RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Going to Russia!

read 889 times • 21 replies • posted 6/21/2013 3:06:06 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
JulienHuxley 2549:186
When I spent 4 months in Petersburg I tanked on Baltika 7 shamelessly - it isnít that bad and itís often less than a dolllar a bottle in groceries. Enjoy one while walking down Fontanka soaking in the canal view.

Metropole is a beautiful brewpub in downtown St. Petersburg, the beer isnít fabulous but itís definitely decent and the place itself is pretty awing. It looks ridiculously expensive but it isnít by North American (nor would I guess by Australian) standards.

I loved this place: http://www.ratebeer.com/p/bar-na-mohovoi-st-petersburg/26875/ They had a whole pile of microbrews from all over on tap and they did couter-pressure filled 1l PET bottles to go.

I see that Tinkoff is now out of business, unfortunate because it was a fun place. Anyhow, craft beer is growing in Russia, tons and tons of pubs.

The Czech House in Moscow has a wide selection of Czech breweries (mainly the big names) but a lot of good stuff.

I didnít have a ton of good beer in Russia but there are certainly a lot of fun places to explore.

6/24/2013 5:45:33 AM

Private message send the author a private message

spartakbarnsley 27:
Their Porter is supposedly very good and theyíve just started making it again after a break of a couple of years. Iím more referring to the ubiquitous Baltika 7, which is truly atrocious.
6/27/2013 4:46:46 AM

premium
admin
Oakes 11866:625
As said, learn Cyrillic. Youíll need it for everything anyway.

There are a lot of brewpubs in St. Petersburg. They should all be listed here, but thereís probably some new ones.

DO drink Zhigulyovskoe! It is terrible stuff, but itís the peopleís drink from Soviet times. Youíll learn more about Russia if you drink that.

If youíre going east, there are more independent breweries in Siberia. Those beers have more character (for better and sometimes for worse).

Definitely when you see the stores that do PET fills and have 20 taps, stop in. Thereís often more interesting beers available than if you just look for glass bottles in random stores. Youíd be amazed how many small breweries there are in Russia.
6/27/2013 2:51:37 PM

Deadmoon 2:
In Moscow I would recommend going to a bottleshop called Piligrim near Savelovskaya train station. They have 5 out of 7 trappist beers (no Achel and Westvleeteren). A lot of good German beers including my favourite Schneider Tap 5 developed in collaboration with Brooklyn brewery.
As for bars, I prefer drinking at home but when I do go out I like Bobby Dazzler (mostly UK beer, the highlight is Fullerís ESB), or Lambic bar which serves mostly Belgian beers but the selection is poor.
Avoid Russian beer - itís not drinkable. Or try Russian brewed Guinness and be appalled. :-)
6/30/2013 4:18:50 AM

premium
Marduk 2017:50
Whats the point of going to Russia and not drink russian beer?

Same fate is waiting for me. Iím going to Russia, Moscow in august. So notes about small brewpubs/local brands are most welcome here.
6/30/2013 7:26:09 AM

premium
BoostIPA 1110:20
Scroll past russian brewpubs, drink pit krepkoe in the 2L plastic bottle, youíll be fine
6/30/2013 7:40:34 AM

Deadmoon 2:
Ashamed as I am to say this but Russia does not brew any beer, just a beer-like drink. Does not compare at all to any other brewing nation in the world. So your best bet here is to get a hold of good European beer.
And who could think that our rulers like Peter the Great and Catherine the second loved their imperial stouts.
6/30/2013 7:40:49 AM

Deadmoon 2:
Originally posted by BlackIPA
Scroll past russian brewpubs, drink pit krepkoe in the 2L plastic bottle, youíll be fine

The bottle is called siska in Russian, meaning a boob. That is what you would suck upon while riding a train from Moscow to your hometown after work and the warm liquid full of alcohol in it is the last thing you would think of when you think about beer
6/30/2013 7:45:49 AM

Deadmoon 2:

The bottle is called siska in Russian, meaning a boob. That is what you would suck upon while riding a train from Moscow to your hometown after work and the warm liquid full of alcohol in it is the last thing you would think of when you think about beer
6/30/2013 7:47:16 AM

premium
BoostIPA 1110:20
Originally posted by Deadmoon

I know what siska means, joppa ;)

Also, Iíve taken the overnight train from Moskva to Kostroma... It was an experience
6/30/2013 7:56:10 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers