Great Taste of the Midwest 2012 Thread

Reads 27560 • Replies 397 • Started Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:06:08 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 09:15 Mon 8/13/2012

Originally posted by Tooch4321
Just a heads up, Maragrita Sofie was basically 50% Sofie blended with Big Star maragritas and that’s it...

That makes perfect sense, actually.

Also, great seeing everyone that I did run into and sorry if I didn’t! Nice meeting a few folks that I see online all of the time but hadn’t met in real life. A great time was had for sure!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:18 Mon 8/13/2012

I don’t know if Margarita Sofie will end up rateable.. so I’m holding my review out until I figure it out.

I’ll let everyone know when I do.

Tooch4321
beers 11 º 09:38 Mon 8/13/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Just a heads up, Maragrita Sofie was basically 50% Sofie blended with Big Star maragritas and that’s it...

Also, great seeing everyone that I did run into and sorry if I didn’t! Nice meeting a few folks that I see online all of the time but hadn’t met in real life. A great time was had for sure!

Yep...sometimes things are just that simple, although others wouldn’t believe it. Sofie + Big Star Margaritas = Margarita Sofie, pure rocket science!

Great finally putting a face with the name as well...

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:05 Mon 8/13/2012

I never even saw the marg Sofie. :(

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:09 Mon 8/13/2012

Originally posted by drowland
I never even saw the marg Sofie. :(

It was really a keg they brought for themselves.. but late in the day they started giving it out to all the Chicago folks mulling around.

It wasn’t on a jockeybox.. just a keg in the back they had tapped.

nuplastikk
beers 9791 º places 73 º 12:24 Mon 8/13/2012

Originally posted by tyler_mn
I was pretty upset that Jolly Pumpkin was out of all their beer by 4:00.

The sobrehumano was gone well before 2. Either the volunteers did a lot of damage before the gaits opened or they brought a real piddly amoiunt..im guessing a 2 gallon keg. They run out early every year, and rarely have a line before that.

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 12:36 Mon 8/13/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

Yep...sometimes things are just that simple, although others wouldn’t believe it. Sofie + Big Star Margaritas = Margarita Sofie, pure rocket science!

Great finally putting a face with the name as well...

Kind of along the same lines, I thought the Brewery Creek Arnold Palmer was delicious, and I wrote up a nice rating. Then I found out it was non-alcoholic and intended for designated drivers. No wonder it tasted like there was no beer in it.

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 13:02 Mon 8/13/2012

Originally posted by nuplastikk

The sobrehumano was gone well before 2. Either the volunteers did a lot of damage before the gaits opened or they brought a real piddly amoiunt..im guessing a 2 gallon keg. They run out early every year, and rarely have a line before that.

Wow. I’m glad I picked up a bottle at Riley’s then. The line I couldn’t fathom was Perennial. You expect Goose Island, FFF, New Glarus, etc to back up. Someone must have spread the word beforehand about none of their beers being anything less than spectacular.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 20:20 Tue 8/14/2012

Originally posted by Brigadier

Wow. I’m glad I picked up a bottle at Riley’s then. The line I couldn’t fathom was Perennial. You expect Goose Island, FFF, New Glarus, etc to back up. Someone must have spread the word beforehand about none of their beers being anything less than spectacular.

Yeah this confused the shit out of me because I thought the line was for Upland Reserve next to them, who were being weird dicks, I might add.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 20:23 Tue 8/14/2012

Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by Brigadier

Yeah this confused the shit out of me because I thought the line was for Upland Reserve next to them, who were being weird dicks, I might add.

There was a lot of weirdness from a lot of different breweries for sure overall. That being said, the awesomeness far outweighed the negatives.