RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Hair of the Dog Dave Clone


read 11436 times • 89 replies • posted 6/2/2009 8:50:03 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

premium
MaxxDaddy 407:31
Originally posted by OldSock
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by puzzl
Joe what do you think the ABV will be? I demand a guess.

19.5% ABV is my guess... are we guessing on actual Dave or on the HB version of Dave? I can’t even remember what the hell we’re talking about anymore.


We are guessing on HB Dave, since I have no actual Dave to test. Are you telling me this whole stupid thing was over .5% ABV? Earlier you said you thought I was off by 5% or more.


He thinks actual Dave is 19.5%, which would be 9.5% lower than what’s listed.
6/12/2009 2:56:20 PM

Private message send the author a private message


puzzl 3252:138
Originally posted by OldSock
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by puzzl
Joe what do you think the ABV will be? I demand a guess.

19.5% ABV is my guess... are we guessing on actual Dave or on the HB version of Dave? I can’t even remember what the hell we’re talking about anymore.


We are guessing on HB Dave, since I have no actual Dave to test. Are you telling me this whole stupid thing was over .5% ABV? Earlier you said you thought I was off by 5% or more.


I think he’s guessing on actual Dave, not your homebrew.
6/12/2009 2:59:07 PM

Private message send the author a private message


JoeMcPhee 8534:508
Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by OldSock
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by puzzl
Joe what do you think the ABV will be? I demand a guess.

19.5% ABV is my guess... are we guessing on actual Dave or on the HB version of Dave? I can’t even remember what the hell we’re talking about anymore.


We are guessing on HB Dave, since I have no actual Dave to test. Are you telling me this whole stupid thing was over .5% ABV? Earlier you said you thought I was off by 5% or more.


I think he’s guessing on actual Dave, not your homebrew.

Yeah, I was talking about regular Dave... I’ll put yours at ~14.5%
6/12/2009 10:52:55 PM

Private message send the author a private message


OldSock
We should (finally) have an answer on Sunday.
7/24/2009 3:21:43 PM

Private message send the author a private message


puzzl 3252:138
Originally posted by OldSock
We should (finally) have an answer on Sunday.


woohoo!
7/24/2009 3:30:54 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
CaptainCougar 7132:142
Perhaps this is what is done in the distillation method, but what about measuring the SG of the finished uncarbonated beer in a heat-resistant glass graduated cylinder for a known volume, and then heating that cylinder to 200 F or perhaps even the boiling point of water to cook off all the alcohol. Replace the volume of liquid that was vaporized with distilled water (once the remaining brew cools down to its original temperature) and remeasure the SG. Then you have the SG of the beer with alcohol and without. From there it’s simple algebra to get the abv. Any reasons why this wouldn’t work?
7/24/2009 4:16:15 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
after4ever 6231:231
Originally posted by CaptainCougar
Any reasons why this wouldn’t work?

Call me crazy, but any Dave I get my hands on is getting dranked, not boiled.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.
7/24/2009 4:19:27 PM

Private message send the author a private message


telejunkie
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by OldSock
Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by puzzl
Joe what do you think the ABV will be? I demand a guess.

19.5% ABV is my guess... are we guessing on actual Dave or on the HB version of Dave? I can’t even remember what the hell we’re talking about anymore.


We are guessing on HB Dave, since I have no actual Dave to test. Are you telling me this whole stupid thing was over .5% ABV? Earlier you said you thought I was off by 5% or more.


I think he’s guessing on actual Dave, not your homebrew.

Yeah, I was talking about regular Dave... I’ll put yours at ~14.5%


The thing that struck me was when oldsock mentioned a while back that he noticed that alcohol on his tongue first before the burn in the throat. I wish I had a reference to cite here, but I was at a wine tasting seminar, and the speaker (who is a reputable source in the wine industry) said that the human tongue begins to detect ethanol at roughly 18%abv. My take, is that Joe’s estimate is on the conservative side and the hb dave is over 18%. Interested to see what it clocks in at.
7/24/2009 4:38:45 PM

Private message send the author a private message


premium
CaptainCougar 7132:142
Originally posted by after4ever
Originally posted by CaptainCougar
Any reasons why this wouldn’t work?

Call me crazy, but any Dave I get my hands on is getting dranked, not boiled.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.


I realize it’s a drawback, but I figure this is something the brewer/distiller could measure and theoretically they would have a larger volume of it than one bottle.
7/24/2009 4:42:49 PM

Private message send the author a private message


puzzl 3252:138
Originally posted by CaptainCougar
Perhaps this is what is done in the distillation method, but what about measuring the SG of the finished uncarbonated beer in a heat-resistant glass graduated cylinder for a known volume, and then heating that cylinder to 200 F or perhaps even the boiling point of water to cook off all the alcohol. Replace the volume of liquid that was vaporized with distilled water (once the remaining brew cools down to its original temperature) and remeasure the SG. Then you have the SG of the beer with alcohol and without. From there it’s simple algebra to get the abv. Any reasons why this wouldn’t work?


This is a shot in the dark, I’m certainly no chemist, but I don’t think distillation will achieve a perfect removal of 100% alcohol and nothing else. How would we make other spirits of that were the case? The source wouldn’t even matter.

Perhaps I am missing something though.
7/24/2009 4:54:45 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Events
membership
Log In
Edit Personal Info
Buy Premium Membership
Your Messages
the best
RateBeer Best
100 Beer Club
The Top 50