing out the fire talking crap about WVU and calling for a big win for Texas this weekend..

Starnes. Is. Angry.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 08:26 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by MlhopeTC
O’Leary has proven, yet again, this year that he can’t coach those games. Did you watch our game against Missouri?!? I’m guessing no, but there was no reason we should have lost that one..

In fact there are three reasons UCF lost that game, even while the offensive play-calling was keeping you IN it. (By that I mean lots of pitches, roll-outs and short passes that took the best advantage of Mizzou’s bend-a-hell-of-a-lot -but-hopefully-don ’t-break-very-ofte n-in-the-red-zone defense.) Over and over and over it was working. You were moving the ball and keeping possession against us as well as anyone this season not named Spurrier.

Those three reasons: 1) DGB, who made a big play, 2) Marcus Murphy, who made a big play, and 3) Sheldon Richardson, who made a big play. Two TDs and a fumble recovery made by very talented playmakers.

However: I’d be willing to concede that non-UCF people overrate O’Leary because we have actually heard of him, and it surprises us that we have heard of the coach from UCF.

You compare UCF to USF, FIU and Florida Atlantic, and that seems like apples to apples to me... But your expectations to me sound quite a bit higher than that. As they should be, I’d think.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:18 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Phil Steele bringing out the fire talking crap about WVU and calling for a big win for Texas this weekend..

Starnes. Is. Angry.

Phil Steele is usually right.

I’m still eating TexMex, BBQ and going to the game.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:21 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by JoeinEscazú
O’Leary has proven, yet again, this year that he can’t coach those games. Did you watch our game against Missouri?!? I’m guessing no, but there was no reason we should have lost that one..

In fact there are three reasons UCF lost that game, even while the offensive play-calling was keeping you IN it. (By that I mean lots of pitches, roll-outs and short passes that took the best advantage of Mizzou’s bend-a-hell-of-a-lot -but-hopefully-don ’t-break-very-ofte n-in-the-red-zone defense.) Over and over and over it was working. You were moving the ball and keeping possession against us as well as anyone this season not named Spurrier.

Those three reasons: 1) DGB, who made a big play, 2) Marcus Murphy, who made a big play, and 3) Sheldon Richardson, who made a big play. Two TDs and a fumble recovery made by very talented playmakers.

However: I’d be willing to concede that non-UCF people overrate O’Leary because we have actually heard of him, and it surprises us that we have heard of the coach from UCF.

You compare UCF to USF, FIU and Florida Atlantic, and that seems like apples to apples to me... But your expectations to me sound quite a bit higher than that. As they should be, I’d think.

No one here knows who DGB, Marcus Murphy or Sheldon Richardson is. Even other SEC schools’ fans don’t know.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:22 Thu 10/4/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum

Starnes. Is. Angry.

Phil Steele is usually right.

I’m still eating TexMex, BBQ and going to the game.

Are you seeing Walt? Or is he too short?

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 09:31 Thu 10/4/2012

No one here knows who DGB, Marcus Murphy or Sheldon Richardson is. Even other SEC schools’ fans don’t know.

Any college fan with a clue knows who Dorial is and he should have been tackled right when he caught the ball, that was a gift from the UCF secondary.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 10:04 Thu 10/4/2012

Lack of notoriety is irrelevant to my point, but more people know the initials for Dorial Green-Beckham than his full name, and he was the nation’s top recruit last year. Marcus Murphy is not yet well known but it’s looking promising, with three kick returns for touchdowns so far this year. A receiver named Jeremy Maclin started in much the same way at Missouri. Finally Shelden Richardson is leading all SEC lineman in tackles so if other SEC fans don’t know who he is, they had better learn.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:02 Thu 10/4/2012

Pretty solid slate this weekend..

Gonna be pretty busy with the wedding tomorrow and Saturday.. so if I don’t get a chance, good luck to everyone.. especially Gumby.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 16:07 Thu 10/4/2012

Eric you’re a subscriber to Rivals, how have you at least not know who DGB is? #1 rated recruit in the country last year. Richardson was a 5 star that Miami was in for, but he stayed home, as well. Never heard of Murphy though.