RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Hair of the Dog Dave Clone

read 11469 times • 89 replies • posted 6/2/2009 8:50:03 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

goldtwins 4320:5
Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by joet
Iím going to go ahead and ice some crappy beer and drink the frozen solution and let you guys know what happens.

I think youíre in for a treat!

Considering eisbier is a style using freezing to greater concentrate alcohol then one might assume that under certain or most conditions icing will produce disproportionate icing of water and alcohol.

Iíve decided on an 06 Black Chocolate Stout. Iím going to pour the beer into a bowl and stick it in the freezer along with a small strainer, and will skim the ice every 10-15 minutes until Iíve got about 50% off. That sound like it make sense to people who know more about this stuff than me?

Matt TBS and myself did this exact thing with this exact beer. We were supposed to give a lecture on eisbeers and provide one. Well the day before the meeting we still had not brewed anything. So we stuck a bowl of a BCS 6 pack in the freezer and kept straining. the removed ice was an odd color and tasted gross so we didn’t try drinking the whole thing for alcohol. The beer was stronger and concentrated yes but no ABV numbers will be provided as I don’t remember any.
6/2/2009 7:12:03 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Dickinsonbeer 5076:31
just give me or better yet, dorwart a sample. I gave him a sample of a double Iced BW a few years ago which I thought to be 32% abv, but turned out to be 19.30% by gas chromatograph. So there can be huge differences in expected abv.
6/2/2009 7:22:21 PM

puzzl 3254:138
Originally posted by goldtwins
Iím going to go ahead and ice some crappy beer and drink the frozen solution and let you guys know what happens.

Considering eisbier is a style using freezing to greater concentrate alcohol then one might assume that under certain or most conditions icing will produce disproportionate icing of water and alcohol.

Iíve decided on an 06 Black Chocolate Stout. Iím going to pour the beer into a bowl and stick it in the freezer along with a small strainer, and will skim the ice every 10-15 minutes until Iíve got about 50% off. That sound like it make sense to people who know more about this stuff than me?

Matt TBS and myself did this exact thing with this exact beer. We were supposed to give a lecture on eisbeers and provide one. Well the day before the meeting we still had not brewed anything. So we stuck a bowl of a BCS 6 pack in the freezer and kept straining. the removed ice was an odd color and tasted gross so we didnít try drinking the whole thing for alcohol. The beer was stronger and concentrated yes but no ABV numbers will be provided as I donít remember any.

I’ve frozen out 2 ounces so far, though my freezer blows so the last hour was totally wasted as it warmed up to about 36. I’ve moved it to a colder section, hopefully I can have it half out by 9 or something so I can have ample time to experiment. What’s even worse is that I can’t have a beer while I wait as killing my sobriety will make the tipsy test far more difficult.
6/2/2009 7:31:31 PM

fredandboboflo 1570:62
I think the abv of all beers should be determined by Andy’s tipsy test.
6/2/2009 8:14:03 PM

Alright, I got (almost) 6 ounces frozen out (I got sick of waiting), and I’m drinking it now. It is as black as the regular beer, and not as viscous. The nose is similar to un-eised but lighter, thinner. The body is quite light, a pinch watery but it is still actually pretty nice, like a low grav stout. It’s tough to say whether there is any alcohol or not purely by tasting, so I’m just gonna go ahead and chug the rest of this and report back in 20 minutes. Unfortunately I just ate (I was hungry damnit) so that kind of screws things up.
6/2/2009 8:18:05 PM

Ddue tnhiss tuf is perttty goodI ytknk there may sitll be som alcoahal in ehwere.
6/2/2009 8:23:10 PM

premium
TheBeerSommelier
Originally posted by goldtwins

Matt TBS and myself did this exact thing with this exact beer. We were supposed to give a lecture on eisbeers and provide one. Well the day before the meeting we still had not brewed anything. So we stuck a bowl of a BCS 6 pack in the freezer and kept straining. the removed ice was an odd color and tasted gross so we didnít try drinking the whole thing for alcohol. The beer was stronger and concentrated yes but no ABV numbers will be provided as I donít remember any.

Good times.
6/2/2009 8:24:07 PM

Dickinsonbeer 5076:31
Ddue tnhiss tuf is perttty goodI ytknk there may sitll be som alcoahal in ehwere.

are you trying to copy drunk me?
6/2/2009 8:48:09 PM

Alright, time to drink the concentrated stuff. I had a very, very mild buzz from 6oz of the frozen portion, I’d wager the alcohol content to be in the 3-4% range. The concentrated portion is surprisingly not that concentrated tasting
6/2/2009 9:07:47 PM

JoeMcPhee 8551:510
It has to do with the fact that mixtures don’t behave like equal proportions of their constituent parts. Water and ethanol form an azeotrope which will not purify beyond a certain point. For heat distillation, this occurs at a mixture of about 98% ethanol and 2% water... for freeze distillation, it is closer to 30% with a home setup. The situation you are describing though is one that is even more complicated because of the presence of sugar. Nobody (to my knowledge) has done a systematic analysis of this though.

When you freeze beer, you don’t remove all of the ethanol from the frozen section... a 5% beer will freeze solid. You do certainly concentrate it, but you also concentrate the sugars. By the same token the slurry left behind still has some ethanol and sugar in it. Like I said, you don’t concentrate these at the same rate, because sugar and ethanol have very different properties. If you want to know the ABV of your beer, you need to have it tested, either by GC or LC.

I don’t really care if you don’t believe it... keep doing math to convince yourself that it’s right... I’ll believe the lab report.
6/2/2009 10:16:05 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add