RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Great Taste of the Midwest 2012 Thread

read 22011 times • 397 replies • posted 5/31/2012 8:06:08 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40

premium
TheAlum 5909:10
4th year.

Me, the missus, drewbeerme, and his Mrs. will be in Madison. Likely Friday.

Grabbed the tickets at in person sales though.

6/1/2012 6:22:12 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Tooch4321 11:
Originally posted by TheAlum
4th year.

And someone opened up that bottle of BA Long Thai while I was gone for like one hour...
6/1/2012 6:26:37 AM

premium
Originally posted by Tooch4321
4th year.

And someone opened up that bottle of BA Long Thai while I was gone for like one hour...

(Thatís NOT me giving you a handy).
6/1/2012 6:27:18 AM

premium
chriso 7428:436
No offence intended but why is such a major event just a single day? And not even a whole day at that. Here in the UK, even small regional beer festivals run for two whole days (that is 11am to 11pm or thereabouts) minimum. And thatís pretty rare. Most are three whole days or longer. It gives far more people the opportunity to go. Most are walk in (and walk out) whenever you want and very few are advance ticket only. They are mostly pay as you go of course.
6/1/2012 6:30:32 AM

premium
Originally posted by chriso
No offence intended but why is such a major event just a single day? And not even a whole day at that. Here in the UK, even small regional beer festivals run for two whole days (that is 11am to 11pm or thereabouts) minimum. And thatís pretty rare. Most are three whole days or longer. It gives far more people the opportunity to go. Most are walk in (and walk out) whenever you want and very few are advance ticket only. They are mostly pay as you go of course.

A lot of us hear what you are saying. And thatís why so many fun events are Friday, where all the breweries in town host their own parties. When it comes down to it, the event is still thrown by a local homebrew club (The Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild) and itís a ton of work for people to put on who have regular jobs and need to get all the permits, ameneties, etc. worked out.

I think they feel if they go the route with paying organizers, theyíll lose what they like best about the festival.
6/1/2012 6:33:57 AM

Tooch4321 11:
If you consider all the Pre-GTMW events that take place in Madison the night before which pretty much exclusively pour the more elusive releases, I would say itís more of a two-day affair. The festival itself is more of the icing on the cake and you are basically handed a glass and set loose upon a multitude of beers with unlimited amounts of pours.
6/1/2012 6:37:39 AM

premium
madvike 2905:3

A lot of us hear what you are saying. And thatís why so many fun events are Friday, where all the breweries in town host their own parties. When it comes down to it, the event is still thrown by a local homebrew club (The Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild) and itís a ton of work for people to put on who have regular jobs and need to get all the permits, ameneties, etc. worked out.

I think they feel if they go the route with paying organizers, theyíll lose what they like best about the festival.

I would love it if it were multiple days, but my wife probably wouldnít.
6/1/2012 6:41:28 AM

premium
madvike 2905:3
And I feel like I need to wear a "My Ratebeer Name is _____" nametag, otherwise Iíll be walking past RB people all day without knowing it.
6/1/2012 6:42:23 AM

premium
chriso 7428:436
When it comes down to it, the event is still thrown by a local homebrew club (The Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild) and itís a ton of work for people to put on who have regular jobs and need to get all the permits, ameneties, etc. worked out.

The same goes for the vast majority of UK beer festivals too though. Hereís a couple of examples
http://www.readingbeerfestival.org.uk/2012
http://www.cambridgebeerfestival.com/viewnode.php?id=3
I donít have attendance figures for Reading this year yet but it will have been 25,000+. Cambridge had over 40,000 this year. All entirely organised, set up, managed and staffed by volunteers.
6/1/2012 6:46:05 AM

premium
When it comes down to it, the event is still thrown by a local homebrew club (The Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild) and itís a ton of work for people to put on who have regular jobs and need to get all the permits, ameneties, etc. worked out.

The same goes for the vast majority of UK beer festivals too though. Hereís a couple of examples
http://www.readingbeerfestival.org.uk/2012
http://www.cambridgebeerfestival.com/viewnode.php?id=3
I donít have attendance figures for Reading this year yet but it will have been 25,000+. Cambridge had over 40,000 this year. All entirely organised, set up, managed and staffed by volunteers.

You guys "ball" harder than us?

I also think one of the most important parts of the festival is the park.

I donít think the city will let more than the 6000 people in.. and I believe MHTG has to re-sod/repair all the grass afterwards..

Either way, Friday is just as fun (so long as you get to bed early)
6/1/2012 6:48:21 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer