RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Going to do a macro lager blind taste taste this summer to prove something

read 2296 times • 41 replies • posted 6/23/2013 1:10:19 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
LinusStick 2866:50
I was arguing with co-workers that there is not a big difference between all of the American macro lagers flavors. It was annoying me when we would talk about beer and hear them say "I LOVE Miller Lite but I canít drink even a sip of Bud Light without spitting it out and throwing it out". First off, they know I am a beer nerd, but they still argue that there is a HUGE difference in taste between all of the macros. So I invited them to come to a blind taste test and see how accurate they are. A bunch of them said if I included Bud, Miller, Coors, Pabst, Old Milwaukee and a bunch of other macros they could even pick out which is which. Obviously I donít believe this but I am willing to bet the beer they think they like the best out of them is not the beer they will pick if you take the name, commercials and stigma out of what they are drinking. Anyone ever try something like this?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
drowland 6082:172
I donít know which is which since I donít drink them, but they most definitely taste different from each other. You will probably find that yourself during your blind test. However, I suspect that your buddies wonít be able to identify them as well as they think.
6/23/2013 1:15:06 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
dcschiller 2207:45
Will you be including any N/A beers? That would be fun.
6/23/2013 1:16:40 PM

b33r 675:12
Iíve always wanted to do this, but canít find where they sell singles of any of these, and I donít really want like ten 6pks of random pale lagers.
6/23/2013 1:17:22 PM

premium
pepsican 1447:46
Pretty sure anyone could pick out a Coors light vs. a Bud light. Pabst and a few others would be noticeable to me vs. the big 3, but against the odd balls I wouldnít stand a chance.

Make sure you get the beers as fresh as possible.
6/23/2013 1:21:01 PM

Cliff 399:70
I did this once with bud light, miller lite and coors light and got them pretty easy. If you added more though, as RG said, I would have no chance.
6/23/2013 1:38:49 PM

mikesaum 596:18
Iím sure i could taste the subtle differences, but as far as identifying them from there flavor, no way.
6/23/2013 1:41:13 PM

premium
GT2 8507:603
For me Iíd go paper is bud light, green apple is Coors light, and bizarre acidity and bite is PBR. But add in stuff I donít drink ever like miller lite then Iíd be turned around. So maybe only do like 4 at a time and tell them which ones are in the mix to make it fair.

I hope you video the whole thing because your friends are about to be schooled.
6/23/2013 2:07:27 PM

premium
StefanSD 2150:45
Cool challenge. Mix in a couple of non macros just to see how they fare, perhaps a Yuengling or a New Glarus two women lager.

And I doubt that people who arenít accustomed to picking out and differentiating flavors will fare very well in this venture. This is something that takes experience and practice.
6/23/2013 2:27:43 PM

premium
JMerritt 1813:72
Put in a few of them twice as well.
6/23/2013 2:39:13 PM

pinkie 470:10
I would love to watch this one and the reactions when folks are told what their choices were. =) I would participate even if it was just to see which crappy beer I thought tasted the best.
6/23/2013 2:42:57 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers