RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Going to do a macro lager blind taste taste this summer to prove something

read 2120 times • 41 replies • posted 6/23/2013 1:10:19 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
sloth 2443:46
Originally posted by b33r
Iíve always wanted to do this, but canít find where they sell singles of any of these, and I donít really want like ten 6pks of random pale lagers.

One 12 pack of bud lite should do the trick.
6/25/2013 1:31:37 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
caesar 4893:272
Iíve seen and done this myself several times in the Netherlands with macro lagers, with beer nerds/geeks and with ícommoní people. There will be small differences noticed, but Iíve never seen anybody guess more than half of it right. Probably with some training it is possible, but who wants to drink several macro lagers side by side often enough to be able to identify the differences in a blind tasting? ;-)
6/25/2013 2:00:09 AM

premium
kraddel 2716:112
in belgium its been done multiple times. fun thing is when we include jupiler/ stella / maes ( te big 3 , everyone seems to think one of these 3 is the best ) and stuff like cara ( is being called homeless-peopleís beer , undrinkable, the waste of all lagers, ... ) cara always ends up in the top 3 ... when served cold.

so yeah, commercials DO play a big part. hereís a video of such an event , of a friend of mine . ( dennoman , mostly active on Beeradvocate )
6/25/2013 2:08:45 AM

finn1918 192:12
You know, we make fun of macro pale lagers for being indistinguishable, but how many of us could identify our favorite stout or IPA in a blind tasting?
6/25/2013 4:46:27 PM

premium
sloth 2443:46
Originally posted by finn1918
You know, we make fun of macro pale lagers for being indistinguishable, but how many of us could identify our favorite stout or IPA in a blind tasting?

I dont make fun of them. They suck. Blind stout or IPA tasting? yes i would have a tough time. Not as tough as pale lagers though as most are indistinguishable, imho.
6/25/2013 5:09:47 PM

premium
LinusStick 2814:47

If itís one of my favorites I could. My thing is there is not THAT much difference between Bud/Miller/Coors etc. that would make one undrinkable and one amazing. Itís too polar opposite for just a slight variation of flavor. Commercials and the media play a bigger role than flavor in macro lagers in too many people IMHO
6/25/2013 6:55:57 PM

finn1918 192:12
Originally posted by LinusStick

If itís one of my favorites I could. My thing is there is not THAT much difference between Bud/Miller/Coors etc. that would make one undrinkable and one amazing. Itís too polar opposite for just a slight variation of flavor. Commercials and the media play a bigger role than flavor in macro lagers in too many people IMHO

From my (admittedly limited) experience, some of the biggest differences lie in the "Macro, but not Big 3" pale lagers. Some of them actually have a decent amount of character, at least within the style.
6/25/2013 7:48:04 PM

ContemplateBeer 1495:107
This.

Crystal Malts (or some close variation) something in the Cascade family APA. Not many brewers have made something like that...
6/26/2013 2:29:21 AM

premium
Benzai 7220:116
Originally posted by LinusStick
I was arguing with co-workers that there is not a big difference between all of the American macro lagers flavors. It was annoying me when we would talk about beer and hear them say "I LOVE Miller Lite but I canít drink even a sip of Bud Light without spitting it out and throwing it out". First off, they know I am a beer nerd, but they still argue that there is a HUGE difference in taste between all of the macros. So I invited them to come to a blind taste test and see how accurate they are. A bunch of them said if I included Bud, Miller, Coors, Pabst, Old Milwaukee and a bunch of other macros they could even pick out which is which. Obviously I donít believe this but I am willing to bet the beer they think they like the best out of them is not the beer they will pick if you take the name, commercials and stigma out of what they are drinking. Anyone ever try something like this?

I once entered a lager blind tasting at my local pub. 9 different Dutch lagers. I won with 2 correct beers, two people had 1 correct beer and the rest had them all wrong. So I agree, it all tastes the same.
6/26/2013 2:53:45 AM

premium
BoostIPA 1184:20
Iíd get a lot more of the top 5 pale lagers correct than the top 5 IPAís or stouts in a blind taste testing.
6/26/2013 3:15:46 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers