Guinness

Reads 4868 • Replies 57 • Started Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:33:51 AM CT

Thread Frozen

bobinlondon
beers 1286 º places 14 º 14:29 Fri 2/4/2011

According to an old GBG that I have just dug out, BC Guinness was phased out in 1993 (so consistent with Phil’s memories).

Gazza
beers 726 º places 164 º 06:14 Sat 2/5/2011

Originally posted by bobinlondon
According to an old GBG that I have just dug out, BC Guinness was phased out in 1993 (so consistent with Phil’s memories).

My scooping notes say April 93 was the last batch of BC Guinness so there’s another agreement!

Gazza
beers 726 º places 164 º 06:17 Sat 2/5/2011

Originally posted by SamGamgee
There are a lot of good beers over in the US that are made with extracts.

Isn’t it the case, though, that these beers are made with the "new" CO2 extracted stuff rather than normal hop extract? I’ve heard good things about CO2 extract and wouldn’t mind giving it a go.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 06:31 Sat 2/5/2011

Originally posted by Gazza

Isn’t it the case, though, that these beers are made with the "new" CO2 extracted stuff rather than normal hop extract? I’ve heard good things about CO2 extract and wouldn’t mind giving it a go.

I would be interested in trying some of these hop exstract beers, as we’re going to b experimenting on our homebrew kit at the brewery, to see what crazy things we can do with them. Maybe something like a 4.3% golden chappy with 3% of the liquid volume being hop exstract so that its about 400 million IBU’s.

InvalidStout
07:14 Sat 2/5/2011

But they’re not made just with extracts, are they?

Gazza
beers 726 º places 164 º 09:33 Sat 2/5/2011

Originally posted by InvalidStout
But they’re not made just with extracts, are they?

Yes, I thought the extracts were used for the bittering charge to cut down on the amount of hops in the kettle to improve wort yield?

Or am I wrong as usual?

FatPhil
beers 13276 º places 448 º 16:51 Sun 2/6/2011

Originally posted by Gazza
Originally posted by bobinlondon

My scooping notes say April 93 was the last batch of BC Guinness so there’s another agreement!

Thanks both! And credit to Fin who prompted me to reevaluate my earlier late-80s estimate.