RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Hair of the Dog Dave Clone

read 11023 times • 89 replies • posted 6/2/2009 8:50:03 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

premium
puzzl 3237:138
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by OldSock
It wonít be for a couple of weeks, but we will have the answer. It turns out one of the science types in my homebrew club has the equipment to measure alcohol content in his home lab. We arenít going to have the time to get together for the 4 hour test until after the 4th, so donít expect the results anytime soon.

All prognostications welcome, Iím going to say 20%+.

Do you know what technique he uses for determining it? There are some that will work, and some that wonít.

Never enough for you, eh, McPhee!

I’m gonna put my money on 16.5%.
6/12/2009 11:09:08 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
JoeMcPhee 8188:502
Originally posted by puzzl
It wonít be for a couple of weeks, but we will have the answer. It turns out one of the science types in my homebrew club has the equipment to measure alcohol content in his home lab. We arenít going to have the time to get together for the 4 hour test until after the 4th, so donít expect the results anytime soon.

All prognostications welcome, Iím going to say 20%+.

Do you know what technique he uses for determining it? There are some that will work, and some that wonít.

Never enough for you, eh, McPhee!

Iím gonna put my money on 16.5%.

Hey man, the first thing they teach you in Ph.D. school is to question everything.
6/12/2009 11:15:15 AM

OldSock

I’m not sure, but I believe it is a slow distillation method (thus the 4 hours it takes). What methods would and wouldn’t work and why? I’ll post pictures of the whole thing on the blog when we get around to doing it.
6/12/2009 11:35:50 AM

wetherel 1836:83
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode, where they were testing yogurt for fat content.
6/12/2009 11:45:04 AM

premium

Iím not sure, but I believe it is a slow distillation method (thus the 4 hours it takes). What methods would and wouldnít work and why? Iíll post pictures of the whole thing on the blog when we get around to doing it.

Anything that measures OG/SG won’t work. If it involves actual direct detection of the alcohol present in the beer (like GC or LC) it is fine. Distillation might work, although I’ve never heard of that type of approach being used for ABV determination.
6/12/2009 1:55:55 PM

OldSock

Iím not sure, but I believe it is a slow distillation method (thus the 4 hours it takes). What methods would and wouldnít work and why? Iíll post pictures of the whole thing on the blog when we get around to doing it.

Anything that measures OG/SG wonít work. If it involves actual direct detection of the alcohol present in the beer (like GC or LC) it is fine. Distillation might work, although Iíve never heard of that type of approach being used for ABV determination.

Cool, whatever the method is it will be a direct measurement of alcohol, this guys knows his stuff.
6/12/2009 2:07:51 PM

premium
puzzl 3237:138
Joe what do you think the ABV will be? I demand a guess.
6/12/2009 2:17:25 PM

premium

19.5% ABV is my guess... are we guessing on actual Dave or on the HB version of Dave? I can’t even remember what the hell we’re talking about anymore.
6/12/2009 2:41:41 PM

premium
MaxxDaddy 392:31

19.5% ABV is my guess... are we guessing on actual Dave or on the HB version of Dave? I canít even remember what the hell weíre talking about anymore.

HB Dave. I’m going to guess 17.2%
6/12/2009 2:42:21 PM

OldSock

19.5% ABV is my guess... are we guessing on actual Dave or on the HB version of Dave? I canít even remember what the hell weíre talking about anymore.

We are guessing on HB Dave, since I have no actual Dave to test. Are you telling me this whole stupid thing was over .5% ABV? Earlier you said you thought I was off by 5% or more.
6/12/2009 2:53:24 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add