RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Grapes in beer, lbs/gal?

read 1361 times • 13 replies • posted 8/3/2012 3:42:46 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
t0rin0 68:1448
I just assumed 2 lbs per gallon to get something pretty strong like St Lamvinus but now I知 wondering if 10 lbs of grapes (in 5 gallons) is going to increase the volume a lot or increase the abv a lot.

Also, should I be pressing them and just adding the juice or does it matter if I add all the other junk too?

In case it matters I have Tempranillo that is ready to go and soon I値l have Riesling (supposedly, some wild grape from Germany that my friends dad brought here decades ago) and Chardonnay, and maybe (if it actually ripens) some Chenin Blanc and Cinsault.
Private message Send the author a private message

JoeMcPhee 8622:511
I壇 add all the grapes - there痴 more there than just the juice. Your volume will change by about 4L (1 gallon) if you add 10 lbs.
8/3/2012 4:12:25 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Crush them, but add them skins and all.
8/3/2012 4:13:06 PM

premium
spacecoyote
Are you making a lambic-style, or an ale with fruit?

8/4/2012 1:15:43 PM

premium
Originally posted by spacecoyote

Probably should have mentioned the style. Sour/"lambic" (so as not to offend anyone). But considering how much I値l have next year I値l probably experiment with other styles as well like my Berliners and saisons.
8/4/2012 1:35:08 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3438:209
Originally posted by t0rin0

Probably should have mentioned the style. Sour/"lambic" (so as not to offend anyone). But considering how much I値l have next year I値l probably experiment with other styles as well like my Berliners and saisons.

What kind of grapes?
8/4/2012 5:40:01 PM

premium
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

What kind of grapes?

I have Tempranillo that is ready to go and soon I値l have Riesling (supposedly, some wild grape from Germany that my friends dad brought here decades ago) and Chardonnay, and maybe (if it actually ripens) some Chenin Blanc and Cinsault.

Next year there might be some Cabernet and Zinfandel available.
8/4/2012 6:43:09 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

What kind of grapes?

I have Tempranillo that is ready to go and soon I値l have Riesling (supposedly, some wild grape from Germany that my friends dad brought here decades ago) and Chardonnay, and maybe (if it actually ripens) some Chenin Blanc and Cinsault.

Next year there might be some Cabernet and Zinfandel available.

If you have the time, saisons and tripels are excellent base recipes for beers that include chardonnay and/or riesling grapes.
8/6/2012 1:43:40 PM

premium
rudolf 2342:104
I added 5 lbs of concord grapes to 2.5 gallons of lambic. They sat for 8 months before bottling. The color & flavor is great - I might increase the quantity to 3 lbs/gal next time, but I知 really quite happy with it @ 2 lbs/gal.

Cheers,
Rudy
8/6/2012 2:07:35 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3438:209
I壇 also recommend reaching out to John Laffler with Goose Island as he has produced a number of beers with grapes, sours and saisons alike...
8/7/2012 7:58:52 AM

OldSock
We did 8 lbs of frozen Cabernet Sauvignon in about 4-4.5 gallons on wine barrel aged lambic-ish sour. After four months it was beautiful. Great fresh berry (raspberry especially) in the nose, lovely pink-purple color. Took first in the first round of the NHCs this year.
8/7/2012 10:31:51 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add