Goose Island

Reads 2750 • Replies 30 • Started Monday, April 16, 2012 3:59:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 08:12 Tue 4/17/2012

*Goosed Island

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:57 Tue 4/17/2012

visionthing
beers 7926 º places 785 º 11:42 Tue 4/17/2012

"Goose Island is John Hall and his legacy," explained brewmaster Brett Porter. "It comes from a real culture of Midwestern values, the things that make Chicago a great place to live: Innovation, hard work, and history."

I think Brett Porter is a brilliant name for a brewmaster!

JMerritt
places 72 º 11:57 Tue 4/17/2012

Originally posted by visionthing
I think Brett Porter is a brilliant name for a brewmaster!

I accidentally made 5 gallons of brett porter. Stupid infection. I have about 4.9 gallons left if you want to taste homebrewed ass.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 15:58 Tue 4/17/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by dontcounttoday
^ I think people here news like this and let it effect the way they perceive every detail about the company from that point forward. I was just at the brewpub today. I got the same burger I have in the past several times, and it was exactly the same. The soup was fantastic. They also had many, many new beers on tap that I had never seen, including a large variety of collaborations. The stouts list was short, but thats ok, they had Juliet and even Virtue’s RedStreak. Great food, great beer, great night.

Also, I do not expect you would see any changes in their brews this early in the buyout. If BCBS drops in awesomeness by 2014 then we will be looking at a trend. I hope this does not happen.

Actually, you’re wrong about the food. They have had changes. They are trying to do more than they are capable of. I remember when they first brought on the changes to make it more like a gastropub. This was 3-4 years ago. The food went from being really solid pub food to being pretty mediocre gastropub food. They do occasionally make some standouts (the Cuban is pretty solid), but the burgers are exactly the same. Which is kind of the problem. I would have guessed that when they increased the price by $4, they would have used better meat. Also, regarding the beer, there absolutely has been a change. They shipped out production of 312 and IPA, as well as Honkers to the Red Hook plant out east in Portsmouth. They had to bring it back to Fulton due to system being completely different. I have head, however, that once they figure out how to optimize the system for Goose IPA, it should actually be better due to the way that the system handles the dry hop. At any rate, there were/are differences between the plants and product and, at this point, they are trying to get the beer to taste as close to the same as they can between the two. Regardless, I think the sale, thus far, has worked out great. AB has kept out for the most part.

how to the breweries differ with respect to dry-hopping procedures?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 16:00 Tue 4/17/2012

Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers
*Goosed Island

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 16:06 Tue 4/17/2012

I haven’t noticed a change, but then I still haven’t opened my bottle of King Henry yet.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:09 Wed 4/18/2012

Originally posted by SamGamgee
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by dontcounttoday
^ I think people here news like this and let it effect the way they perceive every detail about the company from that point forward. I was just at the brewpub today. I got the same burger I have in the past several times, and it was exactly the same. The soup was fantastic. They also had many, many new beers on tap that I had never seen, including a large variety of collaborations. The stouts list was short, but thats ok, they had Juliet and even Virtue’s RedStreak. Great food, great beer, great night.

Also, I do not expect you would see any changes in their brews this early in the buyout. If BCBS drops in awesomeness by 2014 then we will be looking at a trend. I hope this does not happen.

Actually, you’re wrong about the food. They have had changes. They are trying to do more than they are capable of. I remember when they first brought on the changes to make it more like a gastropub. This was 3-4 years ago. The food went from being really solid pub food to being pretty mediocre gastropub food. They do occasionally make some standouts (the Cuban is pretty solid), but the burgers are exactly the same. Which is kind of the problem. I would have guessed that when they increased the price by $4, they would have used better meat. Also, regarding the beer, there absolutely has been a change. They shipped out production of 312 and IPA, as well as Honkers to the Red Hook plant out east in Portsmouth. They had to bring it back to Fulton due to system being completely different. I have head, however, that once they figure out how to optimize the system for Goose IPA, it should actually be better due to the way that the system handles the dry hop. At any rate, there were/are differences between the plants and product and, at this point, they are trying to get the beer to taste as close to the same as they can between the two. Regardless, I think the sale, thus far, has worked out great. AB has kept out for the most part.

how to the breweries differ with respect to dry-hopping procedures?

Per an email that was sent to the Chicago Beer Society listserv:

"The dryhopping IS different, as opposed to dropping the hops in the top and getting extraction as they fall down to the cone, Portsmouth pumps the fermenter into another sanitized fermenter going through a smaller tank that is purged, filled with hops and purged again. The pumping of over 400bbls through this intermediary tank causes a LOT of agitation and mixing of the hops. The aroma extraction is much better, it may taste/smell different, but I, for one, don’t think it tastes worse. The aroma is heavenly."

illinismitty
beers 2271 º places 279 º 19:59 Wed 4/18/2012

The food at Clybourne is better than it used to be IMO. They went from average to good.

DocLock
beers 11541 º places 158 º 20:24 Wed 4/18/2012

The Nut Brown sucked ass.