RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Guinness

read 4051 times • 57 replies • posted 1/29/2011 4:33:51 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

premium
dynamiteninja 1587:50
Originally posted by FatPhil
I avoided Guinness for years, bit decided to do it for the tick (and then a dozen or so rerates) in Ireland a couple of years ago. Luckily we managed to even find some pubs that had all three big-name stouts, and I believe I gave myself every opportunity to slag it off. Yet I couldnít. Whilst it was the worst of the 7 stouts I had in Ireland (3 biggies, 3 regulars @Porterhouse, and the Porterhouse bottled special), it still wasnít actually bad. It had a clear connection to beer ingredients, and none of the things I consider brewing flaws. Slight blandness was its only crime.

Guinness the company, however, I could easily slag off - after receiving my ífreeí pint at the top of the Storehouse museum (cost of entry ~14e), I was served the most metallic rank crap that has ever had the had the harp emblazened upon it.

Hmm, perhaps I should adjust my rating to reflect that pint rather than the vastly better ones that I had, as I always like to rate the beer as the brewer intended it. };-)

Finally someone who isnít blinded by Marxist ideology. Big company; mass distribution = HATE It could be Oakham Citra or Punk IPA for all they care, they will hate it for what it is and what it represents.
1/31/2011 5:31:02 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
cgarvieuk 15163:150
Originally posted by FatPhil
Guinness the company, however, I could easily slag off - after receiving my ífreeí pint at the top of the Storehouse museum (cost of entry ~14e), I was served the most metallic rank crap that has ever had the had the harp emblazened upon it.

Hmm, perhaps I should adjust my rating to reflect that pint rather than the vastly better ones that I had, as I always like to rate the beer as the brewer intended it. };-)

Yeah dont get stella or me onto the Topic of Guinness without wanting to here just how bad the beer was in the Storehouse Museum. I struggle to think of anywhere else we had it that bad, yet in a small drinking mans pub in Dublin, i had the best of all the Guiness ive drank.

I cant expain it. As Gazza says its all Keg and shouldnt vary. But on that trip, (pre rate beer) we drank a lot of Guiness 1 very bad, 1 very good, and most of it just midling.

As for why it made it so high up the list, i suspect its there from different people who put the rest of the beers on the list.

Many of the hard core group will have rated the Thornbridge, marble etc high.

I suspect that Guinness was rated high by people with lower overall rates, as its a beer they like. Thats perfectly fair. Thats the system we have.
Over all the UK list if not as wide as id like to see it but its got some of my Favourite UK beers there. Theres good representation by Brewers i think are good UK brewers. All round i dont think its to bad a list
1/31/2011 11:10:36 PM

premium
Gary 1445:3

Its the "im a Guinness drinker" mentality that is lame.
what i mean is people who have never sampled any other stouts than Guinness, Murphys and maybe Beamish and think theyíre drinking íblack goldí or some shit....

People ike what they like, sure, but iíll drink Lion Stout from Sri Lanka thanks.
2/1/2011 5:40:02 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by Gary

People ike what they like, sure, but iíll drink Lion Stout from Sri Lanka thanks.

I wonít...assuming this is the same as they had at the spoons fest in October. Well I would rather than a Guinness.
2/1/2011 7:46:14 AM

premium
madmitch76 16098:144
Originally posted by Erlangernick

I wonít...assuming this is the same as they had at the spoons fest in October. Well I would rather than a Guinness.

That Spoons beer was a poor half strength version of the bottled Lions Stout.
2/1/2011 8:59:37 AM

premium
Gary 1445:3
Originally posted by Erlangernick

No , no the real 8 % bottled Sri Lankan stout , as its been for years - not some piss poor 5 % version brewed for that Wetherspoon festival.
2/1/2011 9:29:48 AM

Gazza 726:163
Originally posted by dynamiteninja
Finally someone who isnít blinded by Marxist ideology

Whatís wrong with Marxism? He did predict this crap the Capitalists have got us into... and Marxism isnít totalitarianism or demigogue communism, but thatís another story.

And Guinness is still shit no matter who makes it or where itís made. It used to be okay, now itís crap... I judge beer purely on what I have in front of me and I donít want Guinness in front of me, thanks.
2/1/2011 12:50:24 PM

planky84 2143:20
Originally posted by Gazza
Originally posted by dynamiteninja
Finally someone who isnít blinded by Marxist ideology

Whatís wrong with Marxism? He did predict this crap the Capitalists have got us into... and Marxism isnít totalitarianism or demigogue communism, but thatís another story.

And Guinness is still shit no matter who makes it or where itís made. It used to be okay, now itís crap... I judge beer purely on what I have in front of me and I donít want Guinness in front of me, thanks.

well said sir! My sentiments entirely.
2/1/2011 12:53:17 PM

AndrewC 332:1
Originally posted by Gazza
And Guinness is still shit no matter who makes it or where itís made. It used to be okay, now itís crap...

Drawing inferences from various posts youíve made recently Iíve concluded that itís your opinion that all beer is crap unless...

a) you brewed it,
b) it stopped being brewed 20 years ago
c) it has the IBU rating of an industrial disinfectant
d) the brewery is so tiny even its neighbours donít know itís there

Personally, I like Guinness Original.
2/2/2011 10:45:35 AM

Gazza 726:163
Originally posted by AndrewC
Drawing inferences from various posts youíve made recently Iíve concluded that itís your opinion that all beer is crap unless...
a) you brewed it,
b) it stopped being brewed 20 years ago
c) it has the IBU rating of an industrial disinfectant
d) the brewery is so tiny even its neighbours donít know itís there

Not exactly...

Iíve just got a very low threshold for beer I donít like which doesnít always have to be 100+ IBUs, brewed by Dave and I or from a tiny brewery... it has to be a well-made beer which shows brewing skill (not necessarily excessiveness) and which, most importantly, I enjoy drinking.

I love hoppy beer. I love bitter beer. But I also love proper milds, some traditional UK bitters, and much more... I travel all over trying over a thousand beers a year (Iím not so desperate these days) and thus drink a lot of rubbish and some good stuff. I always try to drink the local micro-brew as, in my experience, drinking local beer as close to source as possible is the best way of drinking beer and not from a bottle several months old.

I donít like many beers from UK regional brewers as theyíre tired, bland and boring in general and do nothing for me, although itís good to see St Austell and Adnams doing new things and hope it succeeds for them, whilst people like Robinsons just keep making the same old-fashioned swill year after year in the hope itíll sell. Not to me it wonít.

I dislike multionationals in any guise but mainly as the beers they produce are, on the whole, atrocious. There are exceptions, Zagrebacka Tomislav and Zywiec Porter being two, but in the main I avoid big brewers as their beers are industrial swill for the masses with low expectations.

I could go on... but thatíll do for now!

Originally posted by AndrewC
Personally, I like Guinness Original.

Good for you. I hate it, even more so as I remember how it used to be when it was half-decent.
2/2/2011 10:58:09 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers