Going to do more place ratings...

Reads 1826 • Replies 25 • Started Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:47:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

stravale
beers 3336 º places 1 º 12:47 Sat 1/17/2015

Only 1 so far, but I want to contribute more to this part of the site. Ireland is certainly in need of this and I’m also travelling to Chester and Shrewsbury this month so plenty of pubs to rate. It’s something else to do as well as scooping beers.
I’m not sure about scoring...anyone here have a particular ’system’ they use when allocating scores for ambience etc. ?

Leighton
beers 33700 º places 1204 º 13:00 Sat 1/17/2015

Here’s something I wrote on a similar thread:

I pretty much only use scoring from c. 50-100 for places. RateBeer places used to be more of a curated list (rather than a directory) where pretty much all the places included were at the very least decent. So, most of my early place ratings reflect this.

On top of that, I’m usually careful to not go to places that don’t look worthwhile. If I’m visiting a new area, I’ll target the best spots and likely wouldn’t have time to start visiting the lesser places.

That said...

0-50: not a good place, mixing some combination of low quality beer, poor selection, crappy setting and bad service.

50-60: there’s beer on tap, but likely not beer I want to drink.

60-70: an OK place, perhaps selection is limited, but there’s something here for a beer geek to do.

70-80: very decent. Somewhere I would happily go again. Good beer, good service, etc.

80-90: an exceptional place. Somewhere I would visit regularly. This place does everything well.

90-100: world-class. Superlative selection and quality, matched with a nice setting and good staff. A must-visit place if visiting its area.

Leighton
beers 33700 º places 1204 º 13:05 Sat 1/17/2015

Originally posted by stravale
Only 1 so far, but I want to contribute more to this part of the site. Ireland is certainly in need of this and I’m also travelling to Chester and Shrewsbury this month so plenty of pubs to rate. It’s something else to do as well as scooping beers.
I’m not sure about scoring...anyone here have a particular ’system’ they use when allocating scores for ambience etc. ?

Please do contribute to places. RB Places needs more ratings to make the functionality more robust.

stravale
beers 3336 º places 1 º 13:23 Sat 1/17/2015

Thanks Leighton. Do you decide the overall score first then get the categories scores to fit? (I did notice that Value and Food don’t contribute to overall score as can be N/A)

Leighton
beers 33700 º places 1204 º 14:57 Sat 1/17/2015

Thanks Leighton. Do you decide the overall score first then get the categories scores to fit? (I did notice that Value and Food don’t contribute to overall score as can be N/A)

Kind of a mix. I will usually do the categories individually and then if I think the final score is too high or low, I adjust.

BlackHaddock
beers 15433 º places 1050 º 05:12 Sun 1/18/2015

I tend to ’suck it and see’ as I score places and never read other reviews before writing mine: although I may well have read them before actually visiting the bar/pub etc etc.

Please visit Chez Sophie in Shrewsbury, a very different type of bar: Mat (minutemat on here) and Sophie are great hosts.

<*))))))><

HenrikSoegaard
beers 20693 º places 691 º 06:30 Sun 1/18/2015

I think that is a very good way to rate Places. My 50 is also the limit for a deasent place.

Originally posted by Leighton
Here’s something I wrote on a similar thread:

I pretty much only use scoring from c. 50-100 for places. RateBeer places used to be more of a curated list (rather than a directory) where pretty much all the places included were at the very least decent. So, most of my early place ratings reflect this.

On top of that, I’m usually careful to not go to places that don’t look worthwhile. If I’m visiting a new area, I’ll target the best spots and likely wouldn’t have time to start visiting the lesser places.

That said...

0-50: not a good place, mixing some combination of low quality beer, poor selection, crappy setting and bad service.

50-60: there’s beer on tap, but likely not beer I want to drink.

60-70: an OK place, perhaps selection is limited, but there’s something here for a beer geek to do.

70-80: very decent. Somewhere I would happily go again. Good beer, good service, etc.

80-90: an exceptional place. Somewhere I would visit regularly. This place does everything well.

90-100: world-class. Superlative selection and quality, matched with a nice setting and good staff. A must-visit place if visiting its area.

stravale
beers 3336 º places 1 º 07:37 Sun 1/18/2015

Originally posted by BlackHaddock

Please visit Chez Sophie in Shrewsbury, a very different type of bar: Mat (minutemat on here) and Sophie are great hosts.

<*))))))><

Certainly check that place out...as well as the Salopian Bar

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40415 º places 1239 º 08:06 Sun 1/18/2015

Leighton’s model is solid, and whilst I don’t have anything laid out of this nature, I tend to run a similar course when rating places.

The one area that I pay most attention to is that of selection.

Again - subjective as per all place ratings (see Brewdog noisy thread) but I stack up my selection raitng based on the ’best’ in the world, where as some folks tend to compare to the best of that town/city.

I’m pretty certain I’ve never given a 15 for selection - I’m still looking for that place that ticks ALL the boxes on this front.

I gave Stone Liberty station a 14, they have it pretty much nailed down for me:-

* Own beers available, both base and one off epxerimentals
* World class guest beers
* Great range of styles and decent amount of choice on tap (30 taps)
* Solid bottle list of around 100

I think to have given a 15 they would just need to have some more interesting/rarer European beers available, maybe some Cantillon goodies but not the common base beers, say FouFoune or LP Kriek.

jjsint
beers 7711 º places 1334 º 11:55 Sun 1/18/2015

I’ve rated a few places now and I have to say that I don’t have a ’system’ as such. It’s so, so subjective.

Atmosphere has to be pretty horrific to get a 1 or 2. A 3 is a bit dull, a 4 is nice but leaves something to be desired, and 5 is perfect for that moment.

Service is fairly straightforward. My base is about 7. I always add 1 for wifi. Places which are rater-friendly will normally go straight to 9 or 10. Surly or disinterested staff annoy me more than simply ignorant or inefficient.

Selection is tough. It goes down for me if the quality (esp concerning cask) is rubbish. Quantity per se less important than ingenuity of selection.

Although I used to rate most pubs I’d visit, I try to avoid rating poor places anymore but I’ve rated a few poor ones which are already on the database, often in the hope of bringing the score down. I also try not to do too many JDWs these days, they are so similar to one another (although there are a few exceptions where I try to make it clear why it’s included).

stravale
beers 3336 º places 1 º 12:17 Sun 1/18/2015

I’ll try and work out a useful consistent system using these tips above...I like the idea of adding points for wifi etc.