RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Guinness

read 4050 times • 57 replies • posted 1/29/2011 4:33:51 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

haddonsman 1234:56
I hate Guinness because it made me fat.
I hate Guinness because it took away ten years of my drinking life when I could have been enjoying other beer,
I hate Guinness because itís all about the brand and not about the beer.

Do I still drink it at weddings, funerals and parties when thereís not even a sniff of a decent beer available? Course I do. But only if thereís no Stella on...
2/2/2011 12:19:20 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
dynamiteninja 1587:50
Until relatively recently the Guinness Original in the UK was bottle-conditioned and until very recently the Guinness Original in Ireland was bottle-conditioned. <sighs wistfully>
2/2/2011 12:26:32 PM

FatPhil 9591:307
Originally posted by dynamiteninja
Until relatively recently the Guinness Original in the UK was bottle-conditioned and until very recently the Guinness Original in Ireland was bottle-conditioned. <sighs wistfully>

I seem to remember BC guiness, in the tiny (284ml?) bottles, disappearing some time in the late 80s. I wouldnít consider that particularly recently.
2/2/2011 12:36:19 PM

premium
dynamiteninja 1587:50
Originally posted by FatPhil

I seem to remember BC guiness, in the tiny (284ml?) bottles, disappearing some time in the late 80s. I wouldnít consider that particularly recently.

I said írelatively recentlyí. Given the 250 year plus history of Guinness it is relatively recently.
2/2/2011 12:47:15 PM

haddonsman 1234:56
I seem to remember BC guiness, in the tiny (284ml?) bottles, disappearing some time in the late 80s.

That was me. I drank them all.
2/2/2011 12:55:25 PM

premium
Fin 7671:607

Are you sure? Iím with the Ninja man on this, I thought BC Guinness disappeared much more recently than that, I havenít had it for many years Iíll admit but surely it went on well into the nineties.
2/2/2011 1:48:01 PM

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Originally posted by Gazza
Finally someone who isnít blinded by Marxist ideology

Whatís wrong with Marxism? He did predict this crap the Capitalists have got us into... and Marxism isnít totalitarianism or demigogue communism, but thatís another story.

And Guinness is still shit no matter who makes it or where itís made. It used to be okay, now itís crap... I judge beer purely on what I have in front of me and I donít want Guinness in front of me, thanks.

Completly agree. Anything on nitro keg is a utter mess of a beer anyway, as its designed to ensure you get as little aroma and taste as possible, give you a fake mouthfeel, all so it looks good. Guinness itself is a dreadful drink anyway, its just a roasty flavoured alcopop.
2/3/2011 1:00:40 AM

premium
Gary 1445:3
Some people despite rating a good few beers keep their high scores for beers like Guinness through sentimental reasons. Its surprising to look at some peoples top 10 ,with like 2 thousand beers rated and Guinness is up there as a 5 amongst some great shit .
2/3/2011 9:32:32 AM

premium
SilkTork 5274:82
I think Guinness is trashed on this site rather too much. Itís quite a drinkable beer. The main problem is that it is generally served too cold, so the flavour doesnít come through. But when in a cask-less pub, Guinness is a solid fall back with more flavour and character than a keg lager.

2/3/2011 11:55:14 AM

Gazza 726:163
Originally posted by SilkTork
The main problem is that it is generally served too cold, so the flavour doesnít come through

Thereís a good reason itís served so cold - the flavour is putrid.

When in Dublin a few years back watching a band I had a pint of Guinness for curiosities sake and, predictably, it was pretty awful - although Iíd been drinking Wrasslers previously so just about anything would taste like piss after that.

I forgot about it and only remembered when the band had finished so took a gulp... all I can say is Iíve never had my tongue ripped out by harsh astringent hops that much in years, and the roast flavour was almost absent and, instead, it tasted of metallic caramel.

Disgusting swill, and I shanít be drinking any next weekend when I go scooping Eire craft beer in Dublin!!!
2/3/2011 12:54:20 PM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers