RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Going to do a macro lager blind taste taste this summer to prove something

read 2193 times • 41 replies • posted 6/23/2013 1:10:19 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
StefanSD 2110:45
Originally posted by pinkie
I would love to watch this one and the reactions when folks are told what their choices were. =) I would participate even if it was just to see which crappy beer I thought tasted the best.

Me too. Iíd love to attend a blind tasting like this.

I once did a blind taste test with my wife to see which cola flavors she could identify. She was a hard core diet coke drinker at the time. Candidates were coke, diet coke, pepsi, diet pepsi, mexican coke and a micro brand called Agave-cola. It nearly cost me my marriage. But to this day she now prefers the Agave-cola.
6/23/2013 3:02:11 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
LinusStick 2838:47
Originally posted by drowland
I donít know which is which since I donít drink them, but they most definitely taste different from each other. You will probably find that yourself during your blind test. However, I suspect that your buddies wonít be able to identify them as well as they think.

To US maybe, but to people who donít drink beer because they like the flavor, Iím willing to bet they donít do well. I know there are subtle differences, but to call one incredible and one undrinkable (especially when just talking about light beers) is just silly. Thereís not THAT much difference to be THAT polar opposite. Beer nerd or not
6/23/2013 3:03:27 PM

premium
Originally posted by JMerritt
Put in a few of them twice as well.

That is evil. Iíd do it.
6/23/2013 3:04:33 PM

pinkie 460:10
Originally posted by StefanSD
Originally posted by JMerritt
Put in a few of them twice as well.

That is evil. Iíd do it.

Me too! Really confuse íem.
6/23/2013 3:08:53 PM

premium
Elwood 3046:102
I actually did a tasting like this featuring 24 different light pale lagers. Interestingly enough, there was a fairly large variety in flavor and you can tell differences between even the big three. That being said, I have several friends that are stalwart Miller Lite drinkers. Some profess to hate Bud Light. Not only did none of them pick Miller Lite as their favorite (some knocked it out in the first round), one chose Bud Light as their favorite! Coors Light and Keystone Light were strong finishers due to their overall lack of flavor in my opinion. I can dig up the scaled results if anyone is interested. End results, no, people canít pick out their favorite pale lager and even if they pick something else in a blind tasting, they still go back to their brand. Sad to say, those friends still drink Miller Lite.
6/23/2013 3:16:51 PM

eswing83
They did this in the documentary Beer Wars (Bud Light vs. Miller Lite vs. Coors Light). Average people didnít pick their "favorite" beer in a blind taste test, though itís a little hard to generalize because the filmmakers might have edited some responses out.
6/23/2013 3:25:44 PM

premium
MrHangover 2456:62
you also need to put in a glass of sparkling water.. see what they think about that. Or get a bottle of Palm in there as well, since in a blind tasting itís hard to tell the difference between Palm and a regular Heineken.. funny...
6/23/2013 3:40:20 PM

premium
LinusStick 2838:47
Originally posted by MrHangover
you also need to put in a glass of sparkling water.. see what they think about that. Or get a bottle of Palm in there as well, since in a blind tasting itís hard to tell the difference between Palm and a regular Heineken.. funny...

LOOOOOOVE this idea (the sparkling water). I may dilute a BMC beer also and see how that goes. I will have video of the whole ordeal so it should be interesting
6/23/2013 4:43:17 PM

premium
wnoble 1251:
People tend to convince themselves that a beer tastes a certain way. We even do it. Also, we all eat and drink with our eyes. I saw some data published by UC Davis where trained tasters were given varying degrees of dyed samples of budweiser. These beers all tasted exactly the same. The differences were remarkable. Every colored sample tasted different to the panel. Some people even noted diacetyl in some samples. There are a lot more specifics but you get the point.
6/23/2013 5:20:29 PM

premium
Originally posted by wnoble
People tend to convince themselves that a beer tastes a certain way. We even do it. Also, we all eat and drink with our eyes. I saw some data published by UC Davis where trained tasters were given varying degrees of dyed samples of budweiser. These beers all tasted exactly the same. The differences were remarkable. Every colored sample tasted different to the panel. Some people even noted diacetyl in some samples. There are a lot more specifics but you get the point.

Not surprised by this at all. Iíve heard of research where drug companies have dyed a drug in assorted colors and then people will report different results based on the color even though its the same drug. Somewhat illogically color and art play a big part of how the human subconscious interprets reality.
6/23/2013 5:34:53 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers